Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Biked robbed at charity sportive in Naas, Co.Kildare by another cyclist !!

Options
  • 01-07-2014 6:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 46

My new Look 566 bike was stolen at the Wicklow Peaks charity sportive on Sunday 29th June around 3pm.The most sickening thing is that the CCTY footage shows a cyclist in light blue cycling gear robbing my bike after I had finished the sportive.
    He can be seen walking up and down the rows of bikes outside Finlays garage looking at all the bikes before selecting my bike and cycling away on it. The bike is a black size medium with white lettering and red markings.

The CCTY footage will be given to the Gardai today so hopefully they might have some success.
    More details are up on the Naas Cycling Club Facebook page as I am unable to post images as a new user on Boards.

Any advise or suggestions welcome, as I am gutted and will do anything to get the bike back.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭ciarano

Sorry to hear post pic of your bike on adverts.ie/done deal/gumtree and also keep an eye on ebay.also bit time consuming go to cycling Ireland and triathlon Ireland and get club email addresses and send them your bike details and also use twitter and Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

Sorry to hear that OP, its bad news both for you and cycling here in general, I'd like to think the thief was actually participating in the sportif rather than it being a case of a person or persons appearing in cycling gear after the event with the sole intention of stealing a bike. This would defo make me think twice about casually discarding my bike at the end of the event as I go in search of food/cert/medal etc as I'm sure a lot of people here would do too.

Was there an official photographer at the event? Perhaps if he was a competitor there would be pictures of him doing the event.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,648 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Bequick wrote: »
    He can be seen walking up and down the rows of bikes outside Finlays garage looking at all the bikes before selecting my bike and cycling away on it. The bike is a black size medium with white lettering and red markings.

I'm not a cyclist but one thing I thought when I saw this, any chance he was looking for his bike and thought yours was his?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭jamesd

Only purchased a small lock myself for sportives last week, small and light but just as a deterant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 494 ✭✭Chance The Rapper

He could be a regular scumbag who dressed as a cyclist so it wouldn't look dodgy when he cycled off on a bike

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Sorry to hear about the bike, hope you get it back. I did this event on Sunday and I do remember hopping that someone was keeping an eye on the bikes as I went in to sign on. What a scumbag...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭CarrickMcJoe

amdublin wrote: »
    I'm not a cyclist but one thing I thought when I saw this, any chance he was looking for his bike and thought yours was his?

No chance, it would be like you getting into someone else's car, totally different setup. The guy was just a thief.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭eoz

That's shocking. Heard it happened recently at a cycle in South Tipp too. The bikes are easy pickings and no one would pay any attention to someone in cycling gear taking a bike. OP hope the CCTV is good and the culprit is caught.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

This is the bike in question (I think..open to correction OP)

Look_566_Black_2013.jpg

This is it on the day of the event (From the Naas Cycling Club Facebook page):

10509676_690507251020952_3406238449452775568_n.jpg

If anyone has any information then please get in touch with OP. OP just wants his bike back!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭3102derek

Was he in club gear or just plain blue gear. Are you allow to post the CCTV?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Sikpupi

Am gutted for you.... and thanks for letting us know that this is happening.

The number of times I left my bike lying around while in the shop, at the finishing line, at a Food Stop ... and always expected it to be there on my return. Now any more....am bringing a small lock on ROK this time.

Hope CCTV gets you some result.

AND.. if there is Karma...he will get his!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭fat bloke

These sportive foodstops for a long time have had the potential to be the best bike shops on the planet. Rock up in your gear, find a nice bike in your size and help yourself.
    I recently saw a lad toss his mclaren venge against a wall behind him and toddle into the hall for his free sandwich. Ten grands worth of bike (at least! Considering the wheels & finishing kit on it!) and nary a backward glance. The wonder is that many many more bikes aren't tea-leafed.

Hope op gets his bike back all the same.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

3102derek wrote: »
    Was he in club gear or just plain blue gear. Are you allow to post the CCTV?

To be clear, this site does not allow videos or images of people committing a crime unless/until there has been a conviction.

Reasons are posted here - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=90578487&postcount=6

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

slightly off topic, but the other popular item to go missing is the garmin off the front of your bike at food stops. stick it in your pocket even if not straying far from the bike

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

ah man that is soooo annoying... sorry to hear and I hope you get it back!

