Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grim Fandango remastered

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Do you think the game will hold up to modern day gaming? I've never played Grim Fandango but it sounds awesome

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,897 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    Do you think the game will hold up to modern day gaming? I've never played Grim Fandango but it sounds awesome

Modern day gaming doesn't hold up against it. It's still amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,547 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

I never played the original which is weird because it sounds like a game I would have played back then. Will definitely be checking it out on ps4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,285 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Modern day gaming doesn't hold up against it. It's still amazing.

So the original doesn't feel dated then? Good stuff, hopefully it releases this year, I have a PS4 but after The Last of Us (another re-release, I know), not much to look forward to...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

This and monkey island defined my child hood

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I never played the original but was wondering today what is the big deal? It's a point and click adventure, isn't it? So why would this get a great reaction that I doubt Monkey Island would get?

And I did play and like Monkey Island as well as recent adventures like Walking Dead

Soby wrote: »
    This and monkey island defined my child hood

Monkey Island is another one I never played and don't know why. I see it's on the PSN, might have a gander.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,184 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

CastorTroy wrote: »
    I never played the original but was wondering today what is the big deal? It's a point and click adventure, isn't it? So why would this get a great reaction that I doubt Monkey Island would get?

And I did play and like Monkey Island as well as recent adventures like Walking Dead

The original Monkey Island games got a very positive reception when they were remade / re-released a few years back. They're both examples of highly imaginative game worlds and characters and situations. They also remain among the wittiest games ever written :)

The reason why Grim Fandango redux is so excitedly anticipated? Because the game is incredibly hard to get your hands on, and has been for quite a while. Simply hasn't been legally available anywhere. Even if you do own it or get your hands on it via whatever means, it can be a chore getting it to work on modern machines. That, and even the creators acknowledge the controls are infamously ****! If ever a game was just waiting for a modern upgrade - a graphical overhaul and a few UI tweaks - it is Grim Fandango. Most of all, it will be nice to just be able to buy the game again. Like a BluRay of a classic film that has been long out of print.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Looking forward to this on the vita, great game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Its not point and click, you control the character, cant wait to play this again tbh

Hoping its remade for PC also and not just PS4 :(

• Advertisement

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Monkey Island is another one I never played and don't know why. I see it's on the PSN, might have a gander.

Ah sheehy what we're doing with your life 15 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 28,864 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

nix wrote: »
    Its not point and click, you control the character, cant wait to play this again tbh

Hoping its remade for PC also and not just PS4 :(

It's coming to PC as well. At least that's what the link in the OP says

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

It's coming to PC as well. At least that's what the link in the OP says

ah ha, i misread it as will be limited to PS4 + vita derp >_<

Ah sheehy what we're doing with your life 15 years ago

I think I was mostly on the Nes, pc gaming must have come later.

Any of the early pc games I played were blade runner, sanitarium, black dhalia (give it up for dennis hopper yo) were all '98 so I think MI and GF were before my PC time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I played the fùck out of the demo back then, never got to play the full game because I couldn't find anywhere to buy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭brevity

Loved this game...was so hard though...had to use the walkthrough an awful lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Delighted with this news, never got around to playing it originally and it's one that has annoyed me since. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

How did the MI remakes sell? Bought both on iOS and Xbox and would have probably done the same with the other classics. Wasn't entirely convinced of the art style they took, but appreciated an update was necessary and they did have the good sense to include the originals. As regards GF; I want it to be Star Trek:TOS remasters rather than a Star Wars. I'm probably in the minority, but it's a DoTT I crave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

What about the Indiana Jones series? Fate of Atlantis was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Interesting watch of Tim Schafer discussing the development of GF while playing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Class! I loved this game. I remember a friend giving me a demo disc with the first twenty minutes of GF as a demo, we must have played it twenty times :D

I still have the original cd rom lying around and I tried to get it working a few years back but it didn't play kindly with my modern system.

I think actually it would transfer well to tablet gaming, it could do away with the resident evil style movement controls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,833 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

What a game! Brilliantly sharp witted and frustratingly challenging at times - I can't even remember if I cleared it or not. Eager to play it remastered!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Great game. Played it circa 2007 on an XP machine and it ran fine. Couldn't play without a walkthrough though as I'm terrible with these games. Would definitely buy a remake

Oh yeah :)

2ce5c3602ce8a87c57756af4ce8bb018.png
    Oh yeah :)

a more clearer picture of the awesomeness :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

2ce5c3602ce8a87c57756af4ce8bb018.png

a more clearer picture of the awesomeness :D

That's not a photo of the remake is it ?

(also...sorry for being a stickler....but clearer is already comparative, so you don't need more )

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

corcaigh07 wrote: »

The game style sure but many point and clicks have some illogical puzzles, where you just end up trying every item everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Potatoeman wrote: »
    The game style sure but many point and clicks have some illogical puzzles, where you just end up trying every item everywhere.

This ain't a Roberta "Master Storyteller" Williams' Sierra special.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭strangel00p

Don't know what all the fuss is about. Played it when it was first released and didn't like it at all. You would need a walkthrough to complete this. Doesn't come close to other classic point and click adventures like fate of atlantis or DOTT.

• Advertisement

SeantheMan wrote: »
    That's not a photo of the remake is it ?

(also...sorry for being a stickler....but clearer is already comparative, so you don't need more )

Nah I just started playing it again on PC. Haha learn something new everyday (Y)

Advertisement