Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭oceanman

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    lol, I was naive like that once ... Then I found out Santy isn't real.

Had the weather been poor 100k people would not have turned up for the last protest. You'd be a fool to think otherwise.
    but we are irish, a drop of rain is not going to bother people too much...we get more of it than sunshine id guess...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

Ogham wrote: »
    They clarified it later.
    (Must have been a new one on the Twitter Desk !)

Am I missing something? Did Irish Water clarify it, or did money guide Ireland contradict Irish Water (who are actually the ones rolling it out) :confused:
    So what are odds in getting 100k again on November 1st if the weather is like today? 0.00001%?
    lol, I was naive like that once ... Then I found out Santy isn't real.

Had the weather been poor 100k people would not have turned up for the last protest. You'd be a fool to think otherwise.

Nice to see you now acknowledge the numbers chief. :)

Edit, they literally are making it up as they get along now.

Updated 56mins ago.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IrishWater

This is fcuking cringe worthy stuff actually. They don't have a bloody breeze.

Excuse me while I don't give a shag in what way they threaten me for withholding my info.

Hoors don't know their arse from their elbow as far as I can tell :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Edit, they literally are making it up as they get along now.

Updated 56mins ago.

https://mobile.twitter.com/IrishWater

This is fcuking cringe worthy stuff actually. They don't have a bloody breeze.

Excuse me while I don't give a shag in what way they threaten me for withholding my info.

Hoors don't know their arse from their elbow as far as I can tell :pac:

They haven't a clue. €50,000,000 in consultancy fees well spent. And they expect people to be okay with handing their PPS numbers to them :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

On its own the lack of knowledge from IW and the way it is being implemented is enough to pull the plug on it in January. An absolute farce from the off. We may write off all that wasted money. Shameful stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 479 ✭✭In Lonesome Dove

FREETV wrote: »
    You may have an issue now as there is a story on the Irish Independent website that Irish Water will be allowed to increase the prices every year.

I told you all this would happen. Bye bye Fine Gael, Labour and Fianna Fail!

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/irish-water-will-be-allowed-raise-prices-every-year-29798831.html

Who else do you think is going to pay their over inflated wages, retirement and pension packs and bonuses that we're told aren't really bonuses?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭SaveOurLyric

I'm glad to hear this. He struck me a being a bit vulnerable and in need of support. I hope he's going to be ok.

Its a big thumbs up from him for the government's budget I think.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

RTE should lose their license fee's over this issue also,Apart from joe duffy's show its been balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Tenants opposed to the charges, intending not to pay, might find themselves in a difficult position.

Not difficult, completely unsustainable.

Let's be honest, people are not fighting water charges because they have great ideals ... they just don't want to pay themselves and don't care about others. So even the most anti-charges landlord will not engage their own responsibility to cover for their protesting tenant ... they will just tell them to pay or leave the property.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,883 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Pocoyo wrote: »
    RTE should lose their license fee's over this issue also,Apart from joe duffy's show its been balls.

You must be an avid listener and viewer. The nature of Liveline is that there is a proponderance amongst those who get on the air of people who are unhappy with something. The programme spent a whole week not long back with sob stories from people who didn't pay their NPPR. Not a dickie bird about it since. And today we had a woman who is threatening to go on hunger strike because her sectoral interests are not getting the attention she wants.

You hardly expected Joe to bring on callers who are in favour of water charges. That is not his agenda. Maybe the "balls" you heard or saw elsewhere was just some people who do not agree with your opinions. Not a good enough reason, in my opinion, for the licence fee to be withdrawn.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

well, for what its worth, which is very little at this stage, I'm wondering if IW is nothing more than a department printing registration demands, and a computer processing them, with nothing else in the place.

I sent them an E-mail that's not water or meter related, as they are supposedly also responsible now for waste water infrastructure, and in theory, according to their web site and the guff that's on it, they are supposed to respond within 5 days. That 5 days, (working days, so 7 in reality) expired this evening, and they've not even acknowledged receipt of the E-mail, let alone responded to it.

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression, as far as I'm concerned now, IW is just another semi state quango stuffed with the dead wood that the local authorities were desperate to get shot of, and it can't even perform the basic tasks that it was set up to perform.

I will be writing to the relevant TD, and to the energy regulator, but I will be surprised if that achieves anything, the TD's won't give a continental damn, and the regulator is likely to respond with the normal quango garbage that it's "not within their remit".

