Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free Intel Galileo Dev Board

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭coroner29

quarryman wrote: »
    My reply says they'll let me know when my kit has shipped.

And you ordered when? Yesterday or today?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

coroner29 wrote: »
    We'll let you know what? :) "when your kit has shipped" or "when we have more to share"

More to share, will update last post

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Delightfully Bright

After entering my address, I got this email:

"Thank you for signing up for the Windows Developer Program for IoT. We’ll let you know when we have more to share."

This seems to be saying that their initial stock has run out but that they might offer these boards again in the future.

Ok, I am gonna set this thread as expired then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭djmarkus

Anyone got shipping confirmation yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭supersparkz

No shipping confirmation here. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

I signed up on the 8th of July but never got an email? Did this happen to anyone else?

johnnykilo wrote: »
    I signed up on the 8th of July but never got an email? Did this happen to anyone else?

You should have get 2 emails, first, after signing up which contains a link to the dev board order page. There you would fill in details like your address and reason why you want the dev board. After sending those details you should have get a second email saying "Thank you for signing up for the Windows Developer Program for IoT. We’ll let you know when your kit has shipped."
    I did not get any more emails since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

You should have get 2 emails, first, after signing up which contains a link to the dev board order page. There you would fill in details like your address and reason why you want the dev board. After sending those details you should have get a second email saying "Thank you for signing up for the Windows Developer Program for IoT. We’ll let you know when your kit has shipped."
    I did not get any more emails since then.
    I never got the second email after submitting my details. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭NinetyForNone

These retail for $70 and the link was on twitter and other bargain sites etc.
    I say this was extremely over-subscribed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,060 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

These retail for $70 and the link was on twitter and other bargain sites etc.
    I say this was extremely over-subscribed.

Whats a pain about an offer like this is people will have just got them cause they were free, I'd say the amount of people who will actually develop anything for them will be tiny. Which will discourage offers like this again in the future.

Putting any amount of a charge in for the board (say even €5) would have lowered demand from people not interested in developing for it massively, but would be unlikely to put people who are interested off.

This me speaking as a developer, not a mod. Of course you are allowed post deals like this, but that is just my personal opinion on them

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭miece16

yeah that what i was thinking also. The general consensus was "oh look its free, lets get one"

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

miece16 wrote: »
    yeah that what i was thinking also. The general consensus was "oh look its free, lets get one"

We're both in IT- and got one between us, as we thought it was only fair to share them around. If we had every Tom, Dick and Harry applying, just because they could- I'm going to be terribly disappointed. Even if MS retrospectively asked for a fiver towards shipping or whatever- I'd bite their hand off.

The way it was dealt with- is disappointing- esp. as many people who might legitimately be interested in doing some programming for it- are ruled out.

They did ask for a use for the board- and I was honest- so I hope they do use the uses people put down as a way of culling the freetards from those of us who actually intend to do something with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

We're both in IT- and got one between us, as we thought it was only fair to share them around....

not get the gen 2 one ?
    6-pin 3.3V USB TTL UART header replaces 3.5mm jack RS-232 console port for Linux debug.
    New 6-pin connector mates with standard FTDI* USB serial cable (TTL-232R-3V3) and popular USB-to-Serial breakout boards.
    12 GPIOs now fully native for greater speed and improved drive strength.
    12-bit pulse-width modulation (PWM) for more precise control of servos and smoother response.
    Console UART1 can be redirected to Arduino* headers in sketches, eliminating the need for soft-serial in many cases.
    12V Power-over-Ethernet (PoE) capable (PoE module installation required).
    Power regulation system changed to accept power supplies from 7V to 15V.

gctest50 wrote: »
    not get the gen 2 one ?

The major benefit from my perspective- would be the powered USB ports (and better power management)- but for a programming project- its not a necessity, those are more mobile uses.

I am looking forward to getting this- and getting down and doing some testing with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

So mine arrived yesterday. Well actually I ordered 5 of them. I've never written a line of code in my life, no interest. Put them all up on ebay and have bids already, ha! Suckers!

Only joking :) Requested one. Just got the 2 emails. Heard no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Whats a pain about an offer like this is people will have just got them cause they were free, I'd say the amount of people who will actually develop anything for them will be tiny. Which will discourage offers like this again in the future.

Putting any amount of a charge in for the board (say even €5) would have lowered demand from people not interested in developing for it massively, but would be unlikely to put people who are interested off.

This me speaking as a developer, not a mod. Of course you are allowed post deals like this, but that is just my personal opinion on them
    Yeah this is 100% correct. As someone also in the IT sector, id have liked to get one of these to try some stuff out on it, but that Hot uk deals thread about it sums it. About half the people posting that they have no idea what it is or what use it is, but ordered one because it was free.

But it was always going to happen anyway. I ordered one before this thread was started but still haven't got it in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,498 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Anyone get one yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭kellsred

quarryman wrote: »
    So mine arrived yesterday. Well actually I ordered 5 of them. I've never written a line of code in my life, no interest. Put them all up on ebay and have bids already, ha! Suckers!

Only joking :) Requested one. Just got the 2 emails. Heard no more.

A truer word was never spoken!

Anyone get one yet?

Nope.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭creambun

Just received the Galileo - Microsoft Developer Kit this morning thanks for the link. Partner is delighted has loads of ideas for it.

Not sure if am allowed to post an image but placed it on postimg:

s14.postimg.org/6w6cuv12p/P1010224.jpg

creambun wrote: »
    Just received the Galileo - Microsoft Developer Kit this morning thanks for the link. Partner is delighted has loads of ideas for it.

Not sure if am allowed to post an image but placed it on postimg:

s14.postimg.org/6w6cuv12p/P1010224.jpg

Did you get any email that the kit has been dispatched?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Wez

Great to hear creambun, hoping to find mine now soon enough! Would be handy to have while I'm away..

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭creambun

Did you get any email that the kit has been dispatched?

I got an email from customs to say there was a package there for us but needed an EORI number which basically means a vat number more info here revenue.ie/en/customs/ecustoms/eori-aeo.html

You send an email to the revenue and 3 hours later they give you a free international number which is the same as your vat number if your a company, I used my partners company!

Then received an email from the Galileo team to say it was on its way.

Finally FedEx contacted me and dropped it to the house.

Well I wonder what am I gonna provide them because I do not have a company, nor I know any people that own one. I assume EORI are issued only to companies and not individuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭calnand

You would think that they would want to display the designed in Ireland, and not cover it up with a sticker. I'm still hoping I'll get one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

I got an email from Fedex this morning. Wasn't sure what it was for, but once I read the shipping invoice I knew it was. They were just asking me about a vat number, but the person on the phone said if you don't have one, then we can just clear it under your name. So I did.

I got the tracking number as well. Should be here by Monday, but hoping Friday.

Looking forward to messing around with it. Anyone got an idea's already.

Haven't heard anything at all here yet. Still hoping!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

Nothing yet here, boooooo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 mightyz

When did you signed up for it?
    I did on 29.06.2014.. still nothing.

Advertisement