Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mixing Guinness Foreign Extra Stout with Guinness Draught

Options
  • 14-07-2014 5:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all :D

Basically being a bit of a mad eejit at the moment and contemplating doing something a little bizarre. I'm a huge fan of the Foreign Extra Guinness at the moment, but the one thing I really missis the thick head caused by the widget in a can of stout, when poured. So what I've been thinking of is, what would happen if I poured a bottle of FES into a glass and then filled the last bit of the glass with a bit of draught from a can, thereby potentially creating all the epic of a draught head with all the epic of a FES body?

Or have I lost the head completely (pun intended) and become a complete head case (pun also intended)?

>_>
    <_<

*runs*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

DO NOT DO THIS

mods please lock this before we all die!!!!!!!!!!!!!

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭poitinstill

? try it and tell us if you survive ? i'd say that must be the maddest thing ive ever heard. :p if it doesnt work out you will be ;
    a) dead
    b) bankrupt
    c) a deceased hero

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Son0vagun

Sounds pointless to me.

However Evil Twin Brewery do two beers that they recommend mixing together. Ying and Yang they're called! I haven't done it yet!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Give it a go and see what happens.

There are a number of bottled, full-bodied stouts that come in nitro versions - most notably Left Hand Milk Stout Nitro, which is really very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Patww79 wrote: »

It's delicious, that's what it is!

9060.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

When I was younger, the auld fellas would drink what they called a 'top up'
    It was 3/4 of a pint (draught), with a bottle of regular guinness extra (for topping up).
    I've had it a few times, but thought it was a bit of a gimmick tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Ended up trying this last night (hide yo kids, hide yo wife), some of the best Guinness I've ever had and will definitely be doing it again :D
    Basic idea is to do the usual half pour of draught, then fill the glass almost to the top with Fes, and then a little draught on top to get more of a head. Recommend it to everyone, tasted a lot nicer than regular draught (and that's from someone who loves the ordinary draught to begin with)

Forgive the stout ignorance, but what exactly does "nitro" mean in this context?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Forgive the stout ignorance, but what exactly does "nitro" mean in this context?
    It's how the thick head in the widget or on draught is achieved: the gas mix is high in nitrogen which is what creates the thick stable foam.

Left Hand do a version of their Milk Stout with nitrogen dissolved in but it doesn't work as well as a widget for creating the draught-like head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I am surprised at the reaction of some posters, surely everybody has heard of people getting a guinness head on a smithwicks before, so this is not much different, acutally this should be considered more normal.

I know a guy who used to have bottles or cans of guinness in his fridge to top up the shortfall of a 500ml draught can going into a pint glass -to get the head to the top of the glass.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

rubadub wrote: »
    I am surprised at the reaction of some posters, surely everybody has heard of people getting a guinness head on a smithwicks before, so this is not much different, acutally this should be considered more normal.

I thought Kilkenny was Smithwicks with a nitro head.

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Nope. It's a different strength for one thing.

BeerNut wrote: »
    Nope. It's a different strength for one thing.

Didn't do my research. They seem incredibly similar though.

The higher strength is presumably a reflection of the fact that it's mainly exported.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,813 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Ravelleman wrote: »

doesn't Smithwicks now have a nitro head (since a couple of years back)?

I think all beers have a proportion of nitrogen in the dispense mix now, but Smithwick's isn't as fully nitrogenated as Guinness or Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A couple of years ago I tried a bottle of Molly's stout and although tasty I found it a bit lacking in life. I asked a barman to put a tiny drop of keg Guinness on top and I have to say, I found that it made Molly's a lot more enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I think all beers have a proportion of nitrogen in the dispense mix now, but Smithwick's isn't as fully nitrogenated as Guinness or Kilkenny.

All beers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,138 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Patww79 wrote: »

This thread may help explain:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056742252

There's

(1) draught
    (2) Extra Stout
    (3) Foreign Extra Stout
    (4) Special Export stout

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SteeveeDee

That's quite interesting, I never would have thought that.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭SteeveeDee

You'd call this a pint of "special" in Mayo, or at least that's what you'd ask for! And you're right it is quite normal.

FES is fairly widely available, Superquinn carry it.

Havent seen SES on sale here since I moved back to Ireland, I usually pick up a few bottles in France when Im over.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

drumswan wrote: »
    All beers?

Yep.

Beer gas in Ireland comes in 50/50(ales/lagers) or 25/75(stout). I assume though that this is more to do with safety reasons/dispense reasons rather than with the aim of filling the beer with nitrogen (which would have to happen in the brewery I think).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭sofireland

Son0vagun wrote: »
    Sounds pointless to me.

However Evil Twin Brewery do two beers that they recommend mixing together. Ying and Yang they're called! I haven't done it yet!

Oh the old Black and Tan, and Imp IPA and Imp Stout - 10% ABV - Pure rocket fuel, but emminently drinkable.

Brú do a nitro bottled stout - its very rare - they're doing another batch soon - 1st European Craft brewery to do it as far as I know. Might be a few bottles knocking round some indie off licences / Supervalu.

Pour Hard

I'm intrigued to try this blend of FES and Guinness Draught - had the Special Export recently, now that is a beer and a half!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Son0vagun wrote: »
    I did this recently and was sceptical, but the mix was better than the individual beers imo.

I think most of the original comments were tongue in cheek.

sofireland wrote: »
    Brú do a nitro bottled stout - its very rare - they're doing another batch soon - 1st European Craft brewery to do it as far as I know. Might be a few bottles knocking round some indie off licences / Supervalu.

Pour Hard
    In my experience, and in the experience of a few on here, this doesn't work, which is a pity because the beer is actually quite nice.

• Advertisement

It worked for me

Advertisement