Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Space engineers Canteen. Happy hour every hour!

Options
  • 03-07-2014 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭

I bet a good few of you bought this awesomeness on Steam sale. So hows everyone getting on with it? I am loving it.
    Me and 3 other lads got a server running ( just for us ) and we decided to have some crack with survival. Its a lot of fun and it took some time for us to learn basics. We are not doing too bad now.
    It was hard to start off, but now we got some equipment and tactics.
    We Steal, and we steal a lot! :p We ninja NPC ships and then we have a Chop shop to take them apart. I actually would recommend to do this when you start off. There are some ships with no defences and when you take them apart, you will be swimming in parts.
    So one of my buddies stole a ship and converted it in to "bucket". Basicly huge ass gravity generator, 5 collectors and 4 big ass drills. Our main work horse! :D
    SpaceEngineers_2014-06-28-23-10-31-224_FinalScreen_zpsc717a581.png

We expanted our operations and got bigger fleet. Another buddy built a small mining ship for pin point mining and I made a little salvager. Little thing can take apart huge ships in minutes! :D
    SpaceEngineers_2014-06-29-00-57-28-534_FinalScreen_zps64b99a77.png

I started my own single player game too. I did went for 3x speed on assembler and refinery and Suit inventory. I can live without other bonuses, but suit space needs to be larger. Its a pain in a hole at start! I did not advanced much, but I got platform up and my mining ship done. Stealing a ship and salvaging it gave me a good start.
    Next stop - Battle ready frigate so I can attack commercial ships.
    SpaceEngineers_2014-07-03-01-45-23-810_FinalScreen_zps9e9d1c86.png

SpaceEngineers_2014-07-03-00-53-34-151_FinalScreen_zps5d5ed883.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Wossack

Ive not played it in a long time (not since very early beta) - sounds like its come on leaps and bounds!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Wossack wrote: »
    Ive not played it in a long time (not since very early beta) - sounds like its come on leaps and bounds!

Yeah, one of my buddies have not played it in few months and now as he got back in to it, it's like a new game again. Survival mode is great and I heard they got some great plans for it. They will be adding factions and more npc interactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Got it but no point playing atm, cant wait to play it when its finished but for now I dont see the point, once you have a decent ship what is there to do? Attack the same NPCs over and over? Drill the same asteroids over and over? Id love to see it done properly with some variety and objectives but for now its just a very dull game imo, although one with big potential.

Thargor wrote: »
    Got it but no point playing atm, cant wait to play it when its finished but for now I dont see the point, once you have a decent ship what is there to do? Attack the same NPCs over and over? Drill the same asteroids over and over? Id love to see it done properly with some variety and objectives but for now its just a very dull game imo, although one with big potential.

That's the same thing I heard about Rust, it did not stoped me playing it for 215 hours.
    it's creative lego toy in space. I understand that some people need their hands to be held and told what to do, but I do enjoy when game just throws mechanics at you and let you do whatever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭Klair88

Wish i had of bought it. This looks amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wish I'd gotten it too.

That's the same thing I heard about Rust, it did not stoped me playing it for 215 hours.
    it's creative lego toy in space. I understand that some people need their hands to be held and told what to do, but I do enjoy when game just throws mechanics at you and let you do whatever you want.
    Ummmm, calm down no need to get snippy, it was just an opinion, preferring to play with blocks in a sandbox instead of something with a bit of a challenge or purpose is generally more a sign of someone who needs to have their hand held and told what to do in life anyway :confused:

Thargor wrote: »
    Ummmm, calm down no need to get snippy, it was just an opinion, preferring to play with blocks in a sandbox instead of something with a bit of a challenge or purpose is generally more a sign of someone who needs to have their hand held and told what to do in life anyway :confused:

Dont get snippy yourself, nobody tells you what to do in your life unless its your mum or wife.
    There are games, where experience is focused and there are games where you generate experience for yourself.

When I hear people moan that "there is nothing to do in this game", when the game is an actual SANDBOX, I just go in to Tripple Facepalm. Its like someone moaning that in Call of duty Ghost you cant make a little house and choose wallpaper colour and invite opposite team for a tea after a round.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Klair88 wrote: »
    Wish i had of bought it. This looks amazing.

On sale now with on Humble.

Edit: only on sale for another 1:40hr from the humble bundle lads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Tripple Facepalm.
    That has to require some hand holding surely :D

• Advertisement

That has to require some hand holding surely :D

That exaggeration was to show off how I feel about such comments on Sandbox game. I agree, these games are far away from perfect and not suited for everyone, but complains these games get are just retarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Jumped on a server and it was full of derelict starter player ships, and while I was mining away but people kept crashing into my rocky little home.

Not sure how to make anything still, when I tried to use the assembler it just made parts for the thing I wanted. Also do people use the collector on the top of the starter ship, as I just landed and minded under the ship so it's gravity would prevent stuff flying off.

Its an empty sandbox though, 2 weapons, heavy or light armour, big or small engine, one type of grey asteroid to drill endlessly before moving on to the next, about 3 NPC ship templates repeated over and over again, how many variations of cockpit-reactor-engine can you make before getting bored? thats why I said it had potential its just very dull now.

