Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Temporary insurance for debs?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

You are insured to drive the Corolla and only the Corolla, the brother can drive the BMW because he has "drive other cars extension" which allows him, as a full licence holder, to drive other cars subject to restrictions. This extension rarely if ever applies to Learner Permits, so if you took the BMW you would most likely be uninsured.

Also, were you planning on driving to and from the debs without being accompanied (and supervised) by a full licence holder? Many insurance companies specifically exclude cover during breaches of your Learner Permit so if you did have an incident you could find yourself with a law suit against you for costs the insurer had to pay and no way to pay the brother for the loss of his car.

Were you planning on not displaying L-plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

In the Insurance sense.

They'll just say "Performance car" and "Young driver"
    Then either hang up or give you some crazy quote.

It's a 318 not a bloody Ferrari...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

godtabh wrote: »
    he may have that arse ways. My "open policy" states I can drive any car insured but not under my name in 3rd party. There are certain restrictions on the car.

That is driving of other cars, not open driving. Big difference

• Registered Users Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭H3llR4iser

Caliden wrote: »
    It's a 318 not a bloody Ferrari...

You don't need for a car to be the F14T to be a performance vehicle; And in any case, insurance companies consider a Renault Megane 1.4 a "performance vehicle", because it shows up as "Megane Coupe' SuperSport 16v" on the logbook :eek:

If i'm wrong, i stand corrected. But it would certainly not be the norm.

Almost every policy (I've yet to see one without it) has 3rd party cover for driving other cars included.

I think when the OP says "open driving" he really means the third party extension. This has been discussed in depth and the conclusion is that in almost all cases the other car does not need a policy, sure why would it?
    oldyouth wrote: »
    will it not be a downer bringing an authorised driver with you to the debs?

You dont actually think he will bring some one to supervise him do you?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I think the brother probably has an open policy on the Corolla and therefore can drive the BMW.

But his circumstances are irrelevant as he doesn't own the car. You need to be a named driver on the Beemer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

you cant and wont and this is a duplicate thread.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,327 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

even better its a triplicate thread!!!

ForestFire wrote: »

When I purchased a new car, I still had my last car while waiting to sell it privately.

I had to take my old car to the garage and rang my insurance company to transfers my insurance on to it for the day.

They told me that, on my policy, I would not need to transfer it as i was already covered, even when I explained that there is no other insurance on it. (Can't remember it it was full of 3rd party only) I think it had to be taxed only.

I insurance broker I know did not believe this, but when they checked my company said it was true, but must be the only company that does this.
    It seems unusual to your broker probably because you own both cars, drive other cars extension is usually restricted to cars not owned by you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

Then your brother isn't insured to drive it on his open drive policy either. I don't see any way round this for you if the vehicle isn't currently insured.

You need to let your brother know though, that open drive policies only cover cars that are already insured.

This actually came up a few months ago, most of the insurance companies do NOT require the other car to be insured at all, Liberty etc. It makes no sense that it would have to be insured by someone else

• Advertisement

even better its a triplicate thread!!!

Lol it spawns offspring! It was only duplicate a bit ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

oldyouth wrote: »
    Not sure if I'm following you correctly. Your brother has open drive on a Corrolla. This means that other drivers, within certain criteria, can drive the Corolla under his policy. It is likely (but not necessarily) that he also has driving of other cars on the Corolla which will give him 3rd party cover to drive another vehicle providing he does not own it.

From what the OP has described, nobody has open driving. The brother is insured on the Corolla and he uses the third party extention to drive the BMW. The OP is mixing up third party extention with open driving.

OP, the only way you are driving the BMW is if your brother transfers the policy from the Corolla, and they are happy for you as a named driver to drive it (there is no guarantee that they will be). Other than that, you will have to transfer the BMW into your own name and try and get a quote for it yourself, which as an 18 year old learner you almost certainly wont be getting Im afraid!

ForestFire wrote: »
    I agree its not the norm and I was surprised when they told me I did not have to transfer.I had to ask a few times to make sure they understood they was no other insurance on the car.

And also the insurance broker dealing with car policies daily did not think it was the case, and when they checked it seemed to be only available under my policy/insurer

I think the OP (or his brother) needs to check there policy.

They may just be lucky and insured with the same company as me.

I dont know who your broker normally deals with, but most of the main insurers in Ireland do not require the other car to be insured. Im not sure if any of them do any more.

MartinC336 wrote: »
    So my debs is coming up next week and my brother kindly said he'd lend me his 318is e30 bmw for the day to collect the girl I'm taking along as I got insured...[CUT]

I must say, nowadays young ones seem to have it much more complicated than it used to be.

