Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Launch of new Cork Public Bikes Scheme

Options
  • 03-07-2014 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭

Haven't seen any details on pricing yet but it looks like the city centre is going to be pretty well served with bikes come September.

The first viewing of the new, specially-designed bike for the regional cities’ Coca-Cola Zero Bikes scheme took place in Cork’s City Hall yesterday morning, where Minister Alan Kelly TD and the National Transport Authority were joined by the Lord Mayor of Cork, scheme sponsors Coca-Cola Zero and operators An Rothar Nua.

Featuring a distinctive black design with bright red accents, the new bikes will soon be a striking presence on the streets of Cork, Limerick and Galway, when the three public bikes schemes launch to the public in the autumn.
    And uniquely amongst bike schemes world-wide, these bikes have built-in gear-shifting technology, enabling automatic gear-changes which will contribute towards easier and safer cycling for users.

Cork will have 320 bikes, 31 bike stations and 635 bike stands

Cork 2-01 College Road: Gaol Walk - 20 Docks
    Cork 2-02 Mardyke Walk: Fitzgerald's Park - 15 Docks
    Cork 2-03 Dyke Parade - 40 Docks
    Cork 2-04 Mardyke Walk: St. Joseph's School - 20 Docks
    Cork 2-05 Henry Street: Mercy Hospital - 15 Docks
    Cork 2-06 Lancaster Quay - 20 Docks
    Cork 2-07 Griffith Bridge - 20 Docks
    Cork 2-08 North Main Street - 15 Docks
    Cork 2-09 Grattan Street: Court House - 15 Docks
    Cork 2-10 Wandesford Quay: Wandesford Street - 30 Docks
    Cork 2-11 Bishop Street - 20 Docks
    Cork 2-12 Popes Quay: St. Mary's Cathedral - 20 Docks
    Cork 2-14 Corn Market Street - 20 Docks
    Cork 2-15 St Patricks Street - 20 Docks
    Cork 2-16 South Main Street: Bishop Lucey Park - 10 Docks
    Cork 2-17 Grand Parade: City Library - 20 Docks
    Cork 2-18 South Mall: Grand Parade - 20 Docks
    Cork 2-19 Sullivan's Quay: Griffith College - 20 Docks
    Cork 2-20 Coburg Street: Bridge Street - 30 Docks
    Cork 2-21 Emmet Place: Crawford Street - 15 Docks
    Cork 2-22 South Mall - 30 Docks
    Cork 2-23 Fr. Mathew Quay: College of Commerce - 30 Docks
    Cork 2-24 St Patricks Street: Merchants Quay - 15 Docks
    Cork 2-25 Union Quay: CIT Cork School of Music - 15 Docks
    Cork 2-26 St Patricks Quay - 10 Docks
    Cork 2-27 Parnell Place: Bus Station - 40 Docks
    Cork 2-28 Lapp's Quay: Parnell Bridge - 30 Docks
    Cork 2-29 Anglesea Street: City Hall - 15 Docks
    Cork 2-30 Lower Glanmire Road: - 30 Docks
    Cork 2-31 Custom House Quay: Custom House - 10 Docks
    Cork 2-32 Lower Glanmire: Road Kent Station - 25 Docks

http://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Design_reveal_-_Coca_Cola_Zero_Bikes_regional_cities.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

a great initiative, lets hope it works well here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

a great initiative, lets hope it works well here.

Yes, hope so. The bikes look okay too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

I think it is a pity they've only put stands in the city centre. It would have made a nice alternative to buses if you were travelling to places a little bit further out, like Blackpool or Douglas. Hopefully it will expand a bit over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭thomil

As far as I know, it is just supposed to be the core of a larger network of stations. I'm pretty confident that, once the system has been up and running for a bit, it will be expanded. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this system in operation, and I'll be sure to use it. I only hope they don't overdo it on the pricing.

Good luck trying to figure me out. I haven't managed that myself yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

my bet it cost fortune, and wont last two month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭Red Nissan

flintash wrote: »

Sure won't it be tax payers guaranteed? I see a lot of them paving the bottom of the river. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Red Nissan wrote: »
    Sure won't it be tax payers guaranteed? I see a lot of them paving the bottom of the river. :p

Isn't it great to see that Cork positivity alive and well!

Why Cork might not get off its knees and become a modern, vibrant, dynamic city with less traffic congestion and less social problems ?