As an aside, this sunday at a local coffee shop, amongst the dozen of so bikes parked up I saw a Pinarello Dogma, Colnago C59, 2 x Specialized Venge & Canyon CF SLX parked casually against a wall on the opposite side of the road whilst the owners were inside having their teas etc. Too casual IMO but the owners are happy enough to leave them like that I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,439 ✭✭✭touts

eoz wrote: »
    That's shocking. Heard it happened recently at a cycle in South Tipp too. The bikes are easy pickings and no one would pay any attention to someone in cycling gear taking a bike. OP hope the CCTV is good and the culprit is caught.

I hear they got the one in South Tipp back within a couple of days. The guards pretty much knew exactly where to go to look for it. I'd say that's the case with most of the thefts at sportives. Just opportunist skangers grabbing one and making a run for it. One of those small Aldi/Lidl locks on your bike will be enough to make them grab the unlocked one next to yours. But turning up with gear on to blend in while they select their target. That's putting a bit more thought into it.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

wow, sorry to hear that OP. ?Naively thought this wouldn't happen at a sportive. If you find him I hope u let him "wear" the bike the dirty skanger.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,122 ✭✭✭nilhg

Really disgusted to hear about this on Sunday evening, the last man I spoke to before I left Finlays was the OP, who along with his wife, was a great encouragement to me when I took up cycling.

Whoever robbed the bike was a cool customer, most of the bikes were outside the front of the showrooms, there was a group of lads from our club sitting outside on the grass in the sun chatting to Mike from Finlays and a decent sized queue for the massage tent as well, the scumbag had to walk in and out by all of those any of whom could have owned the bike he chose.

It's a real pity for the OP and also Naas CC and Saplings school who had put on a great well organised, well marshalled safe event for everyone to enjoy, this just puts a dampner on it for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Bequick

Thanks nilhg and everybody else for your kind words and support. Thanks also to TonyStark for posting the pictures of my bike today at 8.34.

The garage ( Finlays Ford ) who kindly hosted the charity sportive last Sunday has many CCTV cameras which show the thief in action, so hopefully he can be identified.

I will keep you all informed of any developments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭derealbadger

Really hope you get the bike back I really felt for you when i was going on Sunday I said i would leave going over to you at the time as i thought you were probably emotionally wrecked talking and thinking about it if you need anything you know who and where i am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Sorry to hear that OP. I would be sickened to think that it may have been another competitor. Hope you get it back - it's a beaut.

I also took part in that sportive on Sunday. I gave a club mate a lift to it. I finished about 20 mins before him and locked up my bike in the car and went inside for refreshments. He joined us when he returned and after sitting there for a while I suddenly remembered that his bike (which was much more expensive than mine) must be outside beside my car. I immediately gave him the keys and apologised for not thinking of it sooner. Ironically he replied that bikes are usually ok at events such as this!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

One thing though, in order for the thief to be identified people need to be able to see and share the images. Is there a facebook page or something we can use to try and help identify the culprit?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

happytramp wrote: »
    One thing though, in order for the thief to be identified people need to be able to see and share the images. Is there a facebook page or something we can use to try and help identify the culprit?

^^^This^^^

post up pictures/stills from the CCTV on Facebook and get people to share it. You'll be amazed how quick it spreads around.

Also post it on the Facebook page 'Buy and Sell (Cyclist Only)' it has approx 9500 followers so will spread quickly. It's mainly Northern Ireland but there are quite a few members from the Republic on it too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Please don't post links to other sites identifying the thief as this would be the same as posting here.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Sickened when I saw this on Sticky Bottle. Checked through the event photos on FB but no one matched the helmet and jersey description. It could happen at the breaks or end of pretty well every other sportif I have been on so no reflection on Wicklow Peaks whatsoever.
    Putting the bike in the car will be the first priority for me from now on but that's not an option for those who cycle to events. Never thought I'd have to bring a lock on a sportif along with all the other bits. Did see a suggestion here somewhere about opening the rear QR and leaving the bike in a high gear but I'm not sure how effective it would be.

From the Naas Cycling Club Webpage

"Barry's Look bike was recovered last week.
    CCTV footage ,on the day the bike was stolen from Wicklow Peaks Event, helped greatly in getting Bike back to its owner. "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭death1234567

TonyStark wrote: »
    From the Naas Cycling Club Webpage

"Barry's Look bike was recovered last week.
    CCTV footage ,on the day the bike was stolen from Wicklow Peaks Event, helped greatly in getting Bike back to its owner. "
    Do you know how he got his bike back? I hope the thief got what was coming to him.

Do you know how he got his bike back? I hope the thief got what was coming to him.

Just the above, won't be around this weekend so I will have to wait a week to get the gossip from the others!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

That is great news, I hope the bike was not damaged etc.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,086 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Good stuff.

Advertisement