Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[US] 24: Day 9 - Live Another Day, The Final Hour [ 10 p.m. - 11 a.m. ][* SPOILERS *]

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Network television numbers are down across the board. Plus this was a summer time slot comparing the original series to this isn't really useful. Summer time tv always has lower ratings. Hence, why Fox bought it back in summer.

I see it as a toss up and it might even depend on DVD sales..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭WexTK

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    There's no TV show quite like 24, and certainly no TV hero like Jack Bauer!

Well has there been a show like 24 is the question? A show that ran for 8 seasons, disappeared for 4 years and then returned with an "event series" whatever that means?

Cancelled shows that were revived with same protagonist? Anyone? I mean something like "Dallas" effectively had a newish cast....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,233 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Heller's speech at the end was fantastic. Just ever-so-slightly nudged out of "best moment of the episode" by Jack throwing the meat cleaver.

Overall, I enjoyed the season. Right call to stick to 12 episodes imo. Jack throwing Margot out the window while handcuffed is one of the best 24 moments ever.

Only downsides were Heller escaping the drone attack in Wembley (kinda ridiculous, even by 24 standards), and Ritter becoming CIA station chief after Navarro was found out. Ritter never seemed to be anything more than a soldier type of character, like Curtis Manning. He just seemed out of place as Station chief

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

Penn wrote: »
    Heller's speech at the end was fantastic. Just ever-so-slightly nudged out of "best moment of the episode" by Jack throwing the meat cleaver.

Overall, I enjoyed the season. Right call to stick to 12 episodes imo. Jack throwing Margot out the window while handcuffed is one of the best 24 moments ever.

Only downsides were Heller escaping the drone attack in Wembley (kinda ridiculous, even by 24 standards), and Ritter becoming CIA station chief after Navarro was found out. Ritter never seemed to be anything more than a soldier type of character, like Curtis Manning. He just seemed out of place as Station chief

Ritter was only a temporary chief, to be fair. The only disappointment in the season for me, was the skip forward in time. i thought they could've made better use of that, maybe cut out a section or two earlier in the show and shown a bit more of what happened before Jack handed himself over. But it was a really enjoyable season and definitely a good call to do 12 episodes rather than 24.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Very much enjoyed the series with the final episode being, so very true to form.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Why's Jack gone to Moscow??! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,394 ✭✭✭Pac1Man

catallus wrote: »
    Why's Jack gone to Moscow??! :(

He's sacrificed himself for Chloe's sake. He's been on the run from the Russians for a while so he will now effectively serve his punishment. It was the correct decision if they are to go ahead with a new series. At least his slate will be wiped clean and they won't be forced to involve the Russians again.

How will he survive Moscow though? Maybe Tony Almeida and President Logan will break him out! They're still alive so here's hoping. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭KeithM89

Reading the 24 wiki there, Jack killed 21 people in that last episode alone. What a hero :D
    http://24.wikia.com/wiki/On-screen_kills_by_Jack_Bauer

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shaneosexual

What was the point in the time jump? Why did the Russians wait 12 hours to trade Chloe for Jack if it was only "outside London"?

What was the point in the time jump? Why did the Russians wait 12 hours to trade Chloe for Jack if it was only "outside London"?

I think the time jump was more to give Audrey a send off than for Jacks trade with the Russians. Was worth it just for Hellers gut wrenching speech.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Shaneosexual

It still doesn't make sense that the Russians wanted Jack so badly and they waited 12 hours to do the trade. Like they said to Jack that they would trade in the morning so get a good night's sleep.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Reading the 24 wiki there, Jack killed 21 people in that last episode alone. What a hero :D
    http://24.wikia.com/wiki/On-screen_kills_by_Jack_Bauer
    Offhand there does not seem to be an episode where he does not kill anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

They only did the 12 hour jump so that they could round it to a 24 hour day. Bit silly but in an episode in which they drove from London to Southampton in ten minutes who really cares about things making sense?
    KeithM89 wrote: »
    Day 10 set in Moscow with Chloe and Belcheck trying to find Jack, its obvious the door was left open for another season.

Support from Kate & Big Tony Almeida too. Can't wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭lambayire

Really enjoyed that final episode last night.

Gripping stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,693 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Did I miss something or what happened to the over-ride device or whatever it was called. They seemed to forget about it once Jack showed off his golf swing with Cheng.

Good point. I assume that Cheng had it on the boat still so would have been retrieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Was it not on the boat?

Yeah I thought it was on the boat and that Belcheck went to stop the engines so they couldn't leave with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

Yeah I didn't think the 12-hour wait for the trade with Chloe made sense. But I suppose they just did that to keep the 24-hour time space in place. When it was first announced they made it sound like there would be gaps throughout the series, but I think it worked ok with one hop at the end.

Plenty of options anyway for a new series. Even when 24 gets too samey / predicatble, it's still better than most of the other shoyt on the telly :P

I wonder if they're still trying to make the film happen.

Just watched the finale there for the 2nd time, I thought it was a great conclusion to a very strong season.

I was sad to see Audrey go, even more so on 2nd viewing of the episode. Even though the preview for the finale showed a coffin and hinted at a major death, once Audrey got clear of the first sniper I was surprised and considered her safe. Then out of nowhere a 2nd shooter appears, I was shocked. Well done to the writers for the 'now you're safe, now you're not' approach they took with that.