I was already thinking that FG were going to have to work damned hard to get my vote in future, as it's now clear that they are no longer interested in IW or anything to do with it, given FG's total lack of engagement with the electorate on the issues around IW, they can whistle for my vote, simply because they've made it very clear that they too cannot be trusted to deliver on their promises.

Yes, I'm totally p*ssed off with Politicians and semi states, and the complete lack of accountability and responsibility, probably because the toxic combination of these 2 factors means I'm now stuck in an unsaleable house that was badly (€120K) damaged by sewage overflowing in 2002, and it's still not been resolved 15 years later, I've written to TD's, local councillors, the Meath CC, and others, and the nett result is sweet damn all,

Looks like the only answer is to treat them with the same contempt that they are treating me with.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

Bob24 wrote: »

Let's be honest, people are not fighting water charges because they have great ideals ... they just don't want to pay themselves and don't care about others. So even the most anti-charges landlord will not engage their own responsibility to cover for their protesting tenant ... they will just tell them to pay or leave the property.

You have identified the nub of the question there. This issue just happens to temporarily unite some people who are really only interested in their own selfish interests. The OAP's among them would never go marching to oppose student fees, neither would the students march to protest at cuts to Child Benefit. They all just want to keep their money in their own pockets. Fair enough but not when that entails breaking the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

You have identified the nub of the question there. This issue just happens to temporarily unite some people who are really only interested in their own selfish interests. The OAP's among them would never go marching to oppose student fees, neither would the students march to protest at cuts to Child Benefit. They all just want to keep their money in their own pockets. Fair enough but not when that entails breaking the law.

Paying the gambling debts of others did not seem to be a problem and did not create such a protest.

Don't see the validity of your point,

Absolutely agreed!

The LPT was close to bringing the critical mass to generate large scale protests, but it was not really hitting lower classes, students, or any type of tenant.

With water charges they are really hitting everyone so the sum of all selfish interests look like a unique group.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

well, for what its worth, which is very little at this stage, I'm wondering if IW is nothing more than a department printing registration demands, and a computer processing them, with nothing else in the place.

Wonder all you want. It's not a Department at all. It's a Semi-State. Seriously, this is basic stuff.
    I was already thinking that FG were going to have to work damned hard to get my vote in future, as it's now clear that they are no longer interested in IW or anything to do with it, given FG's total lack of engagement with the electorate on the issues around IW, they can whistle for my vote, simply because they've made it very clear that they too cannot be trusted to deliver on their promises.

What promises are these? The promise to set up a State owned water utility company and charge people for usage? Page 43 of their Election Manifesto made it clear that's what they promised to deliver. I guess you missed that part of their manefisto when you voted for them? Did you even bother reading up on their policies at all?

I sent them an E-mail that's not water or meter related, as they are supposedly also responsible now for waste water infrastructure, and in theory, according to their web site and the guff that's on it, they are supposed to respond within 5 days. That 5 days, (working days, so 7 in reality) expired this evening, and they've not even acknowledged receipt of the E-mail, let alone responded to it.

You don't get a second chance to make a first impression, as far as I'm concerned now, IW is just another semi state quango stuffed with the dead wood that the local authorities were desperate to get shot of, and it can't even perform the basic tasks that it was set up to perform.

I will be writing to the relevant TD, and to the energy regulator, but I will be surprised if that achieves anything, the TD's won't give a continental damn, and the regulator is likely to respond with the normal quango garbage that it's "not within their remit".

Yes, I'm totally p*ssed off with Politicians and semi states, and the complete lack of accountability and responsibility, probably because the toxic combination of these 2 factors means I'm now stuck in an unsaleable house that was badly (€120K) damaged by sewage overflowing in 2002, and it's still not been resolved 15 years later, I've written to TD's, local councillors, the Meath CC, and others, and the nett result is sweet damn all,

Looks like the only answer is to treat them with the same contempt that they are treating me with.

You mentioned your father in an earlier post, and his role in the water industry. Would you like it if people referred to him in the terms which you apply to every politician in the country and to IW staff and staff in other state bodies? You may have some expertise in water matters but your attitude to other people in general is just the same as many of self appointed experts on everything who turn up here to condemn all and sundry.

They're all the same, they haven't got a clue, I'm fed up with everything and everybody etc.

I know you have not been treated well to date with the water supply to your house, but I could point to the exact opposite for the 30,000 plus population of Dundalk. Good water here after massive investment to bring the supply from Co Monaghan. Before that the town depended on a 100 year old resevoir which was totally inadequate, leading to rationing every summer.

hju6 wrote: »
    Paying the gambling debts of others did not seem to be a problem and did not create such a protest.

