Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi TT Mpg?

Options
  • 08-07-2014 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

hey all,

Thinking of buying one of these, always wanted one for years now and will probably be 00 - 02 year as the budget aint exactly huge.
    I will be doing a commute from clare to galway (mostly motorway), mon-fri fairly soon and im looking for any experience on the TT mpg from anyone in the know.

Ive read varying reports on 30-32mpg, which sounds pretty decent from a 1.8L, as thats what my 1.3L does at the moment. anyway.

Prob try and go for the 180bhp model too if i could. Not all that interested in putting the boot and trying to be a race car driver. i usually average 50-60 mph in my current wagon.

So basically all i want to know is do they cost a fortune to run because i aint a millionaire unfortunately or if anybody knows of any other pitfalls worth a mention then by all means let me know.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

I personally wouldn't go for the 180, try for the 225 quattro model, it will make that drive on a pissing wet day more enjoyable/fun/safe lol. I just think a fwd TT is a bit meh.. (only my opinion)

I have a 00 S3, same car underneath (as a 225 model) . Mine is remaped but never in a month of Sundays would i see 30 or over, my average is 26, on an extended motorway run i can get that up to 28/29 with cruise control.

I guess the 180 would be similar in consumption to a later MK4 GTI or a Leon Cupra consumption wise,i think >30 mpg is still being optimistic. My rule of thumb when reading accounts of peoples economy and claimed MPG is subtract 5mpg from what they say they are getting :)

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I hope you have test drove one, because if you are tall, it´s like driving in a balaclava..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,336 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I had a 2000 180 bhp quattro.
    Mpg would be 25mpg on average.
    To be honest they are not expensive to run in terms of silly repairs being needed or anything like that but
    tyre costs & fuel costs will be abit steeper than normal.
    I wouldnt fancy one for a commute tbh. The fuel costs could get silly very quickly depending on how long your commute is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    I have a 225 TT and on the motorway off boost its not too bad on juice(30mpg+). I wouldn`t bother with the 180 model as you wont really make much of a saving fuel wise.

They are comfy enough on long cruises and most of the 225 ones are pretty high spec. Mine has heated seats, dual zone climate although its missing Cruise control I am thinking of getting it retrofitted.

Would it be difficult to get the cruise control retrofitted? I have DSG octavia and would love to get cc fitted I think it would make the car tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

jca wrote: »
    Would it be difficult to get the cruise control retrofitted? I have DSG octavia and would love to get cc fitted I think it would make the car tbh.

It's a stalk and getting it activated via VCDS. I don't think the DSG would have any bearing on it.

• Advertisement

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    It`s simple enough, you just need a stalk swapped in and have it enabled in the ECU. A number of places will do it, I think George Dalton in here does them.

That would be great. I'll have a look for cc stalks on the various sites. No need for extra sensors or anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Half Rhodesian

I hope you have test drove one, because if you are tall, it´s like driving in a balaclava..!!

Yeah, im 6'4. never thought of that

Thanks for the replies lads, The mpg sounds like a bit of a balls at the moment, will have to have a think on it. 90 miles everyday/5 days a week. Food would be out the window but at least id have a lovely looking car i suppose

Thanks for the replies lads, The mpg sounds like a bit of a balls at the moment, will have to have a think on it. 90 miles everyday/5 days a week. Food would be out the window but at least id have a lovely looking car i suppose

You are looking at 25 quid min per day. If you use at all in the evening, you can say 30 quid per day petrol.
    If you are 6' 4" forget it. At 5 10, I was just right. My mate at 6' 2" could drive it but not comfortably.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Thanks for the replies lads, The mpg sounds like a bit of a balls at the moment, will have to have a think on it. 90 miles everyday/5 days a week.

Are you seriously considering this given your commute? You'll be driving approximately 20,000 miles a year which puts you firmly in derv category. Moreover, given your height you'll find a Mk1 TT very cramped. I'm 6'2 and I always found them extremely claustrophobic. Why not buy a cheap, boring diesel for the commute and save a little more for something nice for the weekends?
    Food would be out the window but at least id have a lovely looking car i suppose

I laughed out loud at that one!

• Advertisement

It's a stalk and getting it activated via VCDS. I don't think the DSG would have any bearing on it.

What I meant was, I think the cc would compliment the DSG.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

What I meant was, I think the cc would compliment the DSG.

I got that bit, I don't know if the kit of the manual and dsg is the same. I'm guessing not and if it's not if it would have a bearing on me retrofit.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

That would be great. I'll have a look for cc stalks on the various sites. No need for extra sensors or anything?

