Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 5 – July 9th, Ypres - Arenberg **Unmasked Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

2smiggy wrote: »
    at work , but think i will take a half day to watch today's stage. should be a cracker

Some obliging chap brought in an Xbox with Sky Player on it to hook it up to the dusty oul tv in the corner so it will be on in the background after lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Do they make any adjustments to the bikes to take account of the cobbles?

Yeah, they'll have bikes modified to suit this type of stage.

I should have given Nico a lend of my Ridley, it has a designed for Pave sticker on it which would have helped him win today.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭n-dawg

Andre Greipel
    Do they make any adjustments to the bikes to take account of the cobbles?

Slightly wider tires, box section wheels.... maybe double wrap bar tape.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Will they not be using the likes of the Roubaix etc today?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Paddigol

John Degenkolb
    What time do you reckon they'll reach the Hornaing pave section? No half day for me, but think I'll nip out to take this section in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,864 ✭✭✭De Bhál

John Degenkolb
    Paddigol wrote: »
    What time do you reckon they'll reach the Hornaing pave section? No half day for me, but think I'll nip out to take this section in.

looking at some time between 4 to 4:30pm

basing this on the Time Schedule from http://www.letour.com/le-tour/2014/us/days-stage.html

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Stroon

I'm pretty new to watching cycling - what I'm imagining after reading all the previews of today is pretty much the big red balls from Total Wipeout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Greg Van Avermaet
    Not based on anything in particular or even in general, I've gone for nearly man Vanmarcke in the poll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Peter Sagan
    Laurent Bruwier, a sports journalist from the Belgain broadcasting company RTBF, has tweeted that sectors 5 and 7 won't be used today :(
    Les secteurs 5 et 7 ne seront pas franchis aujourd'hui. #velortbf

No official confirmed reports as of yet.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Michal Kwiatkowski
    Cobbled sectors 5 and 7 are out

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Peter Sagan
    yeah confirmed now.

From Cyclingnews:
    Two sectors of cobblestones have been removed from the route of stage 5 of the Tour de France due to heavy rainfall in northern France. The race jury communicated its decision to the teams association AIGCP on Wednesday morning, before the start of the stage from Ypres to Arenberg. Sector 7, the 1,000-metre stretch of cobbles at Mons-en-Pévèle, and sector 5, the 1,400 metres from Orchies to Beuvry-la-Forêt, have been removed from the course. The race jury deemed that they had been rendered too dangerous by the conditions.
    “The race jury called me and they asked me to inform the teams that sectors five and seven would be removed from the route due to weather. If there are other changes then that’s up to the jury. Safety is one of the most important things for us so it’s a good call,” AIGCP managing director Luuc Eisenga told Cyclingnews.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,130 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Alejandro Valverde
    booooo !!

but safety has to come first , a pity all the same

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Michal Kwiatkowski
    I didn't know Liam Neeson was Johan Museeuw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,736 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

This is the first day I have seen the LeMonde section, Jesus he is so awkward.

Michal Kwiatkowski
    Pudsy33 wrote: »
    This is the first day I have seen the LeMonde section, Jesus he is so awkward.

Theoretically he should be great on tv, he's very affable and loves to talk. Awful in practice

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

John Degenkolb
    He needs someone there to give him a steer and he'd be grand. The French guy they've had with him isn't suitable for this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

I think he is awkward in his delivery, but what he has to say is quite interesting.

Miserable out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭afatbollix

A grand soft day

Michal Kwiatkowski
    Wind is going to gradually die down during the day, it is expected.

Michal Kwiatkowski
    Tony Martin is in the break there

That's the problem with nipping in at lunch to watch the stage this early, it's heavily loaded with ads in order to get them out of the way for later.

When will they hit the cobbles does anyone know? Thinking of a quick run to the shops.

Michal Kwiatkowski
    Pudsy33 wrote: »
    When will they hit the cobbles does anyone know? Thinking of a quick run to the shops.

Not for a good while yet, first section is after 87km.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭buffalo

Arnaud Demare
    Tony Martin is in the break there

Up the road for Terpstra?

Not for a good while yet, first section is after 87km.

Sweet, lots of time! Nico looks fairly wrapped up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Peter Sagan
    Froome down again :(

• Advertisement

There you go, Froome down, maybe he was a bit jittery.

Advertisement