Don't see the validity of your point,

It only affected taxpayers, with the highest earners having to chip in the most (logically but still).

Water charges are hitting absolutely every household and for the same type of amount regardless of their income (to your exemple you can add students and people on low income or social welfare). That is a lot more people.

fxotoole wrote: »
    Wonder all you want. It's not a Department at all. It's a Semi-State. Seriously, this is basic stuff.

What promises are these? The promise to set up a State owned water utility company and charge people for usage? Page 43 of their Election Manifesto made it clear that's what they promised to deliver. I guess you missed that part of their manefisto when you voted for them? Did you even bother reading up on their policies at all?

I missed the bit in their manifesto where they said they'd implement a property tax. I didn't vote for them incidentally, but I've read the manifesto a few times now, usually after some party supporter tells me "they always wanted to introduce an lpt"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

It only affected taxpayers, with the highest earners having to chip in the most (logically but still).

Water charges are hitting absolutely every household and the same amount regardless of their income (to your exemple you can add students and people on very low income or social welfare - not a small group).

It sunk the whole population and put a lot of workers on the dole,

And hit everyone with austerity for years.

I missed the bit in their manifesto where they said they'd implement a property tax. I didn't vote for them incidentally, but I've read the manifesto a few times now, usually after some party supporter tells me "they always wanted to introduce an lpt"

You forgot the bit about what Enda said in 1994 or thereabouts.

• Advertisement

You mean that the answers given by Ministers Noonan and Howlin on Sean O'Rourkes programme today didn't meet with your ideals? RTE have been covering both the protest and the response of the public to the budget.

hju6 wrote: »
    It sunk the whole population and put a lot of workers on the dole,

And hit everyone with austerity for years.

What is your point though, that more people should be protesting against the incompetent bankers and politicians who led us to the crisis than against water charges?

I would fully agree with this ... but again individuals don't see a direct hit on their own money that they can try to reverse, so they won't bother (exactly our original point: protesting is not done for the good of the country but a purely selfish action).
    And even more so, they should have protested against the incompetent bankers before the crisis, but - selfish again - many of them were too busy thinking on how many properties they could buy and what the profit would be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Pocoyo

You hardly expected Joe to bring on callers who are in favour of water charges. That is not his agenda.

But he did....

Two days before the protest...might i ad in typical RTE fashion I guess after the protest they could ignore the calls no longer...

But he did....

Two days be fore the protest...might i ad in typical RTE fashion I guess after the protest they could ignore the calls no longer...

I listen to the programme nearly every day. I heard far fewer of those voices than calls from the anti side. Anyway why do you want to censor views which do not accord with your own? By withdrawing the licence fee from RTE.

You forgot the bit about what Enda said in 1994 or thereabouts.

Just didn't bother quoting it tbh. I think it's well aired at this stage.

Just pointing out the hypocrisy in the post I quoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭Highflyer13

Has it ever crossed your mind that people maybe cant afford to pay after the absolute pillaging we have got in the last 6 years? I really think some posters have not been a bit affected by recession and are taking glee in seeing others suffer. These same people would probably tell you the hospitals are grand and deny the housing crisis exists.

My god its so bloody easy for you isn't it! Unreal, get down out of your ivory tower.

Has it ever crossed your mind that people maybe cant afford to pay after the absolute pillaging we have got in the last 6 years? I really think some poster are have not been a bit affected by recession and are taking glee in seeing others suffer. These same people would probably tell you the hospitals are grand and deny the housing crisis exists.

Do you think a landlord will care?

Do you think a landlord will care?

Are you a landlord?

Are you a landlord?

I am actually a tenant - but a realistic one. I very well know that in this country if you don't own the property you are living in you are sometimes treated as a second class citizen.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Has it ever crossed your mind that people maybe cant afford to pay after the absolute pillaging we have got in the last 6 years? I really think some poster are have not been a bit affected by recession and are taking glee in seeing others suffer. These same people would probably tell you the hospitals are grand and deny the housing crisis exists.

I know very few unaffected by the recession.

Most people have tightened thier belts, adjusted their lifestyles, put their heads down and are responsible for the glimmering of light on the horizon.

Others have bitched and moaned through the last 6 years, whinging and whining at every tax increase and cut to service, angry at the loss of their Celtic Tiger packages that were built on borrowed monies.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement