Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Underrated classic games

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

The Amped series was very well received, I wouldn't have put SSX in the same box as 1080° though, the formers focus was firmly on outlandish tricks and neon lit runs , 1080° was an attempt at a more realistic, tactile game, if which Amped was the successor.
    I had it as one of the initial run of games on the Xbox and it was fantastic, Amped 3 was the best of the bunch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

With star fox incoming I can only hope 1080 and F Zero get a wii U outing. That would be most non heinous. Think I'll rebuy Amped 3. I remember having it 99.9% complete but that save is long gone. Buying burnout revenge and other earlier 360 games again has reminded me how the 360 had a period where it had an awesome lineup but really trailed off near the end, with far too much focus on online multiplayer, dlc and micro transaction nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I suppose you had a transition from games as a product designed to entertain into games that to on the added role of building a new revenue stream for their publishers, to further exploit the game player, and the game has taken a back seat, unfinished releases with massive day one patches seem to be the order of business all too commonly, but 360 titles in the mid to late 00's seemed immune.

On a brighter note we really need to see Starfox, 1080° U would be too much to hope for but the one I really have to see is a F Zero update, after the glory that is F Zero GX, even now it looks incredible.

Only playibg GX recently and it is still glorious, I have a gut feeling star fox will go a No Mans Sky route where the Lylat system is open to jump from planet to planet.

Hell an FZero Gx Hd like the windwaker, that'd do :D they could extend the GameCube controller compatibility to have 8 player local :o

• Advertisement

Danonino. wrote: »
    Only playibg GX recently and it is still glorious, I have a gut feeling star fox will go a No Mans Sky route where the Lylat system is open to jump from planet to planet.

Hell an FZero Gx Hd like the windwaker, that'd do :D they could extend the GameCube controller compatibility to have 8 player local :o

It's been such a long time since the last FZero though, its good to imagine that, perhaps, they are keeping some front line AAA titles for 2015, post the Zelda and Starfox launch, as well as some new IP perhaps.

I hope so because I am close to breaking my rule of never trading a console so I can grab a Wii U without feeling guilty.. Its pretty close to essential at this stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,554 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Danonino. wrote: »

And best of all with GX if you are using an Action Replay you can unlock the arcade version AX.

Would love to see a new F-Zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Just finished God Hand, and I must say, its a real gem. Story is meh and the voice acting is horrendous, but its way too fun, funny and unpredictable to pass up IMO A big thanks to whoever recommended it here

I got this the other day because of this thread.
    Underwhelmed to say the least....
    Mashing punch and kick till I can roll a wheel with R1 ?

Also, you're just thrown in.....I don't need a hold-your-hand tutorial...but even the 'manual' ...where I presume some important control info once was...is bare minimum.

The level seemed extremely drab and boring.
    I'll be giving it another go later......I must be missing something

I never got it myself, I have it on the PS2 and didn't think much of it.
    But then my taste in games is questionable, as are Mr skills at playing them :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

I don't know that one.....

Reminds me of the driving section in Die Hard Trilogy for some reason.
    That said, I think the genre came into it's own on the PS2 with Spyhunter, and it's sequel.

Those games were really decent and can be bought for small change now.
    I have the third one for the PS2 as well, destined to be the game launched alongside a Rock starring movie based on the game but the movie was never made, but the game was and was released. It's not great though, better to remember the good things about the first two PS2 titles and, of course, the original arcade game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    The Amped series was very well received, I wouldn't have put SSX in the same box as 1080° though, the formers focus was firmly on outlandish tricks and neon lit runs , 1080° was an attempt at a more realistic, tactile game, if which Amped was the successor.
    I had it as one of the initial run of games on the Xbox and it was fantastic, Amped 3 was the best of the bunch though.

Woah, you just gave me a major flashback there, loved amped 2 and 3, 3 really did try to go its own way, with the inclusion of real world ski resorts and the crazy storyline. I still have my copy for 360, might did it out for a go later.

