Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Irish National Championships

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

The 8 didn't go to plan for me ha, Mark English jogged a 27sec 1st 200 then crawled the next 200 in 34 to back us all up ha, lads tripping over each other left right and center. Still can't complain, I know I have plenty more in the tank in a more even race.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Results from today: http://www.athleticsirelandenterprises.com/results_19072014/schedule.html
    Timmaay wrote: »
    The 8 didn't go to plan for me ha, Mark English jogged a 27sec 1st 200 then crawled the next 200 in 34 to back us all up ha, lads tripping over each other left right and center. Still can't complain, I know I have plenty more in the tank in a more even race.

Haha great to get to race against English in any case. I was hoping to get Gregan in my heat but no luck unfortunately. Had Dara Kervick a couple of lanes outside me though, not that I saw him at any point during the race!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Photos from today uploaded to JTG facebook (taken by yours truly, sorry Chivito, had to leave after the women's 5,000m so got none of the 400m heats).

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

Where is Freddy the Kenyan in the results? Seen him in the picture wearing a Raheny top????

thewolf_ie wrote: »
    Where is Freddy the Kenyan in the results? Seen him in the picture wearing a Raheny top????

Dropped out about 2/3rds of the way through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

pconn062 wrote: »
    Dropped out about 2/3rds of the way through.

Is that the DIS in the results then?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Chivito550 wrote: »

Took me about 20mins of searching around the AAIs new "mobile friendly" website using my phone for them bloody results earlier ha! I should have just come here!

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

Ciara Mageean returns to win the 1500m title. 4.15:34. Great stuff.

Tom Barr 50.04 to win the 400mh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Olionaird wins the 1500 in 3.43 out kicking Robinson. All 4 lads with QT bunched with lap to go. Great race

• Registered Users Posts: 54,596 ✭✭✭✭walshb

English is a beautiful mover!

• Advertisement

Some great stuff today. Highlight for me was seeing Ciara Mageean back running well, and to see how delighted she was afterwards.

Men's 1500m was a cracker. It bodes well for Zurich.

Some great races in the sprints, particularly the women's 400 and women's 100. The 3 false starts in the men's was painful to watch though.

The 800s were a bit on the dull side. English jogged a 1:49, and the women's was a glorified 200m.

A runner in the 110 hurdles got a yellow card for unsportsmanlike behaviour. I never heard of that before. The panellists didn't discuss it. Anyone know what he did?

Cringe interview with Davis, the 100 metre winner. He could have cost himself the title with that jump on the line. Both given 10.9, but to me Davis looked a fraction ahead there.

Have to agree with Kiernan. I too thought that Healy nipped the 100m race from Foster. How accurate is the timing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Highlight for me was seeing Ciara Mageean back running well, and to see how delighted she was afterwards.

Men's 1500m was a cracker. It bodes well for Zurich.

Some great races in the sprints, particularly the women's 400 and women's 100. The 3 false starts in the men's was painful to watch though.

The 800s were a bit on the dull side. English jogged a 1:49, and the women's was a glorified 200m.

+4

Fairly much how today was for me too!

I thought Ciara Mageean looked brilliant on the last lap, she has a really smooth running style. A little surprised they gave CO'L athlete of the meet but delighted for him that he's back from injury. I think the selectors have to go with the first 3 in the 1500.

I was down near the start of the 100s and they were very clear false starts, apart from possibly the first.

I think the first lap in the women's 800 was a 68!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Some great races. Rte's coverage was decent. Should be on the rte player later.

Interesting interview with the winner of the 100 metres. Said he decided only to run that morning.

Great day today, highlights for me were the two 1500m races, and the men's 5,000m races. Was tough seeing Christie get beat after doing the work the whole way through. Bloody hot though, had no sunscreen and got a little fried!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,420 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Decent enough coverage I thought. Peter Collins addressing joint Women's 100m winners Amy Foster and Phil Healy as "girls" was a bit primitive though.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭runjb

A good championships, best in a number of years and the crowds reflected the interest drummed up beforehand.

Very impressed by the two 1500m winners. Great to see Ciara back and the pace she closed that final lap shows us she has a lot in her legs.