Varik wrote: »
    Jumped on a server and it was full of derelict starter player ships, and while I was mining away but people kept crashing into my rocky little home.

Not sure how to make anything still, when I tried to use the assembler it just made parts for the thing I wanted. Also do people use the collector on the top of the starter ship, as I just landed and minded under the ship so it's gravity would prevent stuff flying off.

I would recommend going single player unless you play with people you know. Specially when you learning. Go in to creative mode and start building concepts.

Sounds great but I have to ask, where does it fall short? Every other alpha game I have played on steam has been awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Gave this a shot last night after buying it in the sales.

Jebus christ... O.O

Me being me decided to start out with a survival asteroids level.
    So booted up and just kinda stood there for about 5 minutes going... wtf.. what the hell is this? What the hell is that? wtf does this thing do?
    Eventually took my little starter ship and rammed it into an asteroid at full speed. Seems the ships are not made out of rubber :P
    Try 2 went much better.
    After much time tinkering about with various bits and bobs on the ship, I figured out how to maneuver properly without smashing everything in sight. Also managed to get out of the ship and do some mining, most of which drifted off into space (I've since figured out the holding T trick to pick up some as I mine)
    The materials needed for crafting. Holy crap. Even just a standard block needs some amount of Iron.
    After about an hour or so yesterday I had myself a little 4x4 platform that really did take some amount of time, and the beginning of a gravity generator. I was chuffed with myself at something so small. :pac:

It's not something I'm rushing home to play but it is a bit of craic. Will defo play it some more in time.

Noxin wrote: »
    Gave this a shot last night after buying it in the sales.

Jebus christ... O.O

Me being me decided to start out with a survival asteroids level.
    So booted up and just kinda stood there for about 5 minutes going... wtf.. what the hell is this? What the hell is that? wtf does this thing do?
    Eventually took my little starter ship and rammed it into an asteroid at full speed. Seems the ships are not made out of rubber :P
    Try 2 went much better.
    After much time tinkering about with various bits and bobs on the ship, I figured out how to maneuver properly without smashing everything in sight. Also managed to get out of the ship and do some mining, most of which drifted off into space (I've since figured out the holding T trick to pick up some as I mine)
    The materials needed for crafting. Holy crap. Even just a standard block needs some amount of Iron.
    After about an hour or so yesterday I had myself a little 4x4 platform that really did take some amount of time, and the beginning of a gravity generator. I was chuffed with myself at something so small. :pac:

It's not something I'm rushing home to play but it is a bit of craic. Will defo play it some more in time.

When I started off I was really confused and scared of it lol. I was almost at that state where I regretted buying it, but gave it more time, checked few videos online and I was on the ball lol.

There is one sneaky tip when you start off, which will just save you so much time and nerves.
    Get your rookie **** in to position where you want to start mining. Have ship parked maybe 4-5 meters from the surface you want to mine. Then crank up gravity generator of the ship to the max. This will generate gravity in the surrounding area too, so ore that you mine won't be flying all over the place, but just stay on the ground. Start mining a small hole and just pick up stuff.
    When you got yourself enough fuel to survive, keep checking what sort of npc ships flying around. There are some ships with no defences. All you need to do is get inside of them and bring them back to your base. Then open chop shop and harvest it for parts. It will be a huge boost for you and enough mats to build a mining ship.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭McSasquatch II

Just a heads up for anyone swayed by this thread; this is is €12.72 on Bundle Stars for the next 24 hours. Being a new board member, I can't post links, so it's up to you to put in the www and a dot...

bundlestars.com/store/space-engineers/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,003 ✭✭✭Wossack

rear end blew off my salvaging ship the other day, for seemingly no reason :/ might have been an overloaded reactor, or perhaps a full cargohold (definitely didnt crash into anything) - anyone had anything like that happen before?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yogscast have started some sort of series on this,not sure you could call it a play through or even sensical but for those who dont mind the Yogscast and are interested in the game:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

On sale on steam for 9.49

• Registered Users Posts: 81,995 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Im afraid to buy this because i know i want it.

I caved and got it

Is it really buggy and feel incomplete?

I caved and got it

I expect it to go cheaper this week.

In the mean time I'm keeping the itch away by reinstalling titanfall.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I caved and got it

Caved, I get it.

Is it still obviously an early release game? I've been burned way too many times to cave so quick :(

I really need to get back in to this. They added so much stuff since I played last time. I NEED MORE TIME TO PLAY ALL THESE AWESOME GAMES!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Is it still obviously an early release game? I've been burned way too many times to cave so quick :(

This seems to be one of those games that looks like it has great potential but every time I check back with it it still seems to be limping its way towards a beta and I have absolutely no hope that it'll ever feel like anything other than a tech demo. A cool concept does not a proper game make. Have they said anything about a timeline for when it will be a fully fledged game?

• Advertisement

Any site have this cheaper right now than steam?

Advertisement