Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Intel Galileo Dev Board

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Ruu wrote: »
    Nothing yet here, boooooo!

This is a scandal! Intel, after all we did for them over the years! I'm ringing Joe Duffy !:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

I'm guessing they are reading through the replies people put, and handing them out to those who seemed genuine in developing for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

I got mine delivered yesterday. I'd completely forgotten about it before I got a Fedex mail on Friday. This is like Christmas!!

The parcel contained a Galileo board, USB to ethernet adaptor (for communication with dev PC), Ethernet cable, 16Gig MicroSD preloaded with windows, and most important a green LED :)

I haven't had time to do any more than a quick test to get the LED flashing, but I'm looking forward to having a proper play over the weekend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Brilliant- I'm really looking forward to it- I had pretty much given up on it- but seems like there is hope yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

Just got an email, looks like I'll be getting a Galileo after all. :D

• Advertisement

Nothing here yet...... :(

Nothing here yet...... :(

Weirdly the email was sent to me at 01:20 this morning! Hopefully you hear from them.

Hello The_Conductor,

On April 2nd we announced the Windows Developer Program for IoT at //build/ and asked you to sign-up. Your response has been overwhelmingly positive and many of you have asked how you can use an Intel Galileo board that you either already own or can purchase and we’re pleased to announce today that you can!

Intel has made the latest UEFI firmware available and we have posted instructions on how to install the new Windows image.

This release is also our first servicing release for existing users. If you have your own board or one that we have distributed we’d like you to update to this latest image.

While we are continuing our program, we have finished allocating all the Intel Galileo boards that we purchased. If you were allocated a kit then you should have received either a tracking number or an email saying a kit was allocated to you. If you haven’t received either of those two emails you will still be able to participate in the Windows Developer Program for IoT using a retail board.

Finally, the release information above is for the Intel Galileo Gen 1 hardware, as we continue with our program we are committed to supporting the Gen 2 hardware. We will be making additional Windows images available through our Connect site.

If you have any feedback on this release please let us know at our Connect site.

We can't wait to see what you will make!
    The Microsoft IoT Team

Microsoft Corporation

One Microsoft Way,

Redmond, WA, USA. 98052

Microsoft respects your privacy. To learn more, please read our online Privacy Statement.

If you'd like to unsubscribe and stop receiving these emails click here.

I genuinely hope that those who received the boards intend to use them- and didn't just jump onboard because it was 'free'.

If anyone did get a board- and doesn't intend to use it- I'd love to give it a good home here- both my wifey and I work in IT, and will use it extensively.

Here's hoping!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

I genuinely hope that those who received the boards intend to use them- and didn't just jump onboard because it was 'free'.

If anyone did get a board- and doesn't intend to use it- I'd love to give it a good home here- both my wifey and I work in IT, and will use it extensively.

Here's hoping!

I agree. I would of used one of those boards a lot as I am an electronic engineering student. In before you see these on adverts / ebay.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

I agree. I would of used one of those boards a lot as I am an electronic engineering student. In before you see these on adverts / ebay.

Seen a few on adverts over the last few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭creambun

Getting well used here partner and his friend are currently building a 3d printer programed from the Galileo, mentioned a few other ideas went over my head. Like kids at Christmas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Just a quick questions for the coders.

Where did you start coding and what code? How the hell do you figure out how to code a board to do stuff ! I would love to know.

TallGlass wrote: »
    Just a quick questions for the coders.

Where did you start coding and what code? How the hell do you figure out how to code a board to do stuff ! I would love to know.

That's a broad question. Do you have one of these boards? If not then you could get a cheaper board like an arduino and code in c.

Will offer recommendations based on your answer.

creambun wrote: »
    Getting well used here partner and his friend are currently building a 3d printer programed from the Galileo, mentioned a few other ideas went over my head. Like kids at Christmas

Delighted to hear that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭padair

If anyone has a spare one, would love to try and code on it. Would like to make an automated droid

Here's hoping!

Hi, as I said I'm in line to get one, just waiting for it! If in the first few weeks I'm not enjoying/using it to potential you're first in line to have it. I signed up for genuine reasons, having spent 2 semesters using the arduino kits I thought this would be cool to have, but I won't leave it wasting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Here's hoping!

If you really want one adafruit have them in stock.

It arrived :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Anyone who got one do anything with it? Im looking for ideas - but finding it difficult to think of anything that you cannot do easier with an Arduino.

Most of the books and samples I've seen stop at getting the Galileo emulating an Arduino.

But here is one good book I found for it from Intel (its free):

http://www.apress.com/9781430268390

I've love to get OpenCV and image recognition working on it - but haven't managed get it working just yet....

A9781430268390-3d.png

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement

Is the processor good enough for image recognition?
    I've an x9100 running secure facial recognition algorithms- but it still takes 7-8 seconds per shot (depending on the angle of the video frames etc).
    I might have a go on the Galileo and see how that fares.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I've seen articles on face recognition*... But I can't remember if it was galileo or edison boards.

edit *probably tracking rather than recognition

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭ozmo

Is the processor good enough for image recognition?
    I've an x9100 running secure facial recognition algorithms- but it still takes 7-8 seconds per shot (depending on the angle of the video frames etc).
    I might have a go on the Galileo and see how that fares.......

The book I posted above has a chapter on it.

Realtime shape recognition and face tracking - but doesn't go as far as face recognition. It needs a special build of the firmware uploaded.

When I was trying to get it working - the books source code link, linked to a corrupt zip file - so I was using code from Intels site instead - didnt go so well - I've emailed the book publishers above and they say they have fixed it now - so I might try again this weekend.

“Roll it back”

Advertisement