Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Council housing no longer suitable

Options
  • 08-07-2014 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi
    My name is Annmarie (me), my partner and our 16 months old are living in a bedsit with the Dublin city council. It hard we both work in low paying job so we can't private rent or entitled to any help. We email and go in when we can but same thing there nothing they can do. Is there anyone out there being treated like this by the council? And how are we supposed to live like this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

hope29 wrote: »
    Hi
    My name is Annmarie (me), my partner and our 16 months old are living in a bedsit with the Dublin city council. It hard we both work in low paying job so we can't private rent or entitled to any help. We email and go in when we can but same thing there nothing they can do. Is there anyone out there being treated like this by the council? And how are we supposed to live like this?

I don't understand.
    Is the bedsit a Council property?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭Bongalongherb

Hi

I'm sorry, but you were given housing from the council for cheap and you are complaining about being given a roof over your head for you and your child. There are thousands of Irish citizens out there waiting for 10/15 years to get housed, so I'd be happy with what you have got if I was you.

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

I'm sorry, but you were given housing from the council for cheap and you are complaining about being given a roof over your head for you and your child. There are thousands of Irish citizens out there waiting for 10/15 years to get housed, so I'd be happy with what you have got if I was you.
    There is no need for this attitude, the OP is entitled to enquire if anyone else is in the same boat especially considering bedsits are illegal.
    If you can't post in a civilised and constructive manner, please don't post.

/Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 17 callumsmom

Go to your local td or voluntary housing organisations they may be able to help you out and they favour people who are out working

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

No elections coming up, so TD's aren't usually helpful unless looking for your vote.

Are you in a bed sit, or a one bedroom apartment?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

My name is Annmarie (me), my partner and our 16 months old are living in a bedsit with the Dublin city council.
    I find it odd that there is a family unit in a bedsit. How many rooms do you have access to in total? And are any of the facilities shared? Finally, where were you before this?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,741 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

especially considering bedsits are illegal.

I think this bit isn't quite true.

Shared bathroom bedsits are illegal. But if you have a combined living/sleeping area but your own bathroom and access to a laundry it's acceptable. (I stand to be corrected).

OP, can we just clarify: When you say bedsit, do you mean that there are no separate bedrooms in the place, ie that there is one room that you use for cooking, eating, living in, and sleeping? And that you have your own bathroom (ie toilet and shower)?

I know it's unusual for families to be places in units like that. How long have you been there for - eg was it before your baby was born that you moved in? If so, then they might just have you on the very-long list of people who need something bigger.

Or, if you've only been moved it very recently, it might be because the only other option was a hotel room - and in that case you woudn't have had access to cooking facilities. So it's probably better than nothing as a short term.

And lastly, yes, I agree that the system is very bad for people in low-paying jobs. If you were unemployed, you may well qualify for more help (eg rent allowance) - but you would have different problems, including boredom and a lack of hope that things might get better. Your best bet it to keep your eyes open, learn everything you can and try to get better paying work which gives you more opportunities.

I think this bit isn't quite true.

Shared bathroom bedsits are illegal. But if you have a combined living/sleeping area but your own bathroom and access to a laundry it's acceptable. (I stand to be corrected).

There isn't any other type of bedsit - a bedsit is defined as a single unit room with shared bathroom facilities, if the property isn't that, then it isn't a bedsit, it's a studio apartment or a 1 bed apartment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedsit
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/bedsit
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/bedsit

My point stands - bedsits are illegal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Is there anyone out there being treated like this by the council? And how are we supposed to live like this?
    Could you please describe the actual difficulties that you are experiencing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

There isn't any other type of bedsit - a bedsit is defined as a single unit room with shared bathroom facilities, if the property isn't that, then it isn't a bedsit, it's a studio apartment or a 1 bed apartment.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedsit
    http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/english/bedsit
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/bedsit

My point stands - bedsits are illegal.

Everybody knows what a bedsit is..it's a one-room dwelling with a bed in the sitting-room area...any bedsit I've ever seen was pretty far from being an "apartment"..does nobody use the term Flat anymore?

