Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prelude to Axanar

Options
  • 17-07-2014 10:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭

Why have I not heard of this???

In 2014, fans and former cast members organized a "fan" short film called Prelude to Axanar, setting up a Kickstarter project with a target of $10,000, but which raised well over $100,000 instead. This film is slated for release Winter of 2014, to be followed by a full-length, feature film Star Trek: Axanar, funded by a much larger kickstarter project. These films star Richard Hatch, J. G. Hertzler, Kate Vernon, Gary Graham, Michael Hogan, and Tony Todd, all mainstream Science Fiction actors from Star Trek and the rebooted Battlestar Galactica.[88]

The official first trailer for this film has already been released.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Trek#Notable_fan_fiction

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I've been tracking it for sometime. Prelude to Anaxar was the first piece of the overall crowd funding project and it looks very good.

I get a ds9/BSG feel from it which I love. Having said that, I also love the ST Continues series as it is pure Star Trek.

It's a good time for Trek fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

'Continues' is amazing, really amazing. But this looks like what the JJ films should have been...is it set in the original timeline Federation/Klingon war era? Also, I was sold on it when I heard it had Tony Todd.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

I threw in for this kickstarter a few weeks ago. 'Prelude' is a 20 minute short film that tells the story (in documentary format) of the run up to the battle of Axanar that took place prior to TOS. Kirk studied one of the heroes of the battle, Garth of Izar, during his academy term and Garth himself appears in 'Prelude' (he's the human officer at 1:59 in the trailer).

'Prelude' is getting a premiere at San Diego Comic-con at the end of july and released online to the kickstarter donors. The filmmakers are then starting a new kickstarter for the full 'Axanar' feature and the 'Prelude' will be used as a sort of extended trailer to promote the new kickstarter.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,670 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

All news to me but looks very good. Feels a bit strange seeing Tony Todd and JG Hertzler not playing Klingons though after being so used to them in those roles - maybe even as ancestors to their TNG era characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,733 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Wasnt Hertzler in an episode at one point but not a klingon? DS9 possibly when Sisko was a 1950's sci-fi writer?

Still, Martok was awesome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭Cossax

Wasnt Hertzler in an episode at one point but not a klingon? DS9 possibly when Sisko was a 1950's sci-fi writer?

Still, Martok was awesome

He was also a Hirogen in the Voyager episode with The Rock and he, Hertzler, taught Seven to fight.

Was a donator for the kickstarter, got the digital perks and a few other bits and pieces, should be in the post winging its way to me soon!
    And of course access to Prelude as soon as it airs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

that looks bloody fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Rawr

I feel this is what "Enterprise" really should have been.

Hell, when I saw the opening scene of ENT where a Klingon get's shot on an Earth field all I could think was:
    "Brilliant! This is the start of the Klingon/Federation War! This series is going to be awesome...."

That didn't feeling didn't last....

But this project looks brilliant! A proper Star Trek war drama! Can't wait to see the finished product :D

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Greyjoy

'Prelude' has been released on the webpage for the full 'Axanar' kickstarter :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/194429923/star-trek-axanar

The top video is just a trailer but if you scroll down a little it has the 20 minute short film for 'Prelude'.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

Wow i just watched, amazing. These fan made things have come along way.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

That is nothing short of stunning. Seriously. In 21 minutes it surpassed what Enterprise managed in four years. Just goes to expose Berman & co for what they were doesn't it. Between this & Continues, I never thought I'd say this, but...canon be damned! The bar this sets is higher than Trek has reached in a long, long time.

My only single criticism of this clip, is that Kharn is a bit too, well, human. But otherwise, wow.

Yep it is epic, i booked a meeting room to go and watch it :pac:

Really really enjoyed it, for me its much better than the Abrams stuff aswell, its proper trek.

Yep agree on Kharn, Tony Todd despite him not being a Klingon still reminds me of a Klingon so much

Tony Todd despite him not being a Klingon still reminds me of a Klingon so much

Without gushing, the chap is just class

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

it was J.G. Hertzler that kept throwing me, couldnt help but get reminded of Martok from DS9 everytime he talked, He played one of the best Klingons ever in Trek in my opinion.

keithgeo wrote: »
    it was J.G. Hertzler that kept throwing me, couldnt help but get reminded of Martok from DS9 everytime he talked, He played one of the best Klingons ever in Trek in my opinion.

Agreed.. Martok was brilliant.

I still think Tony Todd should be playing a Klingon (some ancestor of Worf/Kurn's even) but I suppose bad-ass Fleet Admiral isn't a bad 2nd choice.. even though he seems to be channeling Morpheus during the big speech :)

So has anyone backed this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

That was awesome! Much much better than I'd expect from something like this.

Nate

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭crazyderk

That looks absolutely awesome! I'm genuinely half tempted to give 25 dollars for the digital download!

Thats a big deal I havnt paid for music of movies in years!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Rawr

Just saw the 20 min video.

Jebus-tapdancing-christy that was awesome. I want more, MOOORE!!

*This* is what I wanted from Enterprise, *this* is what I wanted from the JJ-verse. I love it, and I can't wait to see more!

It feels like a proper bridge between ENT and TOS. The ship designs are updated but still feel pre-TOS, and somehow manage that better than ENT. The sense of 'war' is better shown as well, and the Klingons feel like the the good old nemesis I remember from pre-TNG days. Alround excellent casting, writing, and the CGI work is clean & pleasant to view.

I loved the reveal of the D-7, making both it and a certain Federation Heavy Cruiser seem more bad-ass than ever.

More I tells you, I need MORE! :D

^ couldn't agree more. The bar has been raised beyond what I thought possible with non canon here. But this looks so good, so well written & acted, I'd have no problem taking it as canon (in fact it puts some/a lot of the actual canon to shame). The CGI is lovely too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

That was fantastic. Had not expected it to be anywhere near as good as that, even after reading the posts above.

Just watched the trailer again .. amazing stuff really and what Enterprise should have been.

Feck it.. backed for $25 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Also backed for $25 :). A 90 minute film of that quality? Can't wait!

Looks like Harry Kim is joining axanar as the captain of the first D7 cruiser, interested to see his performance

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Available on YouTube now too – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W1_8IV8uhA

Interesting that it went up on YouTube 5 days ago and, if you look at the project stats, had an instant – very positive – effect on the funding :D. Looks set to burst the 400k mark now.

Great stuff. I had wondered and been a bit dismayed why they hadn't uploaded to YouTube sooner. Made it harder to share the video (and no Chromecast support, which I'd been longing for!). Perhaps there's a KickStarter strategy to this though. Under 10 days left, people more likely to donate... so you want to hold back and release something just then. Seems to have worked alright for them anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

I'm in for $25, can't wait to see the full film. Huge respect to all those talented individuals, both cast & crew, giving up their time for free to make this possible. True fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

in for $25

looks good

Wow! 6 hours left and they're almost at $600,000!!! :eek:

Fantastic stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Great stuff, enjoyed it a lot. Back to the way it should be :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭Goldstein

Donations skyrocketed after George Takei shared the Prelude to Axanar video on Facebook and Twitter. Fair play George!

Advertisement