Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wedding planning rant!!

Options
  • 04-07-2014 6:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Is it the norm or does your wedding planner/events organiser only work Monday to Friday 9 to 5?? I'm getting really frustrated with mine, been trying to meet up with her the last few weekends but she always had an excuse. Today is the first time she said, well emailed, to say can we come down some evening as she doesn't work weekends and she would stay late one evening! This really doesn't suit as we have 3 children and my partner works till 6 and doesn't get home till sometimes 7. It's an hours drive away. I really like the venue so I don't want to fall out before we even meet!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You'll need to work really closely with your wedding coordinator, so make sure you get on with her!

It came down to coordinators for us, choosing between two venues. One was really, really slow at replying to emails (several days) and when we met, talked a mile a minute about her health issues. The other was a consummate professional, and so nice and friendly. I just knew I'd be able to work with her better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Why would you fall out with her?!
    She may have the same family set up as you.
    She has compromised and is willing to work late to suit you. You will have to compromise too.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Addle wrote: »
    Why would you fall out with her?!
    She may have the same family set up as you.
    She has compromised and is willing to work late to suit you. You will have to compromise too.

I think people in that line of work should be flexible and work at least one weekend a month if not more. And I definitely will not be comprising anything. A lot of money is being spent, weddings are not cheap.

do you really even need a planner / organiser? if as you say "a lot of money is being spent" and "weddings are not cheap" why do you need to spend more money on hiring someone to do a job that you can pretty much do yourself for free.
    I think you are coming across as a bit spoiled to be honest, as a previous poster stated, maybe she has the same constraints on her time as you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Is this a hotel planner? What do you need to meet them to discuss? I think we met ours twice, once to book and a second time to confirm all the details. I emailed our menu choice after a tasting and about arrangements for the ceremony, drinks reception, drink as we supplied wine and logistics for the band. I figured they do events several times a week so were well used to what's necessary for things to run smoothly.

• Advertisement

do you really even need a planner / organiser? if as you say "a lot of money is being spent" and "weddings are not cheap" why do you need to spend more money on hiring someone to do a job that you can pretty much do yourself for free.
    I think you are coming across as a bit spoiled to be honest, as a previous poster stated, maybe she has the same constraints on her time as you do.

I didn't hire anyone! She works in the hotel. She is the main person looking after every wedding booked in that particular venue!! It's a service that they (most hotels) are advertising/providing at the end of the day like every other wedding so if people are "constrained" in this sort of work environment them maybe they are in the wrong line of work.

Look anyway my original question to anyone who is in the process of planning their wedding, is your venue contact person only available Mon to Fri as I don't know if I should bring this up when we do meet as I said i don't want to start of on the wrong foot. Thanks..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Is the excuse that there is a wedding on? Because an awful lot of weddings are weekends.

If she doesn't work weekends, and your wedding is on a weekend.... How does that work? The coordinator would usually be there to oversee things.

lazygal wrote: »
    Is this a hotel planner? What do you need to meet them to discuss? I think we met ours twice, once to book and a second time to confirm all the details. I emailed our menu choice after a tasting and about arrangements for the ceremony, drinks reception, drink as we supplied wine and logistics for the band. I figured they do events several times a week so were well used to what's necessary for things

Yeah it is the hotel.. I'm trying to meet up with her just to pay the deposit. Feel like it's not real till then! When we provisionally booked it was with the overall manager so it's just been contact through emails since. As I'm sure like a lot of people getting married I'm quiet a novice at it and only plan to do it once, so wasn't sure how many times we would need to meet her and was getting frustrated thinking we would have to be taking time of work and arranging baby sitters. At this stage just the one meeting would do then everything can be done through phone/email 😊 thanks for that info.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

We met ours at weekends. But his brother's wedding happened to be on the same day as ours so his deputy covered our day. I found email better than face to face for negotiations and confirming everything as I had a written record of what was agreed.

pwurple wrote: »
    Is the excuse that there is a wedding on? Because an awful lot of weddings are weekends.

If she doesn't work weekends, and your wedding is on a weekend.... How does that work? The coordinator would usually be there to oversee things.

No pwurple, she was away last weekend and has a family thing this weekend! And yes my wedding is on a Saturday 😯 surely she would have to be there, surely!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

I met our co-ordinator only twice. Hell of a lot of e-mails though as I was organising from London. And OP - you'll find most co-ordinators aren't available at weekends, especially at this time of year. Guess why?

Can your partner not get an afternoon off to meet with her? That's what we had to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Do you actually need to meet her to pay the deposit? We just gave ours to reception and they gave us a receipt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Our (amazing) co-ordinator left for pastures new a few months ago... I was devastated and still am. One of the reasons we booked with our venue was because of her. She was in weekly contact. We've heard form our new one twice. And both times they've been automated emails from Moposa :(

Really starting to doubt that our wedding will be perfect, I had no doubts about it with the other co-ordinator!

bee06 wrote: »
    Do you actually need to meet her to pay the deposit? We just gave ours to reception and they gave us a receipt.

I don't really know to be honest! It was her that asked me to go down and last week's email she told me to pick a day that suited me and my partner and she would pop by, so I just presumed I would have to meet with her.

January wrote: »
    Our (amazing) co-ordinator left for pastures new a few months ago... I was devastated and still am. One of the reasons we booked with our venue was because of her. She was in weekly contact. We've heard form our new one twice. And both times they've been automated emails from Moposa :(

Really starting to doubt that our wedding will be perfect, I had no doubts about it with the other co-ordinator!

