Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zombie Apocalypse ......... it's true ...... some people believe

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

The term zombie apocalypse can be broadened to include any case of contagion or outbreak or global disaster. It is prepping for an emergency. Now I know people will go to an extreme but being prepared can only be a good thing.

People may think its barmey but I personally think that for very little work now,you can save a lot of work later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Not really, Your then tied to 1 location and unable to relocate. And keeping multiple storage locations is just mad. Why do people think everyday people will go from no combative to eating brains or mass murder in any of these doomsday scenarios. Think people have been watching the walking dead to much.

Who said anything about relocating, I'm not talking about an apocolypse here. But if for example the euro collapsed a few years back, certain things would become scarce, and it would be handy to have some spare. People watch too much of that "Doomsday Preppers" BS. Most preppers have some food, water, fuel etc, they're not all building bunkers and planning how to kill their neighbours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭WilyCoyote

Preparing for everyday emergencies would mean a first aid kit, a few cans of beans, some candles and a few liters of petrol. I've got all those and so does most of the population. Anything else is insane in a small country like Ireland.

But don't keep the Iodine tablets in the First Aid Box. Hide it. That's the first place them Zombies will search.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

WilyCoyote wrote: »
    But don't keep the Iodine tablets in the First Aid Box. Hide it. That's the first place them Zombies will search.

Nah we should swallow all we need for said situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,056 ✭✭✭_Redzer_

If ever such an outbreak where to happen I'd amass a small army of people to take over a small island. One big enough to grow the land and live of off, but not so big it would be hard to defend.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 348 ✭✭sleepytrees

Don't come crying to me when Zombies attack.. Fruitcake indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 3,042 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

that **** jumps species and we is all screwed

I've already played The Last of Us, I'm prepared :P

Anyway of slipping a few of these into the Dail?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭NickD

Not gonna lie I would love a zombie apocalypse. I'm not hoarding cans of beans but I would be lying if I said I haven't spent time plotting my escape.

• Advertisement

NickD wrote: »
    Not gonna lie I would love a zombie apocalypse. I'm not hoarding cans of beans but I would be lying if I said I haven't spent time plotting my escape.

Nah there would be to many DayZ wannabe AS50 bandit snipers. Who with no military training can range a sniper scope.

Nah there would be to many DayZ wannabe AS50 bandit snipers. Who with no military training can range a sniper scope.

I think considering how hard it is to get a gun license here we would realistically be facing more farmers with shotguns! I'll take my chances with them :)

NickD wrote: »
    I think considering how hard it is to get a gun license here we would realistically be facing more farmers with shotguns! I'll take my chances with them :)

Shotguns attract zombies :P

Shotguns attract zombies :P

Excellent more Z heads to shoot :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

ScumLord wrote: »
    Being prepared for zombies means you're prepared for all sorts of doomsday scenarios. All that it would take for chaos in the modern world is for international banking or transport to become affected. Without international transport we'd have trouble feeding our population and we wouldn't be able to run most services because we import most maintenance products.

Feck that!

All it'd need for international chaos and was to kick off is the internet going dead.

No internet = No cat videos = War

Basic maths! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

If it happens, you guys are fcuked and im going to survive.

That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

_Redzer_ wrote: »
    Apparently if rabies becomes airborne it could lead to zombie-like creatures. Obviously they wouldn't be immortal, but they'd share the basic characteristics of zombies, including loss of feeling towards pain -a man who was infected with rabies needed to be shot repeatedly by police in America because he kept coming at them to attack because he wasn't receptive to the pain.
    Zombies aren't immortal. They can be shot dead right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Birroc wrote: »
    Zombies aren't immortal. They can be shot dead right?

No you have to remove the head. Sure I thought everyone knew that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

jasas it would be a great way to sweep the boards clear .

get rid of a lot of social parasites too :-)

Pwindedd wrote: »
    No you have to remove the head. Sure I thought everyone knew that!

Have you not seen The Walking Dead?

You have to destroy their brain, stupid!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

Have you not seen The Walking Dead?

You have to destroy their brain, stupid!

Maybe I'm thinking of vampires, or is that the heart thing?

Okay recap, you have to destroy the brain, cut off the head and rip out the heart.

Okay recap, you have to destroy the brain, cut off the head and rip out the heart.

No reverse vampires work differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

Best burn them to be safe too. Or is that just white walkers?

Fúck this apocalypse, it's gonna be far too much work. I'm gonna stay in the pub until they come. And whatever happens, happens, at that point :p

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Vision of Disorder

Fúck this apocalypse, it's gonna be far too much work. I'm gonna stay in the pub until they come. And whatever happens, happens, at that point :p

Great plan Simon Pegg. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

I have just made a video on how quickly a bacterial disease can spread worldwide, notice the day counter to the right. Now i know its a simulator but it is quite close to how a disease may in fact spread. The sim is so useful that the US Centers for Disease control invited the creator to HQ to talk about how the game can create public awareness. The video lost some quality as i compressed.

http://www.theverge.com/2013/3/9/4080666/plague-inc-game-developer-center-for-disease-control-talk A link to the invite article

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Yes there is, No such thing exists.
    there are plenty of examples of zombification in the natural world. Especially in the insect kingdom. There's a wasp that can inject a very specific venom into a very specific species of cockroach which turns it into a zombie so that it will allow the wasp to implant it with it's babies and it stays zombified until it's eaten by the baby wasps. Nature has already laid the groundwork, it just has to find a way to make it apply to us. Knowing nature it's probably working around the clock on the problem.
    And this is an excuse for spend thousands preparing for a doomsday scenario that has a 0.01% chance of happening?
    Your spending thousands on the worst case scenario, if you're able to deal with a zombie apocalypse you should have the skill sets to deal with any number of alternative scenarios.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭House of Blaze

there are plenty of examples of zombification in the natural world. Especially in the insect kingdom. There's a wasp that can inject a very specific venom into a very specific species of cockroach which turns it into a zombie so that it will allow the wasp to implant it with it's babies and it stays zombified until it's eaten by the baby wasps. Nature has already laid the groundwork, it just has to find a way to make it apply to us. Knowing nature it's probably working around the clock on the problem.

Your spending thousands on the worst case scenario, if you're able to deal with a zombie apocalypse you should have the skill sets to deal with any number of alternative scenarios.

See also the humble toxoplasma gondii parasite.

A parasite found in cat guts that has evolved the ability to suppress the inbuilt fear mechanisms in rats in order to make them more likely to be preyed upon by more cats whereupon they can reproduce to continue the cycle again.

A large percentage of certain human populations are infected also due to exposure to uncooked meats etc.

<shudder>

You wouldn't have a hope of dealing with a deadly virus or bacterium, though. Zombies would be a lot easier to deal with and survive than a highly contagious virus -if it's The Walking Dead sort of virus.

If the flu were to mutate and had a near total fatality rate, there's no escaping it unless you head off to a remote area with a sniper to kill anybody who wanders too close, because you couldn't chance them not being infected

I'm really in the mood to watch Contagion now!

• Advertisement

Don't even consider ebola :eek:

Advertisement