Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space engineers Canteen. Happy hour every hour!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

So, Bunch of us had a craving for some engineering, so we rented out our own server and started off our operation on survival mode. :D

We already got few mining ships.

Currently work goes on 2 small fighter ships and Big mining ship.

2015-02-02_00003_zps502bafa9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Aww man every time i see this thread updated i always feel i havent put in enough time with this game:o

EoinHef wrote: »
    Aww man every time i see this thread updated i always feel i havent put in enough time with this game:o

It is stupidly fun, but it is REALLY fun when you play with others though. Theres 4-5 of us on server and its great. Had some really good laughs and seeing others building stuff on the fly gives you ideas too.

Server was cheap too. only like 18£ for 3 months.

Well, I have to get up to Work in 3h... Feck you Space Engineers! :pac:

So heres what what we did today:

I did the base for my Rocket assault ship. It needs polishing and some finishing touches. More Rocket Launchers as it was just a Test now. :)
    2015-02-03_00002_zps8913bea8.jpg

A few ships that lads working on:
    2015-02-03_00003_zps5bf308eb.jpg

2015-02-03_00004_zpsba6a6fd2.jpg

2015-02-03_00005_zps3466c214.jpg

And just a shot of our platform. We play survival mode. It is a lot more satisfying to build your own ships from materials you collect yourself. :D

2015-02-03_00006_zpsc80338b5.jpg

Now I better go to bed, 10h shift tomorrow lol.

Got cought with 13h shift at work and had only very little time to play away.

Well, I improved my ship by smoothing some edges, Tiny bit of paint job and fully functional 10 rocket launcher setup. Its fabulous!!! :D

2015-02-03_00011_zpsbf18925f.jpg

So work lads did on their own ships and our Red Dwarf! :D

2015-02-03_00010_zps1bbf2f9a.jpg

2015-02-03_00007_zpsf1518eae.jpg

2015-02-03_00008_zps449ed1b7.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

How do you start off in the game? With literally nothing? Curious about this game now. Thanks for posting all the updates!

The only sandbox game of this sort I've played before is Minecraft, I did get about 40 hours out of it, which was good value for me, but I sort of got bored after that. How does this compare?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

How do you start off in the game? With literally nothing? Curious about this game now. Thanks for posting all the updates!

The only sandbox game of this sort I've played before is Minecraft, I did get about 40 hours out of it, which was good value for me, but I sort of got bored after that. How does this compare?

I echo this :)

Well, it is a sandbox at its best, but like any sandbox game - if you can't find your own entertainment, then you will get bored. Simple as that.

There are a few ways to play. Like minecraft, you can do survival mode and you can do creative.
    I personally love survival modes, because everything is more dear to you, when you actually work your arse off to collect resources for that ship or structure etc.

Like we had to do some infrastructure on our platform. Dedicated ships for mining, welding and dismantling were built ASAP. Then fighters came in. Our next project going to be a carrier for our fighters so we can attack stronger npc ships. :)

So I had a chance to play a bit more today.

Lads got a blueprint online for a small carrier And built it. We got a few blueprints for small cheap fighters, so we can use them as disposable fire power when we dont want to risk our main ships.
    I have a Rocket boat, but it is too much fire power, I just destroy stuff with nothing to be salvaged. So I built myself another ship with just guns. I wanted it to be a lot more nippy then rocket boat though, so A LOT more thrusters!

We actually attacked another ship as a group, its a an easy target, but was fun to take our ships for a spin. :D

2015-02-08_00001_zps3bd05f02.jpg

2015-02-09_00002_zpsfebaab73.jpg

2015-02-08_00004_zpsfbdb5254.jpg

2015-02-08_00002_zps85b3cff9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Back playing this from scratch as of yesterday. Had set up a small refinery base but couldn't get my reactor to automatically suck in uranium ingots. Need to check my conveyor system to figure out what I'm doing wrong :P

Once I have this up and running I'll try put a small mining ship together. Will post pics when I actually have something decent to show :D

Forgot how fun it is as some other game distractedme last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

Have this in my account, must give it a go, is it hard to get into?

Have this in my account, must give it a go, is it hard to get into?

The start is very confusing but stick with it. Watch the few tutorial videos on youtube as they help a lot. Without them I probably would have walked away and never came back. :P

Noxin wrote: »
    The start is very confusing but stick with it. Watch the few tutorial videos on youtube as they help a lot. Without them I probably would have walked away and never came back. :P

That's what happened the last time. I found it too confusing and gave up. But I shall persivere!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

yea the initial learning curve makes or breaks it - once you've gotten an hour or two in, you should be golden :)

Use the mining tip about your grav generator from Shadow on the previous page. It's a real life saver. Chasing ore all over the place is very annoying but this stops it.

After that for me to get the basics I just mined some uranium to begin so I had enough power in my ship. Then grabbed iron and learned the basics of building base. Once you have this down, it's just up to your imagination. Do whatever the heck you like. Pick a part in the assembler and it'll automatically select the needed goods and show you what ore is missing. Delve into the asteroid and see what you can find :)

Nice one m8, just a pro tip: build yourself a small welding ship to work on tue platforms like that. You will go mental if you will need to do it by hand lol. Been there, don't that.

Good idea mate cheers. I do plan on a number of oversized platforms and yes, doing it by hand was a tad annoying. Small ship to do it for me would be very handy indeed.
    I've not built a ship yet but it is my next venture once I finish the refinery. I expect a lot of crashing or just not moving for a few trials :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Bit off topic but thought would be of interest to people here.
    Medieval Engineers based off the same engine as Space Engineers by same people but you build castles and trebuchets.

There is a 1 day pre-launch window too it is starting tomorrow details here.