Oh no! But yes one of the reasons I picked this venue was the overall manager that we met on the first day, a lovely man and even gave us our dinner on the house when he noticed we stayed on to have something to eat! I kinda wanted to meet this girl face to face, just to see if we gel. Suppose the down side of that is, what if we don't! I hope you get some sort of breakthrough with the new coordinator, I'm sure your big day will be perfect. Congrats!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Frigga_92

January wrote: »

Your wedding will be perfect because it'll be the day you get married.

The wedding planner that worked at our venue did very little, it was impossible to get in contact with her and she was invisible the day of the wedding and afterwards when we had a few complaints. I complained about her and was told she wasn't actually the wedding planner someone else was and that my belief that she was the wedding planner is what lead to problems :rolleyes:
    Needless to say I haven't recommended the venue to anybody.
    We had a small very chilled out wedding so I can't imagine what having problems with a wedding planner would be like if you were planning a big occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭Gatica

That sounds really unaccommodating of the wedding coordinator. We saw a dozen venues and it was all either on a Saturday or Sunday. Every one of the coordinators that we made appointments with was available to meet us on those days.
    We met our coordinator on a Saturday and the manager was there too. We asked a few final question and haggled, and then got the contracts, read them over and paid the deposit. I would not have gone midweek to do that.
    It's the nature of their job, with most weddings being on a weekend. If they can't even do that for customers that are trying to give them money, I honestly wouldn't have a very high opinion of the coordinator, manager or Hotel/venue. The rest of our communications were over email and that was fine.

Yes it is a weekend kinda job alright. And I wanted to meet to haggle as well. Maybe i'l ring and see if there is somebody else to deal with. As a previous poster said, she only found out after the wedding the person she thought was the coordinator actually wasn't!

If it's a weekend job, and you think coordinators should be available to you at the weekends, would you mind if your coordinator wasn't available on to you on your wedding day because they were meeting with another couple?

If it's a weekend job, and you think coordinators should be available to you at the weekends, would you mind if your coordinator wasn't available on to you on your wedding day because they were meeting with another couple?

Do you think every hotel on every weekend has a wedding!!

• Advertisement

amor3 wrote: »
    Do you think every hotel on every weekend has a wedding!!

No. So I think 'co-ordinators' are entitled to weekends off when they can have them.

No. So I think 'co-ordinators' are entitled to weekends off when they can have them.

Exactly "when" not every.

OP - You seem to be getting steamed up over something that could be resolved very easily. If the act of booking a venue has you upset this early in the process, then by the time you marry, you'll be heading for a nervous breakdown!

I suggested earlier that your partner could perhaps get a couple of hours or an afternoon off to visit and book. Did you try that? Someone else also suggested giving the deposit to Reception if the coordinator isn't available and getting a receipt. Did you try that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

I'd be very pee'd off actually because it would mean the wedding co-ordinator was showing some stranger around my wedding reception. If it were happening I'd expect the wedding co-ordinator to meet with the couple before my guests started arriving at the venue. There'd be no problem with that and it's actually what I did with my wedding co-ordinator so that we could see the venue dressed for a wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭lulu1

Stupid question but what dose this wedding planner actually do. Do they take care of all the arrangments hotel cake flowers wedding cars ect, and how much would they charge?

I've worked in Events. And I've run a lot of weddings in the course of my work. There has to be a bit of give and take on both sides I think. I organised my wedding from the UK, whilst helping to organise and run other weddings and events. Of course, my coordinator wasn't always available if I needed to speak to her, and she wasn't available when I flew in to finalise things. No problem. She had left precise instructions with her deputy and the Duty Manager assigned to run the day as she wasn't available. I met with them before the wedding and felt perfectly comfortable with both. The only thing I asked for was someone to run the day for me. I didn't want to be looking around for help if I needed it. The venue provided it in spades. The service was superb, and could not be faulted. THAT'S what the OP should be focusing on

IMO, the OP SHOULD meet with the coordinator to see if she'd be happy with the services provided and needs to feel confident the venue can deliver the day she wants. But to make such a fuss because the coordinator isn't available when SHE wants her to be is way over the top!

lulu1 wrote: »
    Stupid question but what dose this wedding planner actually do. Do they take care of all the arrangments hotel cake flowers wedding cars ect, and how much would they charge?

Yes, they do. The charge will be included in the cost of the venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Yes, they do. The charge will be included in the cost of the venue.

Surely that's only if you are taking the hotels package. If you aren't then flowers, cars, photographer are organised by you. Hotel planner just deals with the hotel.

Dovies wrote: »
    Surely that's only if you are taking the hotels package. If you aren't then flowers, cars, photographer are organised by you. Hotel planner just deals with the hotel.

No. Read my post again. The charge is included in the cost of hiring the venue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

lulu1 wrote: »

The hotel wedding planner is in charge on the day and makes sure your instructions are followed. So they would make sure any welcome drinks are served, show the band or dj where to set up. Show the cake delivery where to go. Make sure if you wanted your wedding cake served as dessert, that it actually happens. Keep and eye out for things like a table not getting any food yet, or starting to look disgruntled. Show the florist where the tables are going... Let the couple know if they are running out of white wine, and they need to switch to hotel wine instead of the stuff they brought. Etc, etc, etc.

Most wedding coordinators meet couples the mornings of other weddings, so they can see the set up.

Advertisement