Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Temporary insurance for debs?

Options
  • 10-07-2014 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

So my debs is coming up next week and my brother kindly said he'd lend me his 318is e30 bmw for the day to collect the girl I'm taking aslong as I got insured.

I'm a named driver on my brothers policy on a Toyota corola.Im still on a learner permit.

As far as he's concerned he has open driving and that's how he's insured on it and the registered owner is one of my parents. Anyone know how'd I go about geting insured in it for the day? Or Evan for a few hours if they'd do that?? Any help appreciated.!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Ed Winchester

Do your parents hold an insurance policy on the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 MartinC336

Do your parents hold an insurance policy on the car?

No theirs no policy on the car at all at the moment.

Then your brother isn't insured to drive it on his open drive policy either. I don't see any way round this for you if the vehicle isn't currently insured.

You need to let your brother know though, that open drive policies only cover cars that are already insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

Hang on, is he paying insurance for both the Corolla and the BMW? Or is the BMW insured in your parents name? I'm presuming "registered owner" means your parents are the ones paying insurance, which means you'll have to be added as a second driver on your mother/fathers policy.

If "registered owner" means just that, and your brother is driving an uninsured BMW under his open driver policy then he's in the wrong - the car needs to be insured for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Open drive doesn't mean you can drive other cars, it means that anyone over 25 can drive your car and be fully comp covered without having to be a named driver on the policy. In most cases the driver doesn't need to have a policy of their own either.

Third party extension would enable him to drive other cars but depending on the insurance company there may be conditions attached like it has to be insured by someone else, has to have tax/nct, etc.

To get insured on the BMW your brother would need to move insurance over to the BMW so that you'd be a named driver on the car. You can move it over temporarily but there may be an administration fee attached depending on insurance company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,166 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

So just to be clear, who currently is the insurance policy holder on the BMW E30? I.e. who's name is down on the insurance policy of the E30?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Phone up the insurance companies, explain the situation and ask them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

Also just to be clear, the other car might not need to be insured, it depends on the policy.

This has come up a number of times before and there are policies out there that stipulate the car must be insured and others that do not.

You need to check the specific policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

MartinC336 wrote: »
    So my debs is coming up next week and my brother kindly said he'd lend me his 318is e30 bmw for the day to collect the girl I'm taking aslong as I got insured.

So I guess you are 18 ?

BMW + 18 year old.

Game over

bazz26 wrote: »
    So just to be clear, who currently is the insurance policy holder on the BMW E30? I.e. who's name is down on the insurance policy of the E30?

Nobody, there isn't one.

• Advertisement

Their is no policy on the e30.The brothers name is on the corolla and he has open driving which covers him the odd sunday he takes it out.Evan if theirs no policy on the e30.

Their is no policy on the e30.The brothers name is on the corolla and he has open driving which covers him the odd sunday he takes it out.Evan if theirs no policy on the e30.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭xalot

Not to be a kill joy but if you're on a learner permit then you shouldn't be driving the car unsupervised at all to pick up your date.....
    My understanding is that if you're driving by yourself and you're in an accident you wont be covered regardless of whether you're a named driver or not.
    Maybe things have changed since I was a learner.....

So I guess you are 18 ?

BMW + 18 year old.

Game over

Yes..in what regard? A 15minute drive from the woman's house to the hotel, and I'll be minding it for dear life.

I'd be extremely doubtful of that being the case.

Hang on, is he paying insurance for both the Corolla and the BMW? Or is the BMW insured in your parents name? I'm presuming "registered owner" means your parents are the ones paying insurance, which means you'll have to be added as a second driver on your mother/fathers policy.

If "registered owner" means just that, and your brother is driving an uninsured BMW under his open driver policy then he's in the wrong - the car needs to be insured for that.

Registered owner as in the father is down as the owner of the car. The brothers open driving policy allows him to drive vehicles that don't have to have policy's already on them. Their is no policy on the e30. The brother is the policy holder on the corolla and I'm a named driver on his policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

xalot wrote: »
    Not to be a kill joy but if you're on a learner permit then you shouldn't be driving the car unsupervised at all to pick up your date.....
    My understanding is that if you're driving by yourself and you're in an accident you wont be covered regardless of whether you're a named driver or not.
    Maybe things have changed since I was a learner.....

