Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi TT Mpg?

Options
2»

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Jesus. wrote: »
    Surely a 1.8L isn't anything remotely near a high performance car?

Ask any insurance company...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

I suppose this is Ireland after all....

Surely a 1.8L isn't anything remotely near a high performance car?

Displacement isn't really what matters massive bhp can be achieved from a 2.0 engine for instance.

In any case anything from close to 200bhp would be starting to fall into the performance bracket (anywhere not just Ireland imo).

I'd be thinking along the lines of a Porche 911 or even an M3 moreso than an Audi TT as a performance car. You know, a V8 or a V6 rather than a 1.8L 4 banger. But maybe I'm being a bit pernickety. After all, the GT86 is a humble 2 liter and its no slouch :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Why can't the likes of a GTI,TT,S3,Type R's and M3's,911s etc all be performance cars ? One category is just higher than the other but the are all performance cars. otherwise where do you stop? Maybe the M3 or 911 isn't a performance car but a gumpert apollo or Atom is? Or maybe the aren't performance cars and the only real performance cars are race cars?

I think no matter where in the world you are,anything with 4wd and a 0-100 time of in or around 6 secs (with a map) has to be considered performance, esp when the vast majority of the driving public of any nation favour N/A small engined petrols or torquey but low bhp diesels.

• Advertisement

I'd be thinking along the lines of a Porche 911 or even an M3 moreso than an Audi TT as a performance car. You know, a V8 or a V6 rather than a 1.8L 4 banger. But maybe I'm being a bit pernickety. After all, the GT86 is a humble 2 liter and its no slouch :)

As an example a lancer evo FQ440 gets 440 bhp from a 2.0. That would worry most V6's and V8.

As tossy said it's all about category's or just different levels of performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Yet the GT86 has the same 0-60 time as a 180bhp tt, 7.6 seconds...with the 225 coming in over a second quicker. No slouch eh ;)

Capacity or displacement can have little bearing on performance, plenty of 4 bangers which are very quick, lotus exige, atom, caterham and the new alfa Romeo carbon fibre thingy.
    Sure look at the bonkers 1.5 litre f1 cars which were making 1200+ bhp from a 4 cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

My Point about asking about mpg was quite simple. Other than the the points I already made, the other question people want to know about performance cars is what happens if you are not trying to thrash it?

For example, it you have an S2000 but you don't "take advantage of VTEC" what would your real world MPG be like. Similarly, if you had something with a big/ high end turbo. What would happen if you kept it off boost?

For some high end performance cars, a question about MPG is pointless, but there is somewhere in between where you could drive it "economically" but be safe in the knowledge that if you really wanted to you could whoop anyone you wanted to.

tossy wrote: »
    I think no matter where in the world you are,anything with 4wd and a 0-100 time of in or around 6 secs (with a map) has to be considered performance, esp when the vast majority of the driving public of any nation favour N/A small engined petrols or torquey but low bhp diesels.

Not the good ol' US of A :)
    Neilw wrote: »
    Yet the GT86 has the same 0-60 time as a 180bhp tt, 7.6 seconds...with the 225 coming in over a second quicker. No slouch eh ;

I don't know mate. 7 and a half seconds to 60 doesn't really sound like a performance car to me.

Its quick though, no doubt about that.
    Neilw wrote: »
    Capacity or displacement can have little bearing on performance, plenty of 4 bangers which are very quick, lotus exige, atom, caterham and the new alfa Romeo carbon fibre thingy.Sure look at the bonkers 1.5 litre f1 cars which were making 1200+ bhp from a 4 cylinder.

That's all fair enough but we're talking about an Audi TT here, not a one-seater roofless Atom or an F1 car.

farna_boy wrote: »
    My Point about asking about mpg was quite simple. Other than the the points I already made, the other question people want to know about performance cars is what happens if you are not trying to thrash it?

For example, it you have an S2000 but you don't "take advantage of VTEC" what would your real world MPG be like. Similarly, if you had something with a big/ high end turbo. What would happen if you kept it off boost?

For some high end performance cars, a question about MPG is pointless, but there is somewhere in between where you could drive it "economically" but be safe in the knowledge that if you really wanted to you could whoop anyone you wanted to.

