Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Windows Phone Dying?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Developer preview is great for updates. Skips all the network faffing about for no reason.

Tbh I think android and Samsung are the worst for updates. Especially on their mid and low end phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

beauf wrote: »
    Developer preview is great for updates. Skips all the network faffing about for no reason.

Tbh I think android and Samsung are the worst for updates. Especially on their mid and low end phones.
    True, but I bought factory unlocked, I should get the latest and greatest release automatically and quickly.

This isn't the 90's anymore. Bought a 2012 Nexus 7 running 4.1 and within a day it was updated to the latest version of 4.4.4 over the air within a day. My wife has a 4s, it gets the latest version of iOS within days of release. I don't give a stuff about Joel Belfiore and excuses, if Apple and Google can get their users updated, then Microsoft should be able to too.

Nexus devices aren't the same as other android devices. So your not comparing the same things at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I feel like I have been thrown under a bus by Microsoft.

That's why I avoid windows devices, too many dead ends and u turns over the years leaving the users under the bus

True, but I bought factory unlocked, I should get the latest and greatest release automatically and quickly.

You will.

They aren't officially released yet. You'd have to assume MS doesn't have the same mobile network in place as someone like Apple

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

+
    You actually illustrate my point perfectly. The iPhone 4 is 4.5 years old and is on the latest version of iOS. Microsoft can only ever dream of that kind of support.

Remember the Lumia 800? Less than 1 year old before its users were thrown under the bus thanks to non-upgradable Windows Phone 7.

In fairness one guy I know who is a devote apple fan pretty much never uses his iPhone 4 any more due to the simple fact the newest OS crippled it in terms of performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I think these things are fickle and circular.
    People will tire of one or the other and try another.
    Apples dominance will pass. Windows may rise, sooner or later, but it too will not last forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

beauf wrote: »
    You will.

They aren't officially released yet. You'd have to assume MS doesn't have the same mobile network in place as someone like Apple

Very true. I'd say that Microsoft just needed to get the OS out there and weren't in a position to strong arm the Carriers (like Apple was with the iPhone) to try to keep control of the update process, and they (Microsoft) agreed to let carriers away with the carrier approval process for updates.

With the developer preview program, they are essentially getting around that limitation and can get the updates to peoples phones directly OTA.

Hopefully with 'Threshold' / WP9? they have completely gotten passed that Carrier enforced delay for release of updates and the releases will come to all phones when it is released by MS.

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I have literally half a dozen android devices at home that are stuck on really old builds. They have been forgotten about by Google, unless you are using a Google device like a Nexus you will get left behind.
    I agree, a lot of the lower end Android stuff is never fit for anything but the landfill.

kayos wrote: »
    In fairness one guy I know who is a devote apple fan pretty much never uses his iPhone 4 any more due to the simple fact the newest OS crippled it in terms of performance.
    The iPhone 4 is over 4 years old. To put that in perspective, it came out at around the same time as the Nokia N8. I am sure on old hardware the OS is starting to lag, but that is exceptional support all the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Hopefully with 'Threshold' / WP9? they have completely gotten passed that Carrier enforced delay for release of updates and the releases will come to all phones when it is released by MS.

The current process won't change. Carriers have apps and settings that need to be updated and tested for each release.

At most, the delay is about 2 months, and if updates are more frequent then a regular person isn't going to notice - they'll get 8.1 soon, followed by Update 1 in a couple of months, then maybe another update in a few months.

I agree, a lot of the lower end Android stuff is never fit for anything but the landfill.

Actually it's more than just low end. Decent hardware as in dual core phones are made obsolete through the lack of updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

The iPhone 4 is over 4 years old. To put that in perspective, it came out at around the same time as the Nokia N8. I am sure on old hardware the OS is starting to lag, but that is exceptional support all the same.

WP7 to WP8 was an exceptional (in the unusual sense) update that required a complete rebuilding of the OS kernel. I was one of those "left behind" with a Lumia 800, but I was perfectly okay with that because (a) I got 7.5 AND then 7.8, and (b) because I understood what was required. Windows Phone 8 is now two years old, and there is every indication that WP8 will be constantly updateable beyond 8.1 through 9.0 because they no longer need to make any radical core changes. The Lumia 820 has already gotten 8.1, and 8.1 Update 1, and will continue to get updates, mark my words. And unless the hardware requirements suddenly inch above 512MB RAM (and I suspect this won't happen because MS love to make their OS MORE efficient, not less), then every single WP8 device will be upgradeable too.

theothernt wrote: »
    The current process won't change. Carriers have apps and settings that need to be updated and tested for each release.

