Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Launch of new Cork Public Bikes Scheme

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Subpopulus

Yes, but it hasn't been launched. They just turned on the terminals. Politicans gotta have their day in the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

I must say that I'm impressed with the "Fit & Finish" of the completed bike stand on Patrick Street. The paving blocks have been replaced properly with none of the bodge jobs of an acre of cement or lumpy tarmac you usually get.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭moyners

I must say that I'm impressed with the "Fit & Finish" of the completed bike stand on Patrick Street. The paving blocks have been replaced properly with none of the bodge jobs of an acre of cement or lumpy tarmac you usually get.

+1 I was delighted they did a proper job by Electric too - as you say I was expecting them to fill in the gaps with tarmac like they usually do!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,074 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Took a spin out to UCC on one of the bikes earlier. Saw about 5 or 6 others using them which was great. What wasn't so great was that of the people using the bikes I was the only one who obeyed the traffic lights. Each one of the others that I saw broke red lights on Washington St/Western Rd - every single one of them. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Took a spin out to UCC on one of the bikes earlier. Saw about 5 or 6 others using them which was great. What wasn't so great was that of the people using the bikes I was the only one who obeyed the traffic lights. Each one of the others that I saw broke red lights on Washington St/Western Rd - every single one of them. :(

It's incredibly annoying. I use the bikes 6/7 times a week traveling to UCC from Washington Street and I feel like I'm the only dope obeying the traffic lights too. Don't get me started on the people dying on the footpath!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

It's incredibly annoying. I use the bikes 6/7 times a week traveling to UCC from Washington Street and I feel like I'm the only dope obeying the traffic lights too. Don't get me started on the people dying on the footpath!

:eek: Has it gotten that bad already ???? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭Jentle Grenade

Ludo wrote: »
    :eek: Has it gotten that bad already ???? :eek:

Haha! Cycling* :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Haha! Cycling* :o

I think the only way the message will get through to these ignorant people who cycle on footpaths is if everyone actually tells the person what they are doing is illegal and downright dangerous. If there is a sense of public intolerance to this then the cyclists will stop doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

I think the only way the message will get through to these ignorant people who cycle on footpaths is if everyone actually tells the person what they are doing is illegal and downright dangerous. If there is a sense of public intolerance to this then the cyclists will stop doing it.

For balance, I was cycling on Western Road during the week and got shouted at by someone in a car to get on the footpath :o

As always, it was only afterwards that I thought of an adequately witty response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

Do you mean breaking a red when the pedestrian crossing light is green but the traffic lights are red? I don't cycle at all but is it really such a bad thing to do? Most european countries allow cyclists to cross at pedestrian crossings, as long as you slow down, give way to pedestrians and do it carefully then I don't really have a problem with it.

Cycling on the footpath is stupid though, also wearing earphones/headphones while cycling should be against the law (is it already?).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

kaki wrote: »
    As always, it was only afterwards that I thought of an adequately witty response.
    Go on...

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

TheChizler wrote: »
    Go on...

... So's your face?

Back to Cork Public Bikes scheme, I actually think a user guide would be of benefit - a lot of users seem to have little to no experience of road cycling - and possibly a large proportion aren't even road users - which makes a big difference to hazard perception etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

The app could push out videos - would certainly benefit visitors to the city using the 3 day pass

Something simple like showing something with a green tick on the top of the screen i.e. stopping at red lights, red tick showing somebody mounting a footpath or going through a red light. Simples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

D'Agger wrote: »
    The app could push out videos - would certainly benefit visitors to the city using the 3 day pass

Something simple like showing something with a green tick on the top of the screen i.e. stopping at red lights, red tick showing somebody mounting a footpath or going through a red light. Simples.

Go idea. Add cycling the wrong way down one-way streets and cycling while on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I've had a few near misses travelling on Washington St/Western Road on the cycle path. Cars are used to looking left as they come onto Washington St because it used to be one way only (still is for cars) - they don't expect a bike to be coming from their right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭opus

Subpopulus wrote: »
    Word on the street is that the scheme is to be officially launched on Monday 2nd March in Cork City hall by Minister Simon Coveney. So everything should be up and running by the end of this week.

You were spot on there!