Don't. It will cost you more that way ;)

Don't. It will cost you more that way ;)

Good point George. Do you do an "all in" deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

We get the parts from Audi and supply them at more or less cost price so the supply and fit job works out cheaper than if the customer sources their own parts via the online suppliers and just pays us for labour.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I don't know about
    the coupe but in the roadster im 5 ft 7 and the seat is all the way back and would like another click and space to recline backrest more.
    Fuel wise figure 30mpg on cruise off boost more if its mapped and in boost at set speed.
    Cost wise depreciation is near zero and they are very very good cars for the money so it may be viable still for you. Its still a 50k car and in many ways nicer than say a new SLK although obviously now an older car with poorer economy.. Then again you have the Quattro system for safety and high cornering grip that's lacking on newer TTs for the most part. It would definitely get expensive on fuel on 25k miles maybe 6500 a year of the stuff vs 3500 in a diesel Passat say.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Problem solved, just get the owner to sell you this:

http://www.ttforum.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=123003&f=2

A mk1 Audi TT diesel :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

In my view anyone starting a thread about a relatively high performance car's potential mpg is looking at the wrong type of car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

In my view anyone starting a thread about a relatively high performance car's potential mpg is looking at the wrong type of car.

I really hate when people say this. Everyone should find out as much information about a car before they buy it. At the very least, it's a very good question to ask a seller to see how truthful they are being with you.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

farna_boy wrote: »
    I really hate when people say this. Everyone should find out as much information about a car before they buy it. At the very least, it's a very good question to ask a seller to see how truthful they are being with you.

On a high performance car fuel consumption shouldn't be the primary concern. It's reasonable to assume it'll be a bit higher than the norm.

Much more relevant imho is performance, handling, grip, brakes etc.

Of primary concern is "could I fit into this car?".

• Advertisement

Do not agree at all.
    It's a cheap car with relatively standard running costs due to alot of golf running gear. Fuel cost would be the major difference and certainly worth investigating before buying. The fact that it is investigated does not mean he can't afford it or is looking at the wrong car.
    It could be argued that someone looking at a porsche 911 and considering fuel economy was looking at the wrong car but a cheap TT is a different proposition.

farna_boy wrote: »

your a breath of fresh air on boards.ie, thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 3,051 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Agreed. The interior is ridiculously small and claustrophobic place to be. The exterior of the mark 1 is a piece of automotive art though.

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭KNS

Have a 225 myself. Luckily don't have much of a commute or can cycle. If I had what your talking about op I'd need to live next to a petrol station. I've cruise control on mine and it makes a difference ion motorway driving alright.

In reality it'd also be very hard to drive conservatively everyday!!

Great car. Don't know why it gets the abuse it does at times. It'll be a classic in the future with it's design. Can't bring myself to change mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

mickdw wrote: »
    Do not agree at all.
    It's a cheap car with relatively standard running costs due to alot of golf running gear.

The TT running gear has very little in common with a Golf unless your comparing it to a Golf R32 or Golf 4 Motion.

Its part of the reason a why TT weighs 250kg+ more than a Golf.

VeVeX wrote: »
    The TT running gear has very little in common with a Golf unless your comparing it to a Golf R32 or Golf 4 Motion.

Its part of the reason a why TT weighs 250kg+ more than a Golf.

I was referring to running costs and having owned one I found that most bits like brake pads and general service stuff was of the shelf in motors factors. The parts are common to other models as they certainly were not stocking bits for TT alone. That was my point. I agree that the actual running gear would only be shared with higher end Golf.

90 miles everyday/5 days a week.

You are mad doing that mileage in a petrol car never mind thinking of buying a thirsty one.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

You are mad doing that mileage in a petrol car never mind thinking of buying a thirsty one.

I'd have to agree, and to echo what Mr Ford said above.
    If you are doing high mileage and want a performance car you shouldn't be really asking about MPG, it's gonna be low!
    Fine if you have plenty of cash for fuel, but if you are on a budget then it just makes no sense unfortunately.

Plus if you are keeping an eye on the fuel gauge it will wreck your head!

Completely

It takes the joy of owning the car away, watching the gauge going down, filling it up and seeing what it costs, not driving it like you want to due to the petrol you'll be using.

I was in a (sort of) similar situation.
    The car I wanted made NO sense as a daily on a much shorter commute, so I bought a cheap small car for the weekly commute.
    Now I can drive the car I want and the small car paid for itself in a year and now is saving me a decent bit every year. So much so that I could upgrade the weekend car.

The Man Maths worked out well :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,794 ✭✭✭Jesus.

On a high performance car fuel consumption shouldn't be the primary concern

Surely a 1.8L isn't anything remotely near a high performance car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭Neilw

Jesus. wrote: »
    Surely a 1.8L isn't anything remotely near a high performance car?

Is a 180 or 225 bhp coupe a performance car? They both have 1.8 engines, plus a simple remap makes a huge difference with next to zero affect on durability or economy.

Advertisement