Poor Pres. Hellar, his speech at the end was a major dose of the feels and the music that accompanied it only heightened those feelings. I wonder does he now look forward to his condition worsening so that he can forget about this as soon as possible? Sad end for a great 24 character. Even more so when you consider that he could possibly be impeached when he returns to the U.S. for with-holding knowledge of his illness. No doubt there would be suggestions from the opposition that his illness only added to the turmoil in London.

Kate Morgan was a revelation for me this season, strong acting from the girl who played her. Even though Navarro is gone and her husband has been cleared, it still seemed like Kate was done with the C.I.A. in those final scenes of her's. Would love to see her back if the show goes on with another season.

Kiefer Sutherland was immense in this episode. With the rushed feeling of the whole thing, he did amazing work with the character and for 5 seconds I honestly thought Jack was going to shoot himself upon hearing about Audrey. I was wholly satisfied with the Jack/Cheng resolution, Cheng showed some martial arts chops and Jack got to kick the shíte out of him before then taking his head off. What became of the override device? Hmm, we have to assume that Jack sorted it somehow. Who knows what happened in that 12 hour jump.

On that 12 hour jump, I didn't see a problem with it. One reason could have been to round the season up to 24 hours, I feel though that the main reason was for that scene with Audrey's coffin and Hellar's speech. By jumping 12 hours, it gave the events some time to breath and we could now see what way the characters were looking back over the previous day. Also, Jack's scene at the end was perfect in daylight, I can't imagine it being so effective in gritty darkness.

So what now for Jack? The way it ended up, it seems that he is destined for Moscow for a life of interrogation/torture and incarceration. However, the beauty of that ending means that we can more or less create any future for Jack in our minds.

Yes he's probably fúcked now with the Russians, but what if the Russians want him to be their bad-ass killing machine? Also, he wasn't patted down for weapons or restrained in the helicopter. Maybe when a few minutes passed, enough time to know that Chloe and Belcheck got well clear of the site and the snipers, he let all hell break loose in that helicopter and escaped to fight another day. The look on his face though suggests that he is somehow at peace with whatever is about to happen to him, he doesn't have to run anymore.

The writers can go any one of a number ways if/when 24 is brought back for another run. I'd love to see a 'break Jack out of Russia' season featuring Kate, Chloe and Tony Almeida. Whatever happens though, I really hope this isn't the last we see of Jack Bauer and 24.

P.S. Belcheck is my new favourite character, shame Jack didn't say 'thanks' or 'goodbye' when they were parting, but I suppose their relationship was strictly business and not having a goodbye with Belcheck only heightened the effect of his parting words with Chloe and their friendship.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭WexTK

Great podcast this week with show director Jon Cassar, quite revealing.

http://www.24spoilers.com/2014/07/17/jon-cassar-interview-empire-podcast/

I predict an announcement at Comic-Con next week ;-)

P.S. Belcheck and Chloe are still arguing in the SUV about who is Jack's bestest buddy :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭unreggd

stankratz wrote: »
    Also, he wasn't patted down for weapons or restrained in the helicopter. Maybe when a few minutes passed, enough time to know that Chloe and Belcheck got well clear of the site and the snipers, he let all hell break loose in that helicopter and escaped to fight another day. The look on his face though suggests that he is somehow at peace with whatever is about to happen to him, he doesn't have to run anymore.

Indeed. And we all know how much he loves to fly them choppers! That look on his face was like he was thinkin about how things never change, and he's always back in these situations.

Kate was class all season. While I think its a sham if she continues as lead in 24, but a spinoff would prob be a failure, she's defo too good a character to waste. Also, it kind of mirrored Renee in the finale when she laid down her badge/gun.

http://www.24spoilers.com/2014/07/20/fox-peter-rice-24-many-stories-left/
    “We haven’t had a specific conversation about it coming back yet, but I’m sure we will in the future. It’s a wonderful franchise. When you look at the show itself, it has many more stories to tell. I think we need to sit down and talk to the creators,”

Theres a 7 minute extra on the 24 Day 9 Blu-Ray featuring
    Tony
    in prison, you can watch it here:
    http://www.wat.tv/video/24heures-chrono-solitary-71fpl_3i21n_.html

HUGE twist at the end.

YES YES YES!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Brendan Flowers

Surely this must mean we'll get Day 10?

If so I wonder will it begin with Tony breaking out or will he already have gotten out? I can't imagine jail breaks happening for both Jack and Tony on the same day, so I'd expect at least one of them to already be free.

Also would is it good or bad guys breaking Tony out. I really hope what he said at the start of Solitary about his guilt and regret was genuine.

Also did anyone recognize the voce of Tony's handler in Solitary? It was George Mason! Well the actor who played him (no way is Mason still alive)! Nice little easter egg from the creators.

Yeah I'd spotted the Mason thing. Definitely just an easter egg. My best mate always swears that Mason will return one day though.

Thing I noticed is that they said that Tony had been insolation for eight years. He is arrested in Day Seven. Day Eight is 18 months later. Day Nine is four years after Day Nine setting this two and a half years after the events of Live Another Day.

Advertisement