2,5000 SADDLE UP FOR NEW CORK BIKE SHARING SCHEME
    The scheme, sponsored by Coca-Cola Zero, was officially launched in City Hall today as the last of the 31 docking stations went live.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Passed the station on Pope's Quay today - it had a big sign on top saying something about today being the big launch day!

Pity the station had no bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,426 ✭✭✭TheChizler

evilivor wrote: »
    Passed the station on Pope's Quay today - it had a big sign on top saying something about today being the big launch day!

Interesting marketing they had earlier in the day!

https://www.facebook.com/CorkChoralFestival/photos/pcb.10153135419356661/10153135418071661/?type=1&theater

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭scuby

have used them a good few times in last week, nu complaints.

As more stations come on line it will take them a few weeks to establish which routes need replenishing more often

I passed the station on Popes Quay and the terminal had a big red bow on it like a Christmas present. Nice touch.

However, it also had bikes at it, unlike any Christmas I ever experienced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭Worztron

Saw the bikes being unloaded from a truck today on the Lapps Quay bike station.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

evilivor wrote: »

I passed it last night and the bikes were there.

Subpopulus wrote: »
    I passed the station on Popes Quay and the terminal had a big red bow on it like a Christmas present. Nice touch.

However, it also had bikes at it, unlike any Christmas I ever experienced.

The station outside Merchant's Quay had a bow as well. There were potted plants, daffodils I think, in each of the bikes front carrier.

Took a bike from the station on the South Mall today, handle bars were very loose. Put it straight back and took another. Hope they have a decent maintenance contract set up with these.

On another note anyone notice the amount of people who stare when you're on one of the bikes....have they never seen a bike or what?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭thomil

Have you reported that issue? You can do that both via the app and after logging in on their website, for up to ten hours after the trip, as far as I know. Had an issue with a bike where the saddle wouldn't remain at the height you set it up to, because the lock/fix was rusty. They do seem to be taking care of the bikes though, that was the only issue I had.

As far as the staring is, the system is still pretty new, so many people will probably only have heard about it in the papers or on TV. I stare as well, or more precisely look out for people riding them, to judge how the acceptance is. At least the "interview phase" seems to have ended. For the first few weeks of operation, I was questioned about the bikes by so many people that I almost felt like I was a minor celebrity for using the system.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭ofcork

Passed a truck today with bikes on the back around 4 in Washington street.

thomil wrote: »
    Have you reported that issue? You can do that both via the app and after logging in on their website, for up to ten hours after the trip, as far as I know. Had an issue with a bike where the saddle wouldn't remain at the height you set it up to, because the lock/fix was rusty. They do seem to be taking care of the bikes though, that was the only issue I had.

As far as the staring is, the system is still pretty new, so many people will probably only have heard about it in the papers or on TV. I stare as well, or more precisely look out for people riding them, to judge how the acceptance is. At least the "interview phase" seems to have ended. For the first few weeks of operation, I was questioned about the bikes by so many people that I almost felt like I was a minor celebrity for using the system.

There was a facility at the station to record a problem. When I went to get the second bike I was faced with a question asking the lines of, your last journey was very short...was there a problem with the bike? Yes or No.

Just so ye know, if there's a bike with a fault, when you put it back, twist the seat post around so it's facing the wrong way. This is an informal system to let other users know that the bike is a bit dodgy. It's used on a few other bike sharing systems.

I passed the stand on Washington Street the other morning and there was one of the trucks delivering bikes parked up. The driver was examining the bikes and checking them for faults. He seemed to be taking away one that he wasn't happy with as he was checking the pedals on it before he took it away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I've had a bit more spare time on my hands recently (medical issues) so I've decided to do a photo documentary on the bike share scheme. So far I've been out twice, once at night and once during the day and visited a few of the stations. There was one person being "interviewed" as you put it so I told her what I was doing and asked if she minded if I took her photo as she cycled off, she didn't have a problem with it and I snapped away. As she doubled back the other way she gave me a wave. :)

I'm not allowed exercise/get my heart rate up for another few weeks, but I plan on making use of these once I can now that all the stations have opened. I've been on the look out for people using them and there definitely seems to be a few people utilising them, which is great.

Advertisement