Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2014 Irish National Championships

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

RayCun wrote: »
    what times did each qualify with? O Lionaird was 3.37.72, what about the others?

Travers 3.37.27* (mile race)
    COL 3.37.72
    McCarthy 3.39.14 (indoor)
    Robinson 3.36.45 (mile race)

Travers and Robinson both developmental athletes which will probably work in their favour however Travers inconsistency and championship performance indoors last year may be something which works against him in the eyes of the selectors.

McCarthy may have to show form come the weekend to help his case given his time is from early in the year but 3.43/4.11 split first race back might just have been a rust buster and most likely to see improvements

Robinson IMO is a lock, has showed form, range and has the B standard in the 800.

COL rounding into form at the right time and has shown current form so most likely will be the other one secured leaving the last place open unless there are some huge surprises at the weekend

pconn062 wrote: »
    What is the story with Britton these days? I know she moved on from Chris Jones but haven't heard whose looking after her now. What sort of shape is she in?

15.38 in Lucerne the other night. To best of my knowledge she is being coached by a well known Irish coach (though am not 100% certain of this)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

ecoli wrote: »
    Travers 3.37.27* (mile race)
    COL 3.37.72
    McCarthy 3.39.14 (indoor)
    Robinson 3.36.45 (mile race)

The heats could be interesting with these guys looking to conserve as much as possible and the guys below looking to run times - although there probably won't be any surprises in the 15, I can definitely see this being a factor in the 800.

The heats in the 8 are going to be insane. There are 57 entrants, I think, so it could be 5 heats of 11/12 or six heats of 9/10. With 6 heats, you're probably looking at 12 in the final with only the top two qualifying.

The difference between the fastest and slowest heat last year was quite big, IIRC, so you had a couple of fast guys missing out. This year, do the fast guys take their chances in a tactical race, and trust their kick? Do the 2nd level guys go from the start to give themselves a chance at getting a jump on a top-two position? Should be interesting anyway.

To be honest, I think 6 heats is too many for a two-round competition and I think for next year they could consider moving to invitation for some events.

Sacksian wrote: »
    The heats could be interesting with these guys looking to conserve as much as possible and the guys below looking to run times - although there probably won't be any surprises in the 15, I can definitely see this being a factor in the 800.

The heats in the 8 are going to be insane. There are 57 entrants, I think, so it could be 5 heats of 11/12 or six heats of 9/10. With 6 heats, you're probably looking at 12 in the final with only the top two qualifying.

The difference between the fastest and slowest heat last year was quite big, IIRC, so you had a couple of fast guys missing out. This year, do the fast guys take their chances in a tactical race, and trust their kick? Do the 2nd level guys go from the start to give themselves a chance at getting a jump on a top-two position? Should be interesting anyway.

To be honest, I think 6 heats is too many for a two-round competition and I think for next year they could consider moving to invitation for some events.

I think with the 1500 heats most of the lads above would have confidence in there finishing speed that I would see it being a sit and kick style. Will be interesting to see the likes of Mooney and Harper come the final as I think this year despite the great talent up front their is a strong second tier who will not be afraid of being competitive with these guys (something rare enough in Irish athletics)

Looks like this is also shaping up to be a good race. With the Junior relay team failing to make the WJC the majority will be there (with the exception of Lawler and Irwin)

Hynes has to be favourite given he has been consistent all year and the fastest on paper however Craig Lynch should be a dark horse. His fastest legal time of the year was (after adjusting for the win) on par with the likes of Hynes and Lawler.

Keith Doherty from my own club is coming into form at the right time of the season after a great indoor season and may surprise along with Ollie Blakc and Eanna Madden being able to capitalise if any of the other lads have an off day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

The athlete who wins the National Championships and has achieved the performance standard (as specified in the selection policy) within the qualification period will be automatically selected.

The team selectors will have sole discretion to decide which of the other qualified athlete(s) are selected. Selectors may consider the following (but will not be limited to), championship potential, consideration of fastest qualification times and based on current form.

http://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/four-qualifiers-for-1500m-for-european-championships

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

No sign of Gregan racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

YFlyer wrote: »
    No sign of Gregan racing.

According to twitter he is:
    Really excited about competing in the @GloHealth1 @irishathletics nationals this weekend. Also can't wait fro the mens 1500m #Stacked

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

I think with the 1500 heats most of the lads above would have confidence in there finishing speed that I would see it being a sit and kick style. Will be interesting to see the likes of Mooney and Harper come the final as I think this year despite the great talent up front their is a strong second tier who will not be afraid of being competitive with these guys (something rare enough in Irish athletics)

I'd agree about the 15 - it will be interesting to see where people try to go from in the heats! But there'll be proportionally more final spots available compared to the 800. With more heats and fewer final places available, I think there might be more room for surprises/mistakes in the 800!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

What is the story with Britton these days? I know she moved on from Chris Jones but haven't heard whose looking after her now. What sort of shape is she in?

She glided by me in Glasnevin a few days ago. Couldn't keep up with her to see what form she was in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Disagree here. It's more people we want running, not less. No reason why they can't do semi finals.

Heats: Start of sat
    Semi Finals: End of Sat
    Sunday: Sunday

Or make Nationals a 3 day event.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

Liam Zamel-Paez entered in the colours of Clonliffe.

According to twitter he is:

Ah ok. Its just that his name is not on the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,845 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Disagree here. It's more people we want running, not less. No reason why they can't do semi finals.

Heats: Start of sat
    Semi Finals: End of Sat
    Sunday: Sunday

Or make Nationals a 3 day event.

Is there qualifying times to get into the Nationals?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

It will really get interesting is someone like Everard goes for the qualifying time on Sunday

dna_leri wrote: »
    It will really get interesting is someone like Everard goes for the qualifying time on Sunday

Made a mistake looking at the entry list he is down for the 5000m

Is there qualifying times to get into the Nationals?

No anyone who is registered with a club can enter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭KielyUnusual

Would really love to see John Travers get selected. I think it would be a great reward for him, and for club athletics in this country.

He's a young guy that AFAIK came through his local club structure - I'd say he's one of the few top guys that runs the national league for his club (he did both rounds this year), does the graded series, does county and national xc, IUAA, etc.

Could be a really good encouragement to domestic club athletes.

Agreed. Saw him running the 3k in the Gradeds last year and he was phenomenal. Set a relentless pace from the start and finished up with a 60 odd second last lap. Was delighted to see him do so well in the Morton Mile recently. Looks to be in top form so it would be hard to see him not making the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭notsofast

Made a mistake looking at the entry list he is down for the 5000m

Maybe not, saw him talking to Gerry Kiernan there recently!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭thirstywork2

Men's 10k will be class,not sure of entry but Fagan out.Christie running or going for 5k.Fredd the Kenyan running in Raheny colours alony with Claw and Rooney they have a class team.

Robinson should win 1500m but this will be his biggest test on a domestic front since he has made his massive breakthrough.
    Travers I think will be buzzing for this and O lionard looked class again.McCarthy the man with a point to prove so can't write him off but his confidence low after Morton.

Mental numbers in the 800m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Womens 800 should be good too: Galligan, Crowe, Everard, Mageean, Kirk

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sam30

dna_leri wrote: »
    Womens 800 should be good too: Galligan, Crowe, Everard, Mageean, Kirk

That is fantastic news. You nearly forget what amazing achievements Mageean had as a junior before injury over the last 2 or 3 years. Surprised Jerry Kiernan hasnt move her up to 5000!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭likestosmile

15.38 in Lucerne the other night. To best of my knowledge she is being coached by a well known Irish coach (though am not 100% certain of this)[/QUOTE

Only just aware of her departure from Jones now...What happened there?

Here's hoping she makes the big break through on the track this year after all her hard work. She deserves it.

sam30 wrote: »
    That is fantastic news. You nearly forget what amazing achievements Mageean had as a junior before injury over the last 2 or 3 years. Surprised Jerry Kiernan hasnt move her up to 5000!!!

Give him time :pac:

YFlyer wrote: »
    Give him time :pac:

To be fair hasn't done so with Travers and has actually developed his middle distance skills immensely since he has been with him.

What ever about some of his rants he is one of the top distance coaches in the country at the moment

Stuck in work today so won't get out to see the action in person until tomorrow so will have to rely on social media

Sarah Treacy with a sub 10 (9.59.74) win int he steeple over Michelle Finn.

Also proper with a 6.27 jump for the win in the long jump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

It must have been some finish in the Men's 200, Eanna Madden and David Hynes not able to be separated to both win gold in 21.42.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Didn't get to see very much today. But did catch the final of the women's 200m. Kelly Proper looked very impressive in running 23.2x. Not sure what the wind was but to run that after already running a heat and winning the long jump certainly bodes well for Zurich. I think she has found her best event.

Looking forward to seeing everything tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

Mick Clohisey wins the mens 10,000m in 29:58 I think, great race. He just drove it on and one by one they all dropped off. Fionnuala Britton won the ladies 5,000m in a disappointingly small field (15.38 I think). Kelly Proper was great in the 200m and even better in the long jump. Some good 800m heats, with English jogging a 1.56, and even better 1500m heats really set up a cracking race tomorrow with all the big names making it through comfortably. Great weather today so hoping for more of the same tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭Condo131

Highlights on RTE 2 tomorrow, Sunday 20th, 18:05-19:30

Advertisement