At most, the delay is about 2 months, and if updates are more frequent then a regular person isn't going to notice - they'll get 8.1 soon, followed by Update 1 in a couple of months, then maybe another update in a few months.

I'm on AT&T, probably one of the worst phone networks in the world, and even they have managed to get the Cyan (and therefore 8.1) update out in less than 2 months. I had the Developer Preview running anyway, but still, that's pretty good!

I would a good few complaints about WP. But updates isn't one of them. Not on the Dev Preview. Being able to bypass the network operator for updates is the very best thing about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

MJohnston wrote: »
    WP7 to WP8 was an exceptional (in the unusual sense) update that required a complete rebuilding of the OS kernel. I was one of those "left behind" with a Lumia 800, but I was perfectly okay with that because (a) I got 7.5 AND then 7.8, and (b) because I understood what was required. Windows Phone 8 is now two years old, and there is every indication that WP8 will be constantly updateable beyond 8.1 through 9.0 because they no longer need to make any radical core changes. The Lumia 820 has already gotten 8.1, and 8.1 Update 1, and will continue to get updates, mark my words. And unless the hardware requirements suddenly inch above 512MB RAM (and I suspect this won't happen because MS love to make their OS MORE efficient, not less), then every single WP8 device will be upgradeable too.

You don't have to put left behind in quotation marks, its what they did.

Point being they burned the early adapters for their brave new windows phone world and they have a track record of burning their customers with turnabouts and abandoning strategies in their various forays into new markets.

Looks like their market is contracting anyway

http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/14/6003427/windows-phone-sales-decline-q2-2014-idc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

Stuff like lock screen beta not being updated yet despite universal criticism of the lag just bugs me. They cannot possibly be unaware of this issue; what possible reason can there be for not at least acknowledging it?

Multiple irritants like this are what is screwing wp.

Stuff like lock screen beta not being updated yet despite universal criticism of the lag just bugs me. They cannot possibly be unaware of this issue; what possible reason can there be for not at least acknowledging it?

Multiple irritants like this are what is screwing wp.
    I decided to uninstall it, but it's still lagging.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nala_rinaldo

windows phone died when iphone came out. it’s ios and android now. who needs a phone that does not work well? and android is pretty much windows, it runs on exe things and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭KingOfFairview

windows phone died when iphone came out. it’s ios and android now. who needs a phone that does not work well? and android is pretty much windows, it runs on exe things and stuff.

Huh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭theothernt

Please ignore the this ^^^^^^

(so uninformed, so many mistakes)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I removed it very soon after aswell.

I find whatsapp very slow now that what it was like before

Wonder why it's having that affect.
    It's really starting to do my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭wilser

Think I had the same problem but then I turned kids corner on and everything went back to normal

wilser wrote: »
    Think I had the same problem but then I turned kids corner on and everything went back to normal

You're beautiful. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

So just thought I'd update this thread a bit..

With nothing NEW coming out (I had 8.1 for ages on the DP) and my aforementioned concerns about where the platform is heading - articles like this don't help either where Nadella basically says that the device doesn't matter vs getting people on the platform - I started looking at the alternatives and just over a week ago I picked up a surprisingly cheap yet brand new and genuine Note 3

This post isn't to start slating WP by comparison (I'll leave that to the fanboy types that inhabit the comments sections of WPC/AC) but there are some immediate things that I've noticed that I feel MS/WP really needs to take on:

- Customisation even if it's only skin deep. For example I forgot how much I missed a notification LED and with an app I can have different colours for different events

- Removing limits on things like the number of toggles you can have or what those can be

- Fixing whatever it is that makes the same apps work better on Android (a platform fairly prone to lag or stability issues - including my Note 3 on occasion).
    Why does Viber let me block annoying people on Android but not WP for example?
    Lastpass is something I totally rely on but on WP it's a painful copy/paste exercise. The Android version now actively offers to fill in your details in whatever app/site you use that it has data for

- Why is it that MS apps work better on Android than WP? OneDrive seems a lot more easy to upload/download to in the various parts of the Android OS than on WP

- Get local companies to establish a presence (Hailo, AIB, Just Eat and others) even if it means paying them. Yes I know there's mobile sites and in some cases 3rd party wrappers, but I'm talking about fully functional equivalent official products

It's not just an "app gap" but HOW those apps work and compare to their counterparts on other platforms. That's where WP is lagging now IMO

Finally (and this one is hitting me on a professional level too), the focus on getting WP out there through cheap n cheerful devices has led to a big gap at the upper end of the market.

We have 40 WP's in the office here (mainly Samsung Ativ S but also 925 and 1320s) and I'm looking to refresh the older ones...

- The 925 is EOL as is the 1320 (amazingly as it's not even out that long - and there's no replacement for it either!)

- That really leaves the 930 but one we had developed a screen burn that for all the world looks like the wireless charger burned through the screen from underneath after about a fortnight. Another we have has the user complaining about how hot it gets (echoed by reports online)

My problem is that I CAN'T get anything else at that level. The HTC One variant isn't available, the 830 may or may not be stocked, and the 635 that was suggested as the next best thing by the carrier was brought back to me by the same guy with the 930 burn a day later because "it's crap. Wouldn't last pissing time in here" (his kids weren't impressed either apparently! No front camera and such.. not really relevant here, but interesting feedback all the same)

As a result I may have to go to Android in work as well because with only one (apparently flawed) flagship model in the 930 and a handful of cheapo models to pick from, I don't think I'll have any choice if this trend continues.

Well with an announcement of W9 seemingly around the corner, we may all be left in the dust as MS stubbornly drives on.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Well with an announcement of W9 seemingly around the corner, we may all be left in the dust as MS stubbornly drives on.

I wonder though is that because it was already in the pipeline under the previous administration rather than a glowing endorsement of support for the future?

Again I've no idea.. I just think that unless WP9 is genuinely ground breaking, the gap will widen further and it IS A pity as I LIKE WP.. but it just doesn't seem to be evolving as quickly as it needs to. Most of what 8.1 introduced should have been there from the start really.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Interesting tread. I'm coming to the end of my 2yr contract (previously on iphone) so it might be time to update my lumia 920 and i'm not sure where to go.

I dont need a lot from a phone. Basic phone functions, texting, and fairly common info apps (news, stocks, bank, traffic, etc).

I love the windows UI and the new updates, i've been enjoying Cortana too.

It sounds a little superficial but a major selling point for me is a well designed solid and dependable handset. I've loved the solidity and feel of the Lumia. I never needed to buy a case for it for instance and after two years its as solid as it was on day 1. I have grown attached to the quality of the camera on the 920 but certanly dont want a camera that bulges out of the case as I've seen on some newer lumias.

I'm not sure what I'll do. My contract is up in November so i have a while to look around.

• Advertisement

InTheTrees wrote: »
    Interesting tread. I'm coming to the end of my 2yr contract (previously on iphone) so it might be time to update my lumia 920 and i'm not sure where to go.

I dont need a lot from a phone. Basic phone functions, texting, and fairly common info apps (news, stocks, bank, traffic, etc).

I love the windows UI and the new updates, i've been enjoying Cortana too.

It sounds a little superficial but a major selling point for me is a well designed solid and dependable handset. I've loved the solidity and feel of the Lumia. I never needed to buy a case for it for instance and after two years its as solid as it was on day 1. I have grown attached to the quality of the camera on the 920 but certanly dont want a camera that bulges out of the case as I've seen on some newer lumias.

I'm not sure what I'll do. My contract is up in November so i have a while to look around.

I suspect the 830 would be the phone for you, it's supposed to feel incredibly well built and doesn't have any camera bulges. I've had a 1020 for over a year now, and while I feel the itch to upgrade, nothing on the market comes anywhere near the camera in mine so I've nothing to upgrade to! I did pick up a wee 530 for UK roaming on Monday, incredibly well built and functional device for 70 quid off contract!

Advertisement