Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grim Fandango remastered

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Daith

Don't know what all the fuss is about. Played it when it was first released and didn't like it at all. You would need a walkthrough to complete this. Doesn't come close to other classic point and click adventures like fate of atlantis or DOTT.

I did it without a walkthrough. In fact I'd be surprised if people could complete DoTT without a walkthrough and not this.

Then again I'm a sucker for film noir type films so I adore the story in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

How did the MI remakes sell? Bought both on iOS and Xbox and would have probably done the same with the other classics. Wasn't entirely convinced of the art style they took, but appreciated an update was necessary and they did have the good sense to include the originals. As regards GF; I want it to be Star Trek:TOS remasters rather than a Star Wars. I'm probably in the minority, but it's a DoTT remake I crave.

Happy days...https://twitter.com/PlayStation/status/541314384484503553

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Only tried this briefly a few years back but it was awkward to set up and control. Looking forward to this now, it's out on the 27th on PC too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

Never heard of this game till its reveal at e3 , but I am willing to give any game a try :)

I found the manual for this the other day, will try and post a pic of later if anyone is interested :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Not long now!

Easiest money GOG will ever make off me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

I think the only difference is that the GoG one doesn't give you a steam key

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

What is the release date for this on Vita & PS4 in Europe then?

EDIT:
    Scratch that, just found the entry on PSN. 28th Jan it says.

https://store.sonyentertainmentnetwork.com/#!/en-ie/games/grim-fandango-remastered/cid=EP2154-CUSA01858_00-GRIMFANDANGOBUND

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

The Resident Evil Hd remake was meant to release last Wednesday on psn, but was released on the Monday night. I'm praying it's up later on as I'm off tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I think the only difference is that the GoG one doesn't give you a steam key

No but it gives you a drm free copy of the game which steam doesn't. Which would be my preference, plus I like to support them when I can as they have made playing a lot of my favourite classics a lot easier to play on my modern machine.

I really hope this is remastered well though as double fine have not been having the best of times lately :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭smithy1981

I'm gonna give this a go shortly. I loved the original even though i only got about 10% through it. I vaguely remember the part that i got stuck on. It involved in a circular area with entrances all around it (in trees?), and any time i went in one, i came out another in the same place. Drove me bonkers at the time. I tried getting another copy through the years to try finish it, but could never get one working properly.

I could be remembering all that wrong and i look forward to finding out, and see if i'm smarter than 16 year old me, prop not...:)

smithy1981 wrote: »
    I'm gonna give this a go shortly. I loved the original even though i only got about 10% through it. I vaguely remember the part that i got stuck on. It involved in a circular area with entrances all around it (in trees?), and any time i went in one, i came out another in the same place. Drove me bonkers at the time. I tried getting another copy through the years to try finish it, but could never get one working properly.

I could be remembering all that wrong and i look forward to finding out, and see if i'm smarter than 16 year old me, prop not...:)

That's exactly where I gave up too. Wrecked my head and I didn't think at the time to search the internet for a way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

€14.99 atm on the PSN store...cross buy but even so its a bit steep.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

ERG89 wrote: »
    €14.99 atm on the PSN store...cross buy but even so its a bit steep.
    Steep? For this?!

Get out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Gave in and bought it on the humble store earlier. Going to get stuck into it sometime this week.

I just installed it to my Vita. Can't wait to get stuck in after work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Found this in Easons of all places 12 years ago brand new for €13, bargin of the year for me at the time. I had been looking for it for years in shops but could never find it, only got into PC gaming at the end of 1999 so I missed it when it first released.

Great to play this again, hope to finish it this time. Think I got to about year3 in the game before I got stuck and gave up. Great script and writing in this, it's a true classic of a game.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,064 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Tempted to buy for vita ,looks còol.

gizmo wrote: »
    Steep? For this?!

Get out.
    Honestly I expected to see it for €12 at most plus I only have €12.27 in my PSN wallet now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I don't know how good it will look on the Vita. I have read that it does not have proper 16:9 as it looks too stretched and it's better to play in 4:3 but then you have black borders at the side.

• Advertisement

Managed to play the first half an hour of it on my Vita and it's not changed much from what I can tell.
    The polygon models looks the same. All I can see that's different is there is better shading going on.
    Can't speak for the performance just yet but I've seen no issues in the short time I've been playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The models are the same, the textures have been upgraded so they're not blurry messes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Anyone else getting choppy sound in the cutscenes?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,339 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Occasionally, yes. It's nothing major though.

Overall, I've noticed the questing being a little more helpful, the model upgrades and the controls so far. The UI is a lot more user friendly than it used to be anon. All in all, I'm quite happy.

So I'm trying to play this on my PS4 & it's freezing a lot. 3 times today. Really annoying as it's not a game that naturally flows, if I haven't manually saved it's worse as it doesn't autosave.
    Is this a known issue, as it happens when I go to use an item

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

ERG89 wrote: »
    if I haven't manually saved it's worse as it doesn't autosave.

ah you whipper snappers and your autosaves :D

Advertisement