Because it's full of negative, self serving whingebags!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,689 ✭✭✭Karl Stein

That's the spirit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Interesting. So what's the craic, you sign up for it somewhere? You take bike from one slot and park it at another? Or,, could you say.... Take a bike home after a night out in town and bring it back in the morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭flintash

jeez! im not a whingebag !! just saying... from experience...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Would there be any chance of these bikes coming to the suburbs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

pwurple wrote: »
    Interesting. So what's the craic, you sign up for it somewhere? You take bike from one slot and park it at another? Or,, could you say.... Take a bike home after a night out in town and bring it back in the morning?

I'd say it will be pretty similar to the Dublin one

copied from their site:
    SUBSCRIPTION FEES
    Annual Card €20
    3 day ticket €5

A guarantee of €150 is required

BIKE HIRE FEES
    First ½ Hour : free
    1 hour : €0.50
    2 hours : €1.50
    3 hours : €3.50
    4 hours : €6.50
    Every extra ½ Hour : €2

Sounds similar to car rental regarding the security deposit I've in bold.

There's another FAQ link from the Dublin site that handles some of the practicality questions
    http://www.dublinbikes.ie/How-does-it-work/Frequently-Asked-Questions/Stations-and-bikes#faq0

So you could take the bike home, but it would cost quite a bit if you did compared to the normal pricing structure.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

pwurple wrote: »

I love your thinking :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

This is great. I commute and cycle for leisure, but I treat my bike like a dog; I never leave it locked up outside on its own :pac: so I would definitely use this scheme. A map would be nice though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Thanks Flesh.... Yeah, sounds like it won't suit the post-pub crowd so. Nice to see points at the bus and train station though, those two badly needed to be linked together.

Hopefully it will work well and be expanded into more of the city. There are plenty of people around Cork who could freewheel into the city center, and then bus it home uphill. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

It's paid for by the advertising company.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Sounds great. I'd say commuter areas will get stations as the cycle network continues to be worked on and pending the success of this initial outlay.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was sceptical when this launched in Dublin, I thought the bikes would get fecked, vandalised etc. But that has turned out to be completely wrong. The scheme is mainly in the city centre between the canals, but it's constantly expanding.

Great to see it opening in Cork now. Looking at the station listing, it seems quite high density. I wonder if they'll set it up so my DublinBikes card will also work here?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I think it's time to update openstreetmap.org with bike paths and bike rental stations...

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭LeNNoX

I hope the whole thing (each county) is all part of the one payment scheme and that my Dublin Bikes card will work in Cork? It would be a shame if its separate cards for each county.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Pitcairn

LeNNoX wrote: »
    I hope the whole thing (each county) is all part of the one payment scheme and that my Dublin Bikes card will work in Cork? It would be a shame if its separate cards for each county.

I think the ultimate aim is that the Leap card system will work for all the bike schemes but initially I'd say the Cork one won't be connected with the Dublin one.

Pitcairn wrote: »
    I think the ultimate aim is that the Leap card system will work for all the bike schemes but initially I'd say the Cork one won't be connected with the Dublin one.

It'd be a hell of a cycle anyway on one of those bikes :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

Looks like a nice setup. One question though. What if you get to a station and there isn't space to park your bike ?

Looks like a nice setup. One question though. What if you get to a station and there isn't space to park your bike ?

They'' give you the location of the nearest docking station with an empty lock and add 15 minutes to your free-time period.

Pitcairn wrote: »
    They'' give you the location of the nearest docking station with an empty lock and add 15 minutes to your free-time period.

One would hope they would adapt quickly to the needs (supply and demand) but the initial layout looks quite good. Looking forward to this. It'll be nice to be able to cycle down to Fitzgerald's park from town on a sunny day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

You can usually also lookup online how many bikes and spaces a station currently has before you head to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭HurtLocker

Why not have a station at CIT. The mind boggles.

HurtLocker wrote: »
    Why not have a station at CIT. The mind boggles.

It was probably just too far out for this initial rollout. That's a long way away from the city center to have docking station. What happens if there are no spaces left there? You'd have to have more stations nearby that customers could use or else they face having to cycle back towards town.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

According to Alan Kelly, the work is starting this week! Anyone notice it around town?

• Advertisement

I saw a roadworks notice that work is starting near Gaol Cross today to install the electric lines that will serve the docking stations.

I think they will spend the next few weeks doing that type of work before later installing the actual docking stations.

http://www.theaa.ie/AA/AA-Roadwatch/Story.aspx?id=57392

Advertisement