Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balding/Receding hairline...

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I do shave my head but I feel like a pariah and basically a wasted life. .

Maybe you don't mean these words literally but if you do, I think such extreme feelings like a wasted life and a pariah suggests there are more serious self esteem or even self loathing issues going on that can't all be blamed on going bald and which any amount of hair on you won't address. It's too simplistic to say, yes, I'll suddenly not view myself as a pariah or waste of space with a head of hair. Address those self esteem issues first and then see if you want to continue with a transplant (purely for cosmetic reasons). Deciding that a cosmetic feature is the source of the woe in your life is misleading and unhelpful.

It's like a single person thinking they'll be happy if they are in a relationship or a small person thinking they'll be happy if they were tall. Real happiness does not come that way, it comes from liking yourself from within, warts and all!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭paddy1990

ongarboy wrote: »
    Maybe you don't mean these words literally but if you do, I think such extreme feelings like a wasted life and a pariah suggests there are more serious self esteem or even self loathing issues going on that can't all be blamed on going bald and which any amount of hair on you won't address. It's too simplistic to say, yes, I'll suddenly not view myself as a pariah or waste of space with a head of hair. Address those self esteem issues first and then see if you want to continue with a transplant (purely for cosmetic reasons). Deciding that a cosmetic feature is the source of the woe in your life is misleading and unhelpful.

It's like a single person thinking they'll be happy if they are in a relationship or a small person thinking they'll be happy if they were tall. Real happiness does not come that way, it comes from liking yourself from within, warts and all!

a small person could well be happy if they were tall and not insecure about being below average in height and denied many things because of it. ask a woman what kind of man she wants and whats the first word that comes out of her mouth? how many women do you see with smaller boyfriends?

a single person who had never had a girl love him could well be happy in a loving relationship. i know many guys with their careers sorted, make good money, but can't pull the women they want. in fairness, maybe they are trying to punch above their league a bit too much but it's not their fault that their facial bone structure makes them appear ugly. indeed these guys could well be truly happy with their dream girl who loved them for who they are.

and yes, a guy who is devastated at losing his hair and looks dreadful bald and can't pull off the bald look could well be much happier with hair. it's like people with terrible teeth and never smiling and then they get braces, get their teeth fixed, and can't stop smiling.

i think your post above was terrible to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

i just laugh at the people who are saying being bald doesn't make any difference to a mans attractiveness

Jason Statham and Bruce Willis are two well known actors I can think of off the bat that actually look better with little or no hair than they did before. Pepe Reina who plays in goals for Liverpool for another.

I don't know whether I'm picking you up wrong but you're comment makes you sound petty and shallow. There is a lot more to people than looks.

Ah come on. I've pretty much gotten over the baldyness but I know I'd look better with hair. Same as how I'm really fat, I know I'd look a lot better if I dropped weight and the insincere "Oh that doesn't matter" stuff really grates, as with the baldness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 245 ✭✭paddy1990

Augmerson wrote: »
    Jason Statham and Bruce Willis are two well known actors I can think of off the bat that actually look better with little or no hair than they did before. Pepe Reina who plays in goals for Liverpool for another.

I don't know whether I'm picking you up wrong but you're comment makes you sound petty and shallow. There is a lot more to people than looks.

People who look better bald are the rare exception rather than the rule.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

paddy1990 wrote: »
    People who look better bald are the rare exception rather than the rule.
    Except African fellas. They usually get away with it and often look better, the feckers. :D

But I would agree. This notion of "oh look Hollywood Actor A looks good bald" is a self delusion*. Many guys, but not all of course, in the real world don't. It ages them and if they haven't got a halfway good facial structure the lack of the frame of hair makes them look worse. Plus a balding or bald bloke is denied the choice of styling. Shave it off/buzzcut is your lot.

Now as Augmerson says quite correctly there is more to a person than looks, however society tends not to think so in real terms. It does judge a book by its cover. Physically attractive people get more leeway, have more sex and usually make more money in the corporate environment(height in men in particular follows this). If someone can make themselves look better then I say game ball. After all if looks were so unimportant, we'd not shave, comb/cut our hair, wear different clothes etc

*other delusions include "Older actor looks great, therefore because I'm older I look great" Eh no. Usually you just look older. 99 times outa 100 good looking men over 50 etc were always good looking men. Some older women fall for this one too. "Yer wan off Modern Family is 40+, so am I, therefore I and older women look as good". Eh, again. No. Have you ever seen her when she was 20 or 30 or 35?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,938 ✭✭✭OldRio

Well as a 6ft 3inch old bald average looker I will say this. I have had more women since I shaved the lot off than I did when I had a full head of hair.

All to do with confidence.

The Porsche and Ferrari have nothing to do with it.

The last sentence may/may not be a lie

Advertisement