Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Optical Boosters

Options
  • 10-07-2014 4:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭

Is anyone here using an optical booster for long range shooting?

I had the opportunity the other day to look through one on a March scope mounted on a Tac-50. Impressive piece of glass and kit.

With the booster on, the magnification was somewhere around 80 or 90x. Just screw on and triple the power!

If anyone has any feedback on a particular manufacturer, please advise.
    davis1bx350.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

After a long chat with the owner of BulzEyePro , I bit the bullet and bought an Optical Booster for my Nightforce Benchrest Scope.

As it turns out, you cannot just order any one of the boosters: 2.5x, 3x, 3.5x, or 4. You have to take a quick test to determine which one suits you best.

As luck would have it, I was right on the boundary between 3.5 and 3. The owner was good enough to send two, but only charge for one, leaving the return to the honor system. (Yes, the return is in the mail :))

Anyhow, turns out I was wrong in a few statements made and for the record, wanted to correct this thread.
    FISMA wrote: »
    With the booster on, the magnification was somewhere around 80 or 90x.

Actually, the scope was a March 8-80x56mm. The magnification was up over 100x.
    FISMA wrote: »
    Just screw on and triple the power!
    My mistake.

From what I understand, the number before the "x" is just the magnification of the lens by itself. A lot like if you buy a single magnifying lens or jeweler's loupe.

No where on the site is it stated, implied, or inferred that the "x" is for multiplication. I, like many others, made that mistake.

When you put a lens in to a compound system, the total magnification is a bit more complicated than just a bit of multiplication. Shame on me, I should have known better and done my homework.

Anyhow, I tested the booster out a recent 1000ya competition. I would estimate that the booster gives about a 30% increase in magnification. Compared to the last shoot, accuracy was much improved, precision even more.

To make a long story short, I would recommend picking one of these up.

After speaking with the owner, I can say that I have almost 100% eliminated parallax from my BR shooting.

The only drawback is the price, mine was $175. However, it beats replacing an expensive scope.

For anyone that has an older NF BR scope, they are having a sale which would be well worth your while.

If anyone is interested in learning more, or on the fence about getting one, feel free to contact me. With no restrictions on im/exporting, we may even be able to do a group buy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Yup.

From over 2 years ago and more recently.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Advertisement