Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Passenger numbers

Options
  • 08-07-2014 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

So good news for IE with passenger numbers up 2.7% for the for 6 months of the year, most striking for me is a steady increase in intercity passenger numbers by 5% and the cork route improving the most with an increase of 7%. Do you share IEs optimism of a continued increase in passenger numbers and what do IE need to do to continue this trend without stating obvious things such as increasing line speeds which will not happen for the foreseeable future

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

I reckon the increases could be caused largely by Dublin property prices forcing people to commute from distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

One must remember that these figures are coming from a low base, but are still welcoming.

There is potential to continue to grow these numbers, but capacity will have to be increased on many services.

Packing everyone into a 4 or 5 car 22 and a 4 car DART will only work so far in growing customers. People like having a seat on Intercity Journeys, that will not be the case if passenger numbers rise much more on many services.

Great to see a rise and long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Good to see numbers rising, but the key question is whether revenues are rising by a similar or greater percentage.

If most of the increase is only paying €9.99 then that's not going to have the same impact!

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭BonkeyDonker

lxflyer wrote: »
    Good to see numbers rising, but the key question is whether revenues are rising by a similar or greater percentage.

If most of the increase is only paying €9.99 then that's not going to have the same impact!

9.99 is better than nothing. Operating costs should not really be increasing as the services would be running either way, so each 9.99 is still an additional income source.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,584 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

9.99 is better than nothing. Operating costs should not really be increasing as the services would be running either way, so each 9.99 is still an additional income source.

Yes, but what if those numbers include large numbers who were already paying the full fare and were then paying the lower sale fare?

While it's great to see numbers rising, you need the bigger picture:
    - Passenger numbers
    - Load factor
    - Average fare
    - Overall revenue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,115 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

I took the news with a pinch of salt, considering the evidence and the ongoing dispute regarding the pay cut proposals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

As long as it's quicker by bus and car, IR will have difficulty filling trains. Rosslare - Dublin being an example, you're lucky to get 10 onboard past Wexford to the Rosslares and 40 or 50 past Wexford. I know this as I've been onboard, and I count passenger numbers most days past Wexford. This is a 4 car 22000 Class which has people standing after Bray. The issue is the DART. It cannot be passed out, so your train regularly grinds to a halt. This won't help numbers, so if anything can be done

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

man98 wrote: »
    As long as it's quicker by bus and car, IR will have difficulty filling trains. Rosslare - Dublin being an example, you're lucky to get 10 onboard past Wexford to the Rosslares and 40 or 50 past Wexford. I know this as I've been onboard, and I count passenger numbers most days past Wexford. This is a 4 car 22000 Class which has people standing after Bray. The issue is the DART. It cannot be passed out, so your train regularly grinds to a halt. This won't help numbers, so if anything can be done

What sort of numbers are you expecting past Wexford when the last two stations are a beach and a village. Wexford is the real terminus for services, further south has lost its USP as foot passengers are low business now compared to 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,998 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    What sort of numbers are you expecting past Wexford when the last two stations are a beach and a village. Wexford is the real terminus for services, further south has lost its USP as foot passengers are low business now compared to 20 years ago.
    no, rosslare is the real terminus, i even think the train is the only direct service to dublin from rosslare now or have the busses been brought back or what was the situation around that? i don't use the bus services so a lot could have changed over the years since i did, your right in it not having a USP anymore for many reasons not helped by irish rail but removing it if it was to happen would in my opinion bring undue hardship upon the users from rosslare

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

As long as it's quicker by bus and car, IR will have difficulty filling trains.

true, all though whatever about cars being quicker how a coach can be faster during the day with lots of traffic around beats me, i'd not be surprised at night when there is hardly any or no traffic, observing some of them over the years they travel way to fast for my liking though, yet when i used the BE services years ago they seemed to crawl along unless it was night when they had a clear run due to no traffic and probably being an extra bus which was wexford only.
    Rosslare - Dublin being an example, you're lucky to get 10 onboard past Wexford to the Rosslares and 40 or 50 past Wexford. I know this as I've been onboard, and I count passenger numbers most days past Wexford. This is a 4 car 22000 Class which has people standing after Bray.

that can be the case, all though other days the train could be rather full leaving wexford, the traffic isn't static on this line like others, apart from 2900s turning up on some services and it being rather slow, its a decent service when ICRS are on the runs, no way i would go to an alternative now, when the 27/8/900s on all services didn't drive me away nothing will.
    The issue is the DART. It cannot be passed out, so your train regularly grinds to a halt. This won't help numbers, so if anything can be done

ideally taking a serious look at giving the long distance services priority over dart with no stops in the dublin area would be considered, so graystones being the last stop for rosslare services with a dart following behind, the stops in the dublin area removed, would be an annoyance probably but so be it, thats what dart is there for, to serve those stops, but it won't happen, and the long distance trains will crawl along behind the dact (dublin area crawl transport)

• Advertisement

no, rosslare is the real terminus, i even think the train is the only direct service to dublin from rosslare now or have the busses been brought back or what was the situation around that? i don't use the bus services so a lot could have changed over the years since i did, your right in it not having a USP anymore for many reasons not helped by irish rail but removing it if it was to happen would in my opinion bring undue hardship upon the users from rosslare

There would be no savings by closing the section of line apart form fuel which isn't much.

As was pointed out to me, storing trains overnight in Wexford would be disastorous as it's simple to use other entrances into the station for vandals, unlike Rosslare Harbour. The only time Wexford trains are packed is on a Sunday afternoon.

