Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing Guinness Foreign Extra Stout with Guinness Draught

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

I know there was one or two that didn't have that - I know there was a massive difference if the bottle was cold, or just off the shelf.
    Few bottles i had worked really well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Hmmm, where were you guys in the thread about it!! :P

Must give it another go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Ravelleman wrote: »
    I thought Kilkenny was Smithwicks with a nitro head.

Weird, a foreign barman in a foreign bar, 2 years ago, made pretty much the same comment to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭lmtduffy

Weird, a foreign barman in a foreign bar, 2 years ago, made pretty much the same comment to me.

For reasons that escape me, in some parts of Europe Smithwicks is marketed and sold as Kilkenny- legitimately I might add.

Could be the cause of the confusion.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Can anyone confirm if there's any discernible difference in taste? The strength may be different but there are several strengths of Heineken available and they're all called Heineken regardless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭srfc d16

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm if there's any discernible difference in taste? The strength may be different but there are several strengths of Heineken available and they're all called Heineken regardless.

I think there is a definite difference in taste between the 2. Personally i much prefer Smithwicks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,378 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithwick's#Variations
    Kilkenny Cream Ale is similar to Smithwick's Draught; however, it has a cream head similar to Guinness, and it has a stronger and more bitter taste than Smithwick's. The Kilkenny name was originally used during the '80s and '90s to market a stronger version of Smithwick's for the European and Canadian market due to difficulty in pronunciation of the word "Smithwick's", but it now refers to a similar yet distinctly different beer

A whole secton on pronouncing it
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smithwick's#Regional_pronunciation

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

I guess I'll believe it when I taste it. Which will probably be never, I won't lie.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

There's a bar in Berlin that sells the stuff. It's named, imaginatively enough, Kilkenny Irish Bar. I went for a Guinness myself. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement