Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

awec wrote: »
    The Glasgow one is the same night as NZ v Georgia which won't have much impact on any crowd even if they conflicted.

The Ulster game is on the same night as the third place playoff, so you can see why they have moved it earlier.

I'd rather be at a 7:30 KO Munster V Ulster than watch the 3rd place play off. And I can guarantee you that after the match I won't be watching the play off.

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I'd rather be at a 7:30 KO Munster V Ulster than watch the 3rd place play off. And I can guarantee you that after the match I won't be watching the play off.

What if Ireland are in it? :P

awec wrote: »
    What if Ireland are in it? :P

We'll be in the final :D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Is there a World Rugby rule that pro club fixtures cannot clash with RWC matches? It would make a lot of sense from WR's POV.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Is there a World Rugby rule that pro club fixtures cannot clash with RWC matches? It would make a lot of sense from WR's POV.
    Most likely considering there is no pro games in England at all until the knock out stages of world cup are on. makes sense for WR but doesn't help provinces

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Most likely considering there is no pro games in England at all until the knock out stages of world cup are on. makes sense for WR but doesn't help provinces

Connacht actually have a game right after the Final

crazy

Shannon Airport today unveiled a statue of DOC and John Hayes lifting POC in a line out. It's based on a photo taken during the 2007 England game in Croke Park.

CKH5LxYWcAEqhNb.jpg

• Administrators Posts: 53,386 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

John Hayes looking very slender in that statue! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭jacothelad

Shannon Airport today unveiled a statue of DOC and John Hayes lifting POC in a line out. It's based on a photo taken during the 2007 England game in Croke Park.

CKH5LxYWcAEqhNb.jpg

That can't be right. Surely John lifted POC all by himself. Isn't that why he won so many caps.............:D:D:D:D:D Although that would explain why DOC is standing like a ballerina during the end of Swan Lake.

jacothelad wrote: »
    That can't be right. Surely John lifted POC all by himself. Isn't that why he won so many caps.............:D:D:D:D:D Although that would explain why DOC is standing like a ballerina during the end of Swan Lake.

Careful now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

That sculpture is entitled "The Day That Changed Ireland".

I'm just glad they didn't over-egg it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,744 ✭✭✭✭phog

Those 6o'c kick off are ****e.

Edited out the fixtures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

That sculpture is entitled "The Day That Changed Ireland".

I'm just glad they didn't over-egg it.

Just to fill you in on the thinking. I read during the week that the photo http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0717/715531-oconnell-sculpure/ from which this is taken features a lot in boardrooms and offices around the country and that is why they chose it.
    The match was memorable from a sporting and political perspective, as it was the first time Ireland played England in the famous and historic GAA grounds.
    The ban on non-GAA sports being played there over the decades has only just been lifted.
    The sculpture entitled “The day that changed Ireland” was created by Paddy Campbell, former boss of Campbell cater, is now a full time artist based in Florence in Italy.
    A sculpture marking an iconic moment in Irish sporting history unveiled at Shannon airport pic.twitter.com/KtFyzmjy2G
    — Cathy Halloran (@HalloranCathy) July 17, 2015
    It is based on a photograph taken of the moment by Irish Times photographer Cyril Byrne.
    Mr O’Connell said he was humbled but honoured by the gesture, and that the sculpture was an expert representation of a really important day in Irish sporting history.
    Shannon CEO Rose Hynes said the sculpture recalls a day which transcended history and politics and was a great victory for teamwork.

The photo shown in the RTE link is from 2009, not 2007. I assume that's just an error from RTE...

jm08 wrote: »
    Just to fill you in on the thinking.

I actually laughed at that.

Yeah, I know the thinking, it's just a load of shyte.

Just to fill you in on the thinking. I read during the week that the photo http://www.rte.ie/news/2015/0717/715531-oconnell-sculpure/ from which this is taken features a lot in boardrooms and offices around the country and that is why they chose it.

Is there also a stamp being introduced by An Post with the picture that was used for the sculpture?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'm not one for mixing sport with politics but in fairness it was a massive day. Regardless of statues and what not.

I've a feeling Paulie could well do without it, though.

From MFs

After Munster play Treviso at the end of February they play their remaining 6 pool games on Irish soil, two away v Leinster & Connacht. The other four at at home, 3 at TP and one in IIP.

Seriously, it was a big deal back in 2007. With comments like that, its right it should be commemorated.
    phog wrote: »
    Is there also a stamp being introduced by An Post with the picture that was used for the sculpture?

There is a stamp of this already:
    http://www.irishrugby.ie/mobile/news/11309.php

Closeup stamp of Paul.

http://www.irishrugby.ie/images/content/ireland/Paul-OConnell-stamp.jpg

The day that changed Irish sport maybe.

The day that changed Ireland? Nah.

• Advertisement

The day that changed Irish sport maybe.

The day that changed Ireland? Nah.

What they mean by that is that it was the public display of Ireland have gotten over its pretty bad history and inferiority complex with England and had moved on.

What they mean by that is that it was the public display of Ireland have gotten over its pretty bad history and inferiority complex with England and had moved on.

I get that. I still don't think that equates to changing Ireland. I've no problem with the sculpture mind. It's a nice tribute.

I get that. I still don't think that equates to changing Ireland. I've no problem with the sculpture mind. It's a nice tribute.

Its the realisation that changed Ireland. Up to that people were expecting riots, the English players expected God Save the Queen to be booed (like it is nearly everywhere else). It lead to a public display of friendship with England. Maybe they would have conveyed the meaning more if they did a sculpture of John Hayes and Jerry Flannery bawling their eyes out for the anthems rather than the lineout.

I never remember anything about a fear of rioting.

I get the sentiment. I just believe changed Ireland is over doing it a tad IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Back to Munster..any update on Guinazou's contract?

athtrasna wrote: »
    Back to Munster..any update on Guinazou's contract?

He's gone I thought. He's not on the squad page and with Sherry nearing a return he's no longer needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

He's gone I thought. He's not on the squad page and with Sherry nearing a return he's no longer needed.

I thought we were still down a hooker. Obviously great news about Sherry but hope we have adequate cover...our pack used to be a stronghold but with injuries and departures I'm a little concerned about the season ahead.

Seriously, it was a big deal back in 2007. With comments like that, its right it should be commemorated.

You're a gas woman. Having watched the match from the upper Hogan, I can indeed confirm it was a big deal. I'm delighted it's been commemorated.

It did not, however, change Ireland, not in the slightest. The historic day was when the GAA voted to let rugby and soccer in. All Ireland rugby did was turn up and play a match.

Also, this doesn't belong in the Munster thread.

I never remember anything about a fear of rioting.

I get the sentiment. I just believe changed Ireland is over doing it a tad IMO.

They were expecting trouble and there wasn't a peep from anyone.

I've never seen John Hayes crying before in his 100+ Ireland caps. Or Jerry Flannery? Ireland have played England on many occasions over the years. Why do you think they were displaying so much emotion before this game?

How would you title the sculpture?

• Advertisement

You're a gas woman. Having watched the match from the upper Hogan, I can indeed confirm it was a big deal. I'm delighted it's been commemorated.

It did not, however, change Ireland, not in the slightest. The historic day was when the GAA voted to let rugby and soccer in.

Also, this doesn't belong in the Munster thread.

It belongs as much as you do in this thread :pac:

edit: and why wasn't there such a big deal about France playing in Croke Park 2 weeks earlier. It was always a big deal about England playing in Croke Park because of the events of Bloody Sunday and how Hill 16 came to be.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement