Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passenger numbers

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

davidlacey wrote: »
    Could an indirect train not be used to rosslare from say the bay platform from bray to increase speed and frequency of services , a simple transfer would not hurt people that much

The bus is already faster and cheaper i.e this idea would just about finish off the line and I'm surprised that CIE/IE haven't tried it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭davidlacey

But frequency of the service is poor and line speeds for rosslare trains are equally as poor with a congested Dart network

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

davidlacey wrote: »
    But frequency of the service is poor and line speeds for rosslare trains are equally as poor with a congested Dart network
    true, but making the passengers change off the train to a dart will just put people off, especially when they could get a direct bus or take a car instead, or wait for the trains that do run direct, trust me, direct trains on this line are the only way i'm afraid

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

IR is a standing Joke In my opinion

Ive travelled on the Lj to waterford in the 70s and 80s and the time table of two trains is the same today. The times were set for boat trains in Rosslare which the train now doesn't even reach. CIE and IR has consistently refused to actually implement any useful time table.

WHY, because they keep lines like this in their back pocket to close to get the minister off their back. Its used to deflect attention away from other white elephants like the WRC

Look at the WRC , potentially Limerick to Waterford passes through large catchment areas, better ones then WRC does. This is recognised by the 2013 strategic rail review. Low numbers on the WRC , response, increase number of trains and drop prices, result , funnily and increase in numbers

Now ask yourself why IR will not do ( nor since 1970) has refused to alter the time table on the Limerick Waterford line.???? There hasn't been a sunday passenger train on that line in my living memory

Take Wexford - Rosslare Harbour. Funnily you'd expect that this is primarily to serve the port, SO what do IR do, remove the station , which was convenient to the ships and put in a "halt" 900metres across a desolate carpark, ( I know I used it two years ago). Then run the trains with no consideration for the ship timetables

Result, all the foot passenger go by Bus. , Next step , you'll hear IR bleating about low numbers, then " Oh of course minister we can effect savings by closing Rosslare, or LJ - Waterford"

BY THE WAY the strategic rail review specifically mentioned the unsuitability of commuter trains for The Connolly Rosslare service. Its the reason some IC units were moved there at all.

IR play with a train set, it doesn't run a passenger transport system, it has long ago given that up. It needs to be killed off soon. You cannot have a management that simply "fixes" things by killing its own services, IR Management needs the guts to try and GROW traffic, not just endless " rationalisation"

Not to mention of course the millions wasted in cutting up perfectly good stock, storing locos only relatively recently acquired and even today now rationalising the 22K fleet into smaller sets to save fuel ( which lowers passenger facilities and reduces stock flexibility )

This is a railway run to keep staff in a job, i.e. by continuously lowering running costs to the detriment of actually carrying passengers, The end result is that the system will , outside of Dublin Communter areas just fail over time. InterCity rail is now carrying so few passengers ( and virtually zero freight) that it has become a transport irrelevancy. You wouldn't notice the increase in cars if the rail system outside of Dublin was closed.

IRs view is to have a profitable railway with low costs and no passengers, cause that will keep the politicians off their back.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

BoatMad wrote: »
    InterCity rail is now carrying so few passengers ( and virtually zero freight) that it has become a transport irrelevancy. You wouldn't notice the increase in cars if the rail system outside of Dublin was closed.

i wouldn't go that far at the moment, but its definitely what will happen as IE won't buck up their ideas, and the government would rather use it as a political tool ultimately to help some private bus operator friend or road haulier friend (well it is ireland agendas and vested interests are the only things that matter) . irish rail don't like southeast ireland. never have never will. plenty of 22 ks about even with the reformations but they wish to keep them for their pet station heuston, and because its operationally convenient to do so because of the pointless out of the way rail care depot at portlaoise (which frankly should be shut and lock stock and barrel returned to dublin) same with droghida. surely there is some space at inchicore (its not as if the land set aside for re-development is ever going to be developed) and even if a large rail care depot was placed there there is plenty of space for DU. there is probably going to be a rail care depot built for any new units bought for DU anyway so why not make it the main rail care depot with cork and limerick being the depot for their respective fleets. not going to happen though. we could have had so much boatmad, so much, but it isn't to be. a shame

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
Advertisement