Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biked robbed at charity sportive in Naas, Co.Kildare by another cyclist !!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭upthe19th

Delighted to hear this.

Since I took up cycling I always liked that trust among cyclists at events. I know its probably naivety in this day and age, but it's a decency and respect between people who have worked hard, bought or built a bike and know what its like to do so.

I really hope that this doesn't catch on. Looks like social media has its good points when you need to get the word around.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,599 ✭✭✭happytramp

Is it bad that I desperately want to know all the salacious details? I want to hear all about the crack squad and their investigation tactics! All about the brave informants who stood up and helped put them onto the criminals trail? But mostly about the shamed thief, hopefully busted during a club spin, his head hanging low as he's led away in handcuffs to the boo's of his fellow (former) club mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

happytramp wrote: »
    Is it bad that I desperately want to know all the salacious details? I want to hear all about the crack squad and their investigation tactics! All about the brave informants who stood up and helped put them onto the criminals trail? But mostly about the shamed thief, hopefully busted during a club spin, his head hanging low as he's led away in handcuffs to the boo's of his fellow (former) club mates.

like an episode of The Wire ... but with less sex & drugs :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

best news ive heard all week. delighted the bike it back to its owner

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

fishfoodie wrote: »
    like an episode of The Wire ... but with less sex & drugs :D
    Why with less sex and drugs?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭sheepfield

happytramp wrote: »

I do not believe the thief was a clubmate; and your posting is a wee bit juvenile, even if meant in jest.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

sheepfield wrote: »
    I do not believe the thief was a clubmate; and your posting is a wee bit juvenile, even if meant in jest.

A double whammy!

The post is juvenile! Even if it's a joke it's still juvenile!

Oh man its clearly a joke. Who made you the boss of deciding when a joke is juvenile.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

amdublin wrote: »
    Who made you the boss of deciding when a joke is juvenile.
    And who made you think you are a mod around here?

If anyone has an issue with a post, report it and leave it to the local mods to deal with

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Sorry :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

So the perpetrator had cycling gear, a helmet and presumably cleats on? Sorry to say that sounds like one of our own.

As an aside, I think it goes without saying that lads who buy bikes without being sure of their provenance are as bad as the lads taking them.

The answer to not being able to show the footage in future cases btw is to send it to crimecall, I'd say they'd play it in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Haldir

The bike thief was not a member of Naas Cycling Club. This theft should be a wakeup call to all cyclists. You cannot leave your bike out of your sight at any sportive or while in a coffee shop on a club spin or out with friends. It gives the opportunist thief a great opening to help themselves to your pride and joy. I strongly suggest that all cyclists carry a lightweight retractable combination lock with them and use it whenever your bike is out of sight. It won't stop a determined thief but will prevent what happened in Naas from happening to you. The thief will simply select an easier target. Your bike could be that easier target if you continue to think that it will never happen to you.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=retractable+cable+locks&tag=googiehydra-21&index=aps&hvadid=38237380851&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1273601745531945628&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_8t1npme5wh_b

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

was chatting to a lad recently at a coffe stop and he was telling me that a few bikes were robbed from outside a well known cafe in wicklow a while back while the owners were inside, loaded into a van or something. i had feared it would start happening at some point.. i hope yer man was spinning me a yarn but its looking increasingly likely that we'll soon need to carry small locks as Haldir was suggesting

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

was chatting to a lad recently at a coffe stop and he was telling me that a few bikes were robbed from outside a well known cafe in wicklow a while back while the owners were inside, loaded into a van or something. i had feared it would start happening at some point.. i hope yer man was spinning me a yarn but its looking increasingly likely that we'll soon need to carry small locks as Haldir was suggesting

Well at a race there's probably a minimum of about a million yoyos worth of bikes lying around, at a large sportif, several million, it's a shame, but you wouldn't leave a few grand in notes sitting outside a café. I was as guilty as the next man of doing this, but since this thread has gone up I keep an eye on the bike at all times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

a van out robbing bikes will have the tools to break open small locks in public places, it will only delay them a few seconds. larger locks can take 10seconds to break but with loud power tools and sparks so its noticeable

maybe last one to the cafe has to sit outside and mind them! or have a rotation system

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

a van out robbing bikes will have the tools to break open small locks in public places, it will only delay them a few seconds. larger locks can take 10seconds to break but with loud power tools and sparks so its noticeable

maybe last one to the cafe has to sit outside and mind them! or have a rotation system

yeah but no roadie is gonna carry a big filthy u lock on their spins. a good idea would be to leave a lock(s) in your most regular spin cafe(s) and grab it each time.. wouldnt work if everyone had the same idea of course. expensive measure, but better than losing a 3k bike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

Just back from a week in the Pyrenees. Left the bikes outside the cafés at the top of a few cols while we'd have a good feed. You'd be nervous alright but everyone does it.
    Even saw some lads leave top of the line bikes worth 1000's lined up outside their buses in Saint-Gaudens Thursday

Advertisement