As was pointed out to me, storing trains overnight in Wexford would be disastorous as it's simple to use other entrances into the station for vandals, unlike Rosslare Harbour. The only time Wexford trains are packed is on a Sunday afternoon.

While it may be an issue, something like this wouldn't be considered when closing a section of line. There is no real benefit to IE to close services south of Wexford.

The only time Wexford trains are packed is on a Sunday afternoon.

well thats genuinely news to me, i'm not saying i don't believe you as i haven't been on the line for a little while but if thats the case its sad indeed, i remember mostly packed to the guills trains on this line and then the suburban railcars came along which probably did drive a lot of people away never to return (who could blame them) i suppose its a case of once someone receives a bad service they won't come back, IE should be using opportunities to promote the fact they have new intercity style trains on the line now (of course stupidly they don't operate on all services which isn't going to help that needs to be sorted no excuses) . sometimes i do fear for this lines future, being on the wrong side of the tracks of course means we won't get a consistant product like other long distance services

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

If only Wexford Town Council could do something to protect the line on the quays such that IE would feel able to chop a few minutes per service out of the Wexford/Rosslare section.

dowlingm wrote: »
    If only Wexford Town Council could do something to protect the line on the quays such that IE would feel able to chop a few minutes per service out of the Wexford/Rosslare section.

as that is something that makes sense, wexford town council isn't going to do it

I happen to know plenty of people on the council... I would assume it's too difficult too guard the tracks as they are too open. Maybe if the limit was increased to 10mph it would be safe.

It really wouldn't make a huge difference to justify the cost. Probably savings 3-4 mins max and for the level of usage the financials don't stack up. It wouldn't have any positive effect on numbers as they are simply not their to being with.

It really wouldn't make a huge difference to justify the cost. Probably savings 3-4 mins max and for the level of usage the financials don't stack up. It wouldn't have any positive effect on numbers as they are simply not their to being with.
    in todays compensation culture the tracks shouldn't be wide open, whether the numbers are or aren't there to begin with or whether the numbers stack up or not doesn't matter, i'm sure some solution can be found to guard the tracks so the speed limit can be increased with little cost, after all thats why we pay councilors, to find solutions, and irish rail management get payed more then enough to come up with solutions for things such as this

Does IE own the land the tramway is on, technically? It might be legally tricky to secure it otherwise, plus there is right of way at the manual LC.

Wexford County Council should consider it in their interest to have efficient service to Rosslare but also they now control Wexford Town since the town council was abolished this year. An enclosed track would be safer one would think though obviously there will be idiots who decline to use authorized crossing points.

• Advertisement

Does IE own the land the tramway is on, technically? It might be legally tricky to secure it otherwise, plus there is right of way at the manual LC.

Wexford County Council should consider it in their interest to have efficient service to Rosslare but also they now control Wexford Town since the town council was abolished this year. An enclosed track would be safer one would think though obviously there will be idiots who decline to use authorized crossing points.
    a good old electric fence along the track should sort that, the train triggers something in the track that activates it when leaving wexford station toards rosslare and when about to come into wexford from rosslare , its not going to happen though, oh well

in todays compensation culture the tracks shouldn't be wide open, whether the numbers are or aren't there to begin with or whether the numbers stack up or not doesn't matter, i'm sure some solution can be found to guard the tracks so the speed limit can be increased with little cost, after all thats why we pay councilors, to find solutions, and irish rail management get payed more then enough to come up with solutions for things such as this

There are lots of solutions, but they costs lots which neither party have.

There's not much for free in life. IE would get back some fuel and crew time while Wexford would have diesel exhaust wafting along the waterfront for a shorter time.

There are lots of solutions, but they costs lots which neither party have.

doubt it, i'm sure a solution can be found that doesn't cost lots, just no will to find it, hence my suggestion of an electric fence that activates when the train comes toards the wexford tramway each way.

There's not much for free in life. IE would get back some fuel and crew time while Wexford would have diesel exhaust wafting along the waterfront for a shorter time.

Its highly likely that IE crew get paid per service or per hour and for a saving of 5 minutes it would not effect pay. As for fuel you are really clutching at straws here, there is little fuel consumption when a train is traveling at 25 mp/h with all engines just ticking over.

5 mph on the tramway. There is a sign visible from Street View.

I can see the Wexford southern exit getting buffer stops like Tralee's exit toward Fenit if something isn't done to increase loads to Rosslare. Then 46min will be chopped out of the schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

5 mph on the tramway. There is a sign visible from Street View.

I can see the Wexford southern exit getting buffer stops like Tralee's exit toward Fenit if something isn't done to increase loads to Rosslare. Then 46min will be chopped out of the schedule.

To be more constructive I would suggest that reopening the Rosslare to Waterford line for freight would really help, especially if beet traffic were up and running.

To be more constructive I would suggest that reopening the Rosslare to Waterford line for freight would really help, especially if beet traffic were up and running.
    and maybe re-introduce a passenger service one day, while it had low usership it seemed to be useful, apparently the bus replacement is rather useless but thats just what i've heard so i can't confirm, sort out the junction for bi-directional running to the waterford line from both rosslare and wexford, sadly its not going to happen and if IE did decide to close wexford rosslare i can't see the NTA/DTA/whatever they call themselves these days saying no, but i suppose stranger things have happened.

Need a rail connected beet factory first. Also, weren't the beet wagons cut up?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Run the train at the same speed you would a tram. Then let darwinism sort out those too stupid to take basic care when crossing a bloody railway.

Advertisement