SSX4, or the newest one, is actually a great game in its own right, its biggest sin was probably that it left it too long after the phenomenal SSX3 - that whole mountain run was incredible at the time on the original xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,313 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Woah, you just gave me a major flashback there, loved amped 2 and 3, 3 really did try to go its own way, with the inclusion of real world ski resorts and the crazy storyline. I still have my copy for 360, might did it out for a go later.

SSX4, or the newest one, is actually a great game in its own right, its biggest sin was probably that it left it too long after the phenomenal SSX3 - that whole mountain run was incredible at the time on the original xbox.

Just a note to say that SSX will be free for xbox life gold subscribers from 15th of this month as part of 'Games with gold'

I've already made space on my HDD for it, I loved the original SSX game on the PS2 and I'm lookin forward to trying the survival take on the franchise (I'm imagining it's similar in gameplay to the Trials series..)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

Aren't you forgetting SSX on Tour? that came between 3 and the new* one (although to be fair, it only came a year or so after 3). I simply Love SSX, I have them all except for the 2012 one. I even have SSX on tour on both XBOX and PSP!

I don't know how well they sold, the first two certainly didn't light up the charts but the series is an absolute critical darling.

*not really new, but newest.

Aren't you forgetting SSX on Tour? that came between 3 and the new* one (although to be fair, it only came a year or so after 3). I simply Love SSX, I have them all except for the 2012 one. I even have SSX on tour on both XBOX and PSP!

I don't know how well they sold, the first two certainly didn't light up the charts but the series is an absolute critical darling.

*not really new, but newest.

You're right, I am, but wasn't that still only on the original xbox and that generation of hardware? I reckon I'd moved on from those consoles by then. The game thats free with gold next is the first HD game AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,895 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Snowboarding games have to be one of the dullest genres going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Thargor wrote: »

It could be but when you make it arcady and over the top fun like Amped and 1080 then it's nothing but fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

You're right, I am, but wasn't that still only on the original xbox and that generation of hardware?

That's right, it was released shortly before the 7th generation started. I'm actually a little surprised it wasn't held back as a launch title considering how much of a winner 3 was.
    Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It could be but when you make it arcady and over the top fun like Amped and 1080 then it's nothing but fun.

True. iv'e never played 1080 but if SSX was a realistic game, it'd probably be quite dull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

castlevania 2 simons quest is such an under rated game, was the first to introduce the Metroid style to the series, that and shadow run on the nes were my favourite games as a kid

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You just reminded me of Sledstorm on PSX. Quality game and great fun with the multitap.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,972 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

castlevania 2 simons quest is such an under rated game, was the first to introduce the Metroid style to the series, that and shadow run on the nes were my favourite games as a kid

Gets a bad rep now thanks to AVGN. While everything he says about it is true and annoying it still plays really well and was very innovative.

Thargor wrote: »

you must be playing the wrong ones, the ssx series were damn fine racers in their own right, the shoving and knocking down of other boarders as well as the shortcuts and trick boosts made it tactical as well.

tricks equals boost, boost equals speed!

1080° on the N64 is simply sublime.
    The later GameCube update disappointed some but I really liked it.
    Amped and it's sequels had overtaken it I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

The 1080 games, and SSX Tricky were immensely enjoyable!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Waverace on Gamecube :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Deathrow on the first Xbox.

A sports game and a brutal beat 'em up rolled into one, and it excelled at both.

Totally under rated. One of the best local multi-players on the console.

Retr0gamer wrote: »

1080 wasn't over the top fun, it was an attempt to translate steering a board by shifting your weight onto the analog stick on the N64 controller, the courses were mostly downhill mountain runs with some ramps and rails, but it was an an effort to portray snowboarding realistically, Amped tried the same, but with better hardware.
    For the arcade like and over the top stuff you are venturing into EA Big territory with the SSX series and the poor efforts like Shaun Palmer from Activision.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

Cool Boarders....er.... um.... 3

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Cormac... wrote: »
    Cool Boarders....er.... um.... 3

Cool Boarders 2 was where it was at.

Advertisement