The brother will be in the boot :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Registered owner as in the father is down as the owner of the car. The brothers open driving policy allows him to drive vehicles that don't have to have policy's already on them. Their is no policy on the e30. The brother is the policy holder on the corolla and I'm a named driver on his policy.

he may have that arse ways. My "open policy" states I can drive any car insured but not under my name in 3rd party. There are certain restrictions on the car.

Also insuring an 18 year old learner on a 318 for a night isnt going to happen. At least not the way you think/hope it will happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

godtabh wrote: »
    Also insuring an 18 year old learner on a 318 for a night isnt going to happen. At least not the way you think/hope it will happen

Most especially not if the insurance company even suspect it's for a debs....

No offence OP but Garth Brooks will be doing regular friday and saturday evening gigs in Croke Park all summer long before this will happen.

(even if by leaving out some information here and there some insurance company might do it you'll probably find it'd be more expensive than getting a limo with driver for the night)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I'd be extremely doubtful of that being the case.

When I purchased a new car, I still had my last car while waiting to sell it privately.

I had to take my old car to the garage and rang my insurance company to transfers my insurance on to it for the day.

They told me that, on my policy, I would not need to transfer it as i was already covered, even when I explained that there is no other insurance on it. (Can't remember it it was full of 3rd party only) I think it had to be taxed only.

I insurance broker I know did not believe this, but when they checked my company said it was true, but must be the only company that does this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Not true. Some insurance company's don't need the car to be insured for your third party extension to work.

That wasn't anywhere near what the OP asked anyways. With a provisional you really havnt a hope to be honest and I say that as someone who has always bought a car and then worried about insurance after. Just beg your brother to drive ya to the hotel. You can have a few on the way there too that way

ForestFire wrote: »

When I purchased a new car, I still had my last car while waiting to sell it privately.

I had to take my old car to the garage and rang my insurance company to transfers my insurance on to it for the day.

They told me that, on my policy, I would not need to transfer it as i was already covered, even when I explained that there is no other insurance on it. (Can't remember it it was full of 3rd party only) I think it had to be taxed only.

I insurance broker I know did not believe this, but when they checked my company said it was true, but must be the only company that does this.

If i'm wrong, i stand corrected. But it would certainly not be the norm.

Must ring the insurance in a while anyway, but would it not work if let's say my brother swapped his policy for the day from the corolla to the e30 that way I'd be a named driver on his policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Must ring the insurance in a while anyway, but would it not work if let's say my brother swapped his policy for the day from the corolla to the e30 that way I'd be a named driver on his policy.

I don't see why not. It's the only way for you to be insured on it anyway as I'm fairly sure that the third party extension to drive other cars only applies to the main driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

So your brother is the main insured driver on the corolla and you are a named driver on that policy.

One of your parents is the main insured driver on the 318 and it has open insurance.

So why not get your parent to add you as a named driver to the 318 permanently ?

Obviously it wont remove the fact that you will need an full licensed driver with you even if you are insured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭ForestFire

If i'm wrong, i stand corrected. But it would certainly not be the norm.

I agree its not the norm and I was surprised when they told me I did not have to transfer.I had to ask a few times to make sure they understood they was no other insurance on the car.

And also the insurance broker dealing with car policies daily did not think it was the case, and when they checked it seemed to be only available under my policy/insurer

I think the OP (or his brother) needs to check there policy.

They may just be lucky and insured with the same company as me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

unless your brother has a garage policy, I very much doubt your view on the insurance situation is correct.

just remember if there was an accident and the insurance company see a way to deny a claim either from no qualified driver with you or the terms and conditions with in the policy he has thenthey will. then your in a whole heap of trouble...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

The only way that you could possibly be insured to drive the BMW would be if the Toyota was broken down and off the road and your brother needed to borrow the BMW from your father for a couple weeks while it was being repaired.
    If this was to happen he could contact his insurance company to do a temporary change over to the other car.
    However, due to the two vehicles being very different, he most likely would be charged extra for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Yes..in what regard? A 15minute drive from the woman's house to the hotel, and I'll be minding it for dear life.

In the Insurance sense.

They'll just say "Performance car" and "Young driver"
    Then either hang up or give you some crazy quote.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

Not sure if I'm following you correctly. Your brother has open drive on a Corrolla. This means that other drivers, within certain criteria, can drive the Corolla under his policy. It is likely (but not necessarily) that he also has driving of other cars on the Corolla which will give him 3rd party cover to drive another vehicle providing he does not own it.

Two things. His insurer will not talk to you as you are not the policyholder and secondly, will it not be a downer bringing an authorised driver with you to the debs?

Advertisement