Back in the day when I was 18, all you needed to do what the OP is trying to do was an old and battered Fiat Panda! (because we all know he is not really worrying about the car or the insurance, right? :D)

Also I have to be the party pooper here; I am sorry to drop a tonne of bricks onto the OP's hopes of..."driving his girl to the debs", but whatever we discuss here is completely moot - as a Learner driver, he can't drive without a full license holder in the car. And, for some reason, I really doubt he'd want one to be around :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

The elephant in the room though is it's a pretty smashing car to bring a girl to a debs in.

If I was a girl i'd be in the back seat no bother.

:pac::pac:

djimi wrote: »
    I dont know who your broker normally deals with, but most of the main insurers in Ireland do not require the other car to be insured. Im not sure if any of them do any more.
    But most do require the other car to belong to someone else and not be leased/hire purchased by you. That's what makes ForestFire's situation unusual, both cars belong to him/her.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,934 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

slimjimmc wrote: »
    But most do require the other car to belong to someone else and not be leased/hire purchased by you. That's what makes ForestFire's situation unusual, both cars belong to him/her.

Yeah. That's not the norm for sure.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    The elephant in the room though is it's a pretty smashing car to bring a girl to a debs in.

If I was a girl i'd be in the back seat no bother.

:pac::pac:

But you are not a 18 years old girl...if you were, chances are you'd just think "it's old" :D

Ah okay. Yes that is far from the norm, and I would suggest that the broker has actually gotten it arseways because I fail to believe that any insurer is going to offer third party extension to cover another car that is also in the policyholders name; if they were going to do that then it would be open season for everyone to take out insurance on the cheapest banger they could find and then drive a fleet of cars on the third party extension!

Well it requires someone else's name on the log book, I could buy a car and put down another family member as the owner for instance.

• Advertisement

Well it requires someone else's name on the log book, I could buy a car and put down another family member as the owner for instance.

It depends on the restrictions; I have seen some third party extension not cover cars that were registered to a family member (I presume the insurer was sick of covering all the 60 year old women and their Type Rs :rolleyes:)

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Several threads from OP merged together

• Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭alias no.9

pippip wrote: »
    Also just to be clear, the other car might not need to be insured, it depends on the policy.

This has come up a number of times before and there are policies out there that stipulate the car must be insured and others that do not.

You need to check the specific policy.

For the purposes for being covered by insurance driving a car you do not own, that may be correct. Failure to display a valid insurance disc on the windscreen is still an offence and as such the car is not road legal.
    Attracting attention to yourself by driving a non road legal car when in a very dubious situation with respect to insurance having deliberately registered a car you own in somebody else's name in order to drive it on your third party extension seems a little bit silly.
    Insurance always comes back to three words 'Utmost Good Faith'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

H3llR4iser wrote: »
    as a Learner driver, he can't drive without a full license holder in the car. And, for some reason, I really doubt he'd want one to be around :D

Perhaps the date has a full license?

:D

wexie wrote: »
    Perhaps the date has a full license?

:D

Sure, sure...he's bringing her along exactly because of that :D:D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Pay someone to chauffeur you OP. Relax with your date.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Pay someone to chauffeur you OP. Relax with your date.

Better still, get Daddy/Mammy to put on a shirt and tie and do it. Save your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You could transfer your policy. I've done this before in a similar situation (I had to collect a car from a garage for a friend who was out of the country) However, I had a full license at the time but I was a named driver. I just clarified the situation to ensure I was actually insured on the other car as its usually only the policy holder that can transfer. They did say however it was a 'once off' and they don't like doing it.

No insurance company will sell you insurance for less than a year at a time which is utter lunacy. I've often had the need for shorter full policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

ironclaw wrote: »
    You could transfer your policy. I've done this before in a similar situation (I had to collect a car from a garage for a friend who was out of the country) However, I had a full license at the time but I was a named driver. I just clarified the situation to ensure I was actually insured on the other car as its usually only the policy holder that can transfer. They did say however it was a 'once off' and they don't like doing it.
    No insurance company will sell you insurance for less than a year at a time which is utter lunacy. I've often had the need for shorter full policies.

He can't transfer his policy as he is a named driver on his brother's one.

Too much hassle in this case as his brother would have to transfer his and could not use the Corolla at the same time.

I think there should be sticky about the Open Drive / Driving Other Cars extension btw. None of the above are available to 18 years old learners anyway.

• Advertisement

ironclaw wrote: »

Even if his brother transferred his policy and the insurance allowed the OP drive it there is still the matter of the OP planning on driving without a supervising driver. He didn't say it straight out but it's clear that's what he intended. Even if the date had a full licence for 2 years he'd still be driving to pick her up and he's hardly going to bring his ma/da/brother along.

Not only would the chances of getting caught be increased (Gardaí paying extra attention to the area) it could have very serious insurance ramifications if something happened.

OP, forget the idea of you driving at all, it's much more impressive to be chauffeured than to be chaperoned.

Advertisement