Still a lot to be implemented I think but still looks like lot of fun.

Just reinstalled this, will give it a go tonight, shall report back

• Advertisement

Few new screens to add:

Finally got around to getting my refinery / assembly line up and running (changed from the original layout:
    2015-02-12-22-30-58-372_FinalScreen_zpszeyfqldl.png

First ship build. It's a miner and probably the ugliest thing I've ever seen. Handles well though. Used a guide to get this up and running:
    2015-02-12-22-32-20-023_FinalScreen_zpsn2hpysvf.png

Dropping it's load into the refinery:
    2015-02-12-22-29-56-560_FinalScreen_zpsrp2vsvnh.png

Currently working on a small welding ship from scratch with no guides.

Addiction to this game is gone ridiculous at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

This is free on steam this weekend.

Latest updates seem to have destroyed my save. Game is much more laggy or choppy.
    Ships are passing through my bases.
    Had to delete the save :(

Started a new world and it's still very choppy. Will have to wait on next patch and hope it fixes whatever has happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Just got this game with the Jumbo Humble Bundle. I was not expecting it to run well and it definitely barely scrapes by on my low-spec laptop, but it hasn't stopped me feeling excited about it and hopeful for future optimisations. I'm still figuring out what is going on but I made my first ship and it was very cool! Right now it's just too choppy for me to play seriously - the minimum requirements listed are too minimum. I think the performance will get much better after they are done with initial features though. Planets looking very interesting...

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/448457289853242695/DE28FFDE573D9A1C85EE587E0DF3CECB224CF151/

First ship!

There is so much potential with this game and it seems like they are working hard adding new features. Planets will be really exciting when they are included.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im letting it mature a bit before I dive in, Id love for them to add a campaign mode that requires you to build space stations, warships etc, I know you can do it in sandbox but it all feels a bit pointless there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

Opening a sandbox game to online players is a hoot... I noticed a new player joined, and suddenly I was being walled in by boxes! I quickly flew out, and somehow they managed to turn the whole base station into a moving ship, and I saw it flying away! I quickly built a ship and was on the chase, but don't know where it ended up. I soon went back to the Red Ship and was going to fly to the antenna ship, and suddenly I noticed something on the HUD, and wham, someone made some sort of rocket that ripped the hull in half. I have no idea what I am doing, 10/10 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Thargor wrote: »
    Im letting it mature a bit before I dive in, Id love for them to add a campaign mode that requires you to build space stations, warships etc, I know you can do it in sandbox but it all feels a bit pointless there.

I feel the same. I really wish these games would just get finished. I don't want to play a tech demo, however impressive the tech.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

So this game has a campaign now,very short and limited story wise,worth a play through for people who havent played the game in awhile though. Or just started it and got overwhelmed by its complexity,the campaign is a bunch of scenarios and no building/crafting required,gives you all you need so you can just play through it.

They seem to put a lot of work into this game,it also seems to have a small but dedicated community. For a game that not many people play it has a ton of mods.

I think the addition of the campaign really shows what could be done with the base game in a controlled story driven way insted of just a total sandbox,which is cool. Again this iteration of the campaign is limited but as sort of a pilot episode i think its pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,967 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

It's in Beta now, with Planets and everything. Even includes feral wolves and alien spiders to fend off in Survival mode, and the map can be procedural and infinite.

So I have been playing around with different saves and was going to give a shot to spawning in Respawn Ship 2 - a close to useless vessel that has no medical bay and no refinery, but has an assembler on board, and just enough materials aboard to build an Arc Furnace. Plus, the shape of the craft lends itself to attaching drills to the front and using it as your miner. So I created the Flea: Largely keeps the shape but beefs up the boosters, adds drills and spotlights, and an onboard, upgraded Refinery and Arc Furnace with a conveyor system which only the Reactor, Assembler, and Storage aren't tied into. The drills have plenty of space though, and this allows you to be very nomadic.

I was trying to be hardcore about it, but about 10 minutes in to the playthrough I stumbled across an abandoned space station, complete with a docked gun frigate, medbays, solar panels, and all sorts of storage of parts. So, it was a little cheaty. It allowed me to skip the part of the playthrough where I would have had to collect and store silicon and a few other ores, deconstruct my only working cockpit, and use the computer components to fire up the refinery before being able to return the ship to spaceworthiness. For now I've left the frigate and base mostly alone, just fired up the antenna and am using it as a landmark to nomad around. The station and frig are too cramped for my liking and I'd rather design something else to use.

It turns out once you get that refinery online that the Respawn Ship 2 is a serious beast, a SLOW beast, an unarmed beast, but a beast when it comes to mining its own ore and processing it on the fly. Then you can build whatever you want for it, like a dockable jump ring.

pictures would probably be handy, ill make them when i play again. I have the playthrough recorded also but idk anything about video editing per se

In an early play, I tried something similar with Respawn Ship 3 but I was having a harder time, though the RS3 has a dock connector. Anyhoodles, I built a mining ship and mined in low earth orbit. THAT WAS A MISTAKE. Well, one, not charging the battery before launching off. Second, collecting more ore than the ships engines could maintain position with, even with inertia dampening. For a little bit that was fun, because I had 4 reverse thrusters and 2 everywhere else, so I would basically "paddle" in the gravity well to get around -- until I ran out of power suddenly, and lost the whole miner to gravity. That pissed me off a bit.

• Advertisement

I haven't played it in ages, but will need to again. My friends are addicted to it. I just tried a bit a few months ago and god, how much I have forgotten. :( It will be very hard to to start it again.

Though your posts really makes me want to play it again and it looks like theu really really beefed up the game.

Advertisement