In one way disappointing that we had a 'joint' first placing in the women's 100m today. I would have thought with all the technology available that these were a thing of the past but I guess they still do happen from time to time. Two in the one weekend though may have been pushing the mathematical probabilities a little!! It was a thrilling race none the less. Healy scooped a very good PB in the process.

Mark English seemed very comfortable and should hopefully now do well in Zurich.

Jerry and Ailis both good on the rte round up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

Was impressed with the RTE coverage, though Jerry and Ailish worked well together.

Very impressive performance by Mageegan, that was a very comfortable 4.15, she was full of running on the last lap. Britton seems to have rounded into shape nicely, I was a bit worried with her early season performances but a solo 15.39 in the 5k and a decent second in the 1,500 sets up her for a good performance in Zurich. Was also impressed with Mc Cambridge, hopefully she runs well in Zurich.

Hard to believe that there were 4 guys with the Euro standard in the 1500. O'Lionard looked very easy, he should do well in Zurich. I guess they will go with the Top 3 guys, Travers dug in well in the home straight, I thought Mc Carthy had him but he fought back.

I though Kevin Batt in the 5k looked good, definitely had a lot more in him, he would have been well capable of a 13.40. English looked very easy in the 800, Barr very strong in the 400H. What did happen in the Men's 110H for Fouroughi to get a yellow card for unsportsmanlike behaviour?

What is the story with the relays? The top 16 teams are going to be invited based on the aggregrate of their two best times. Per the current seasons best lists all bar the Womens 4*400 are top 16, it would be great to see the 3 squads getting invited.

We have a pretty decent squad, hopefully we will have a few finalists, with Heffernan (a cert) and English and Barr in the running for medals.

A runner in the 110 hurdles got a yellow card for unsportsmanlike behaviour. I never heard of that before. The panellists didn't discuss it. Anyone know what he did?

Anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

Selection for the European are announced. Athlete, distance and coach provided. Chris Jones is still down as F. Brittons coach contrary to comments above. Well done to everyone selected and their teams.

As far as I know, Fionnuala has gone back to Chris Jones as her coach. It happened a couple of weeks ago.

Just watched the RTE coverage of Nationals. Pretty decent it has to be said. Although I was disappointed they didn't do a round up of other events from day 2 like they did for day 1. No day 2 field event got any mention, and they omitted the women's 400m which was a cracking race.

Also, a lot of people here complain about the BBC or Eurosport, but the commentators on those channels really know their stuff. The likes of Cram, Hutchins, Storey etc are all very clued in. Very impressed with Andrew Cotter of late also who is more known for his golf commentary. George Hamilton may be a great voice of Irish sport but he is well and truly out of his depth when it comes to athletics!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭TRR

Murph_D wrote: »
    Decent enough coverage I thought. Peter Collins addressing joint Women's 100m winners Amy Foster and Phil Healy as "girls" was a bit primitive though.

Totally agree and was very disappointed with Ailis McSweeney referring to the field of the men's 1500 as "lads".

TRR wrote: »
    was very disappointed with Ailis McSweeney referring to the field of the men's 1500 as "lads".

You messing?

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Totally uncalled for by Mr Collins. I mean where is it going to stop? Be calling them burds and chung fella's next!

Wont somebody think of the children!!

Primitive me howl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Yeah George Hamilton was all over the place. When Gregan won he was convinced he'd run 45.58 instead of 46.58 and started going mad saying it was an unbelievable performance, then no mention of his mistake seconds later when reading out the correct results on screen.

Had a grand little chuckle to myself over it. It suits me just fine to watch the BBC coverage of the Europeans. Crammy and co. are fine by me.

Also, Jamie Davis' interview after winning the 100m was quality!

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭yizorselves

Bag o'cans ha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

It's a bad day when 10.9 seconds wins your national 100m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

Gandalph wrote: »
    It's a bad day when 10.9 seconds wins your national 100m.

That completely ignores the circumstances. 2014 is the best year ever in Irish Sprinting when it comes to strength in depth.

We've 18 men that have gone under 10.9 so far this year.

Advertisement