And as for them being illegal...next time you're in the Dorset St,Nth Circular road area...look at the number of doorways with multiple bells then look at the windows of these dwellings...apartments they are not.

• Advertisement

chopper6 wrote: »
    Everybody knows what a bedsit is..it's a one-room dwelling with a bed in the sitting-room area...any bedsit I've ever seen was pretty far from being an "apartment"..does nobody use the term Flat anymore?

And as for them being illegal...next time you're in the Dorset St,Nth Circular road area...look at the number of doorways with multiple bells then look at the windows of these dwellings...apartments they are not.

No, actually, not everyone does know what a bedsit is. They don't need to be a multi room spacious flat/apartment to meet the minimum standards for the regulations, they just need to have a bathroom for each rented unit - ie unshared.
    I am also very much aware that there are still bedsits in Dublin, but those properties are slowing being inspected and the landlords are being brought to task.
    In fact one of my friends is currently in the situation where the entire building has been served with eviction notices as the landlord didn't upgrade the building to meet the minimum requirements.

They don't need to be a multi room spacious flat/apartment to meet the minimum standards for the regulations, they just need to have a bathroom for each rented unit - ie unshared.

In fact one of my friends is currently in the situation where the entire building has been served with eviction notices as the landlord didn't upgrade the building to meet the minimum requirements.

Question: does the bathroom need to be contiguous with the rest of the accommodation? I'm thinking about one building of bedsits that I know, where each floor has five bedrooms and two shared bathrooms. Would it be possible for two of the rooms to still be let out, with them having un-shared access to a bathroom each, which just happens to be down the corridor.

Re your friend's situation ... so the council is effectively making people homeless? Or is this in a smaller town where there are 1brm or studio apartments available? if not, then I'd be getting on to the papers, Total madness to be making people homeless because middle class bureaucrats are squeamish about bodily functions.

(I appreciate that a non-shared bathroom is the ideal - but not having one is better than a homeless shelter, ffs.)

Question: does the bathroom need to be contiguous with the rest of the accommodation? I'm thinking about one building of bedsits that I know, where each floor has five bedrooms and two shared bathrooms. Would it be possible for two of the rooms to still be let out, with them having un-shared access to a bathroom each, which just happens to be down the corridor.

Re your friend's situation ... so the council is effectively making people homeless? Or is this in a smaller town where there are 1brm or studio apartments available? if not, then I'd be getting on to the papers, Total madness to be making people homeless because middle class bureaucrats are squeamish about bodily functions.

(I appreciate that a non-shared bathroom is the ideal - but not having one is better than a homeless shelter, ffs.)

I don't think it's been tested yet, but you have to assume that if only two units have access to two bathrooms, that this would be acceptable.

My friend is based in Dublin city, so she is currently house hunting, being a foreigner, she was unaware of tenancy laws and regulations here, so was caught out. It's a bit extreme to be saying they are making people homeless - they are adhering to the law and giving people ample time to get new accommodation sorted.

Hi

Annmarie to bring this back to you and your query can you let us know if you are in a bedsit (ie a one roomed dwelling with a shared bathroom facility with other residents) or are you in a small flat/apt (studio/1 bed).
    As No Pants asked, can you let us know the issues & difficulties you are having?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭BOHS

If there are 3 of you in a bedsit it would mean that when you were given the property it was only for 1 person and a partner and child joined later on which means you would now be on the transfer list.

I would imagine that due to the housing crisis at the moment most councils are finding it hard to remove people from homeless accommodation let alone transfer current tenants so chances are it will be a long wait

• Registered Users Posts: 13 hope29

fussyonion wrote: »
    I don't understand.
    Is the bedsit a Council property?

Yes it is

Annmarie to bring this back to you and your query can you let us know if you are in a bedsit (ie a one roomed dwelling with a shared bathroom facility with other residents) or are you in a small flat/apt (studio/1 bed).
    As No Pants asked, can you let us know the issues & difficulties you are having?

Thanks

It a flat and it very hard the baby not sleeping great either do I. We can't turn on the light after the baby go to bed. Sometime we just sit in the darkness and can't even watch tv. The baby has no floor space and keep hurt herself

goz83 wrote: »
    No elections coming up, so TD's aren't usually helpful unless looking for your vote.