This is where the like of the GTD, VRs diesel etc come in. Extremely economical but plenty of power and torque on tap if you want to have some fun. If doing any sort of reasonable mileage but still want a fun car they are ideal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

The 225 with a map produces around 260 bhp. The other thing is that even if you have 500 bhp the power that can be put down at any time may still be 260 bhp say as it depends on grip too with too with traction systems kicking in. Also large v8s tend to be heavy and the handling suffers.
    Ive been in a 2006 911 and apart from making a lot more ridiculous noise it didn't seem faster to me. Obviously a better car than a TT but not by the running cost margin to me at least.
    Anyway personally if doing big miles Id buy something like a 3 series diesel coupe and remap it. That way you have a bit of style, comfort , handling , power and economy.

lomb wrote: »
    it didn't seem faster to me.

Never use your perception to judge speed as it can give a very false feeling.

Get in a big tractor and drive it fast on a narrow road, it will feel fast. Then get in a 1.3 litre fiesta and it will feel like a rocket compared to the tractor. This holds true as you go up through the performance levels of a car.

Another way is drive a road fast as the driver...the as a passenger... It's a different world!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Never use your perception to judge speed as it can give a very false feeling.

Get in a big tractor and drive it fast on a narrow road, it will feel fast. Then get in a 1.3 litre fiesta and it will feel like a rocket compared to the tractor. This holds true as you go up through the performance levels of a car.

Another way is drive a road fast as the driver...the as a passenger... It's a different world!!!

A 911 has 'only' around early 300bhp so its not substantially more powerful than a mapped 225 at 260. The on paper figures aren't much better either,about a second quicker to 60.
    Something like a TT RS Mk2 would destroy an oldish 911 or MK1 TT. 0-60 in the late 3 second range with launch control. It will be the performance bargain of the decade in a few years. It also looks like the MK2 should have to begin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭Sobanek

lomb wrote: »
    A 911 has 'only' around early 300bhp so its not substantially more powerful than a mapped 225 at 260. The on paper figures aren't much better either,about a second quicker to 60.
    Something like a TT RS Mk2 would destroy an oldish 911 or MK1 TT. 0-60 in the late 3 second range with launch control. It will be the performance bargain of the decade in a few years. It also looks like the MK2 should have to begin.

But it'll never be a 911.

There's a moment you know you want one.
    There's the moment you first own one.

From its first moment on the road over fourty years ago, the 911 has ignited the kind of passion in drivers that only a Porsche can.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

You can remap a TT, lower it, upgrade the brakes,suspension and even the Haldex control to make them a proper little weapon but even at that it wouldn't come close to any modern 911 for driver feel,handling or power.

I'm guessing the 911 you drove was the 320bhp 3.6? which weighs about 70kgs less, goes to 100kmph in around 1.5 secs quicker and has about a 30 secs better laptime around the 'ring. One is a car designed to look good with a few tasy bits fitted by Audi, the other is a sports car designed from the ground up to do one thing only, go and handle very well.

I had a nice little spin in a 3.6 997 a while ago, getting back into my remapped S3 was like stepping back in time, the 997 is the most complete car i've ever driven.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,334 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

tossy wrote: »
    .......the 997 is the most complete car i've ever driven.

don't be saying things like that. I've been keeping an eye on 997 prices. They are reasonable now. You will have me tempted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭C0N0R

For what its worth, I've a 180bhp mark 4 gti and according to the trip computer over 40mpg can be achieved but this would be with conservative driving. Havent done a tank to tank check yet though.

Never use your perception to judge speed as it can give a very false feeling. Get in a big tractor and drive it fast on a narrow road, it will feel fast. Then get in a 1.3 litre fiesta and it will feel like a rocket compared to the tractor. This holds true as you go up through the performance levels of a car.

It depends. The Tractor might feel like you're going faster than you are because you're more exposed to the noise of the engine, wheels, elements etc. If you take a Go-Kart around a track, it feels like you're bombing it even though you probably don't reach 30 mph. In a Fiesta the same speed would feel very slow.

I find turbo-diesel cars feel faster than an equivalent NA high revving petrols. It feels like you're going faster because the torque pushes you back into the seat whereas with the petrol you have to wring its neck and it feels like hard work. They're both probably doing around the same speed though.

Perhaps another person might feel the opposite.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Half Rhodesian

Thanks for all the replies folks, (even the one's i didnt like reading but made sense :P)
    Yeah, it's a bit mad getting a TT if i'll be covering that distance so might just look at a diesel or something. maybe A4 or something.

TT will have to wait another while i suppose :)

Advertisement