Are you in a bed sit, or a one bedroom apartment?

Bedsit I wish I have another room

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is it emergency accommodation, or have you gotten a year long lease? Also, you say you are both on low paying jobs; how much rent could you afford when you combine wages, and minus out food, etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It sounds like a one bedroom apartment or flat and the issue is having to either have the baby sleeping in the parents bedroom or have it sleeping in the main living room?

• Advertisement

The baby has no floor space and keep hurt herself
    Does the baby not have a cot?

It a flat and it very hard the baby not sleeping great either do I. We can't turn on the light after the baby go to bed. Sometime we just sit in the darkness and can't even watch tv. The baby has no floor space and keep hurt herself
    Bedsit I wish I have another room

Annmarie, which is it a flat, where you have your own bathroom facilities or a bedsit, where the bathroom is down the hall and other families have access to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Just on naming of a flat or an apartment.

A flat is an entire floor of a building while an apartment is a division of space. All flats are apartments but apartments aren't all flats. As older houses converted were the standard flat was used in common language in Ireland.

So a flat can actually be bigger but has mostly been replace with the use of apartment.

We live eat and sleep in the room, the toilet separate and on it own no sharing and it with the DDC and it davitt house. I move in before the baby was living in my parents no room there. There 2 bedroom in the complex but the council giving them to single people which make no sense

We live eat and sleep in the room, the toilet separate and on it own no sharing and it with the DDC and it davitt house. I move in before the baby was living in my parents no room there. There 2 bedroom in the complex but the council giving them to single people which make no sense

Ok, so it's a studio apartment - thanks for clarifying.

At this point, the only thing you can do it build a case for yourself and approach the council regarding a transfer as the property is not suitable for your needs.

Ray Palmer wrote: »
    Just on naming of a flat or an apartment.

A flat is an entire floor of a building while an apartment is a division of space. All flats are apartments but apartments aren't all flats. As older houses converted were the standard flat was used in common language in Ireland.

So a flat can actually be bigger but has mostly been replace with the use of apartment.
    I did not know that, Ray. Thanks.

There 2 bedroom in the complex but the council giving them to single people which make no sense

I guess this is because the single people have been on the waiting list for years and years - eventually it gets to the point where they have to be offered something, even though other people may have a higher immediate need. (This rule was put in a while ago, becuase otherwise single people - often ones with health problems who have no hope of anything better) were never getting housesd.)

Also, sometimes single-again people have children who stay with them part time, so they do need a 2brm for their family.

Can you see if anyone else in the complex would be willing to swap with you? Maybe there's someone with a 1brm even, who might feel sorry for you and not mind living in a bedsit ... sorry studio apartment .. themselves?

Also, go to your doctor, and ask them for a letter to the council saying that it is harming the baby not having enough floor space for them to crawl on, and not having a separate room to sleep in. Giving this to the council should help to get your name further up the transfer list.

Lastly, is there any chance that you might get jobs in another town where private rentals are cheaper? I know this could be very hard to organise if you've got family close by who help with childcare at the moment, but it could be an option if you have friends or relatives who live somewhere else and could help.

Good luck - it must be really hard caring for a baby is a space that small.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

If you're saying you moved in before the baby was born, did you inform anyone of the new arrival? I'm pretty sure you are entitled to an "upgrade" so to speak once you have a baby. As it stands you're living in what sounds like a tiny apartment for a single person/couple.

If you're saying you moved in before the baby was born, did you inform anyone of the new arrival? I'm pretty sure you are entitled to an "upgrade" so to speak once you have a baby. As it stands you're living in what sounds like a tiny apartment for a single person/couple.

I did let them know and I was truthfully. Hopefully one day will get move. I have gone in to the DCC and email and they won't response to me now and then I got told it could be years before they move me and my family. So there nothing I can do.

• Advertisement

Oh she's entitled to an "upgrade" alright.

The problem is that the council don't have enough houses for the folks who are entitled to housing. So there's a queue, which she's in.

Advertisement