Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Humidity issue in rented house.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

AFTER she paid the deposit and signed the tenacy form agreement, she was told by the Manager of whatever company she's renting with that she is somehow obliged to have her radiator on for 3 months in the winter as the house has humidity problems. She went on to say that IF she doesnt turn it on, she WILL be kicked out of the house, regardless of the house being a 1 year contract.
    When I saw this, I saw HELLO ILLEGAL EVICTION PAYOUT :pac:

The radiator can cause affect asthma, but it's not the radiator per se, but the dry air it creates. To this end, the OP should look into getting a humidifier, or if she can't do this (due to cost), a pot of water on top of the radiator can also help.

/edit; I only saw The_Morrigan's post after I posted my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

As building regs have improved and the airtightness of housing stock has improved, with that, issues have arisen with regard to humidity and mould.

Someone here asked why is it that these type of issues seem to always happen with rental properties. They don't - they occur across the board with all manner of properties.

Notwithstanding that, occupant behaviour has a very large input into the extent of an issue like this. In the past, I've rented out rooms in my own house. With one room in particular, there was always an issue. However, the issue varied dependent upon occupant behaviour. If the occupant ventilated it fully (opening the window) and regularly, there was no issue. I've had others who simply never opened a window - and led to a massive 'bloom' of mould developing. Something which is extremely dangerous healthwise (for anyone - let alone someone with asthma) and also something that can go on to do lasting damage to the wall itself (if it's left unchecked, then it will 'infect' that wall - and the only way of rectifying may be to take it down and replace with new plasterboard or re-skim.

I don't think it was an unreasonable request from the agent or landlord. A certain level of heating will also help as a preventative measure with regard to mould and mildew. Additionally, a certain level of heating will also help in the depths of winter to prevent pipes bursting.

As for people saying they do without heating in a house, good luck to you. However, the agent/landlord is trying their best to head off a potential problem before it ever arises. I think that's reasonable. Someone suggested that they obviously know there's an issue - as if to mean there's something fundamentally wrong with the property. Most likely, there isn't. Given a certain profile of occupant behaviour, this issue could arise in probably 95% of irish dwellings.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭PurpleVintage

"The radiator can cause affect asthma, but it's not the radiator per se, but the dry air it creates. " voila! This! Which I believe I covered by saying the air felt burnt/lack of oxygen and an urgent need to get out into the open! The radiators also seem to cause us headaches, but not entirely sure if that's to do with the high temperature in the room or if there may be something else i'm missing.

@rawn
    I'm not sure what the address is or where it's situated, but it's in Carlow Town if that is of any help! It may well be the same house!

I am not interested to know the terms or differences between different heating options - radiators generally speaking (or at least every radiator we've ever come across including portable ones) trigger it and that's it. I honestly do not care if I provided no link to the symptoms, if you have ashtma and aren't affected by that (good for you!) or if you think it's pseudo science. If you want proof google "radiator trigger asthma", plenty of things will come up! A moderator already asked for the ashtma related posts to stop, and he put it the best way you can possibly put it: " Asthma is very subjective and triggers are different for everyone "

Swear some of you have turned boards.ie from a place to ask for help or advice to a place where people have to practically tip toe around what they say in case they get attacked by people who have no intentions in helping and just want to call bs on everything. Shame it's not just regular boarders either.

Thanks for those who have helped suggest alternatives, and to those who have not doubted the integrity of my comment.

I've given her all the suggestions that have been posted here so far, she's going to try them all out and see how they work. She said she will turn on the rad for an hour or two every now and then, just because of the concerns that were brought up about pipes freezing etc. we're not looking to damage anyone's property.
    A dehumidifer unfortunately won't be an option as not only is it pricey, I have heard quite a bit about the amount of electricity it consumes. Money is also an issue, which is partially why what the manager did was even harder to swallow. For those still in doubt, we don't feel her request was unreasonable had it been handled the way it should have been. I already explained the situation, and why it struck such a big nerve. That and her rudeness and complete dismissal of her health condition.

If anyone has any more suggestions they would like to post, they will be appreciated but I would rather no more comments with cynical undertones be posted. Let's keep it constructive and helpful for anyone else who experiences the same issue!

I just remembered, the appartment my sister is currently in has these little containers with water and what looks to be foam balls. It didn't smell very pleasant, so we asked the landlord of that house what it was for, and he said it was to decrease the humidity in the house. I'm wondering if having a couple of those placed in various spots in the house would help? I'm sure I can get them in Dunnes or Heatons, and they probably won't break the bank. The appartment was mold free, radiator's never on, windows left open almost every day until late evening... so no problems with any asthma issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭cormac_byrne

If a house is damp, it may be dried by turning on the heat and opening windows, or by using a dehumidifier. Probably the best solution is to do a bit of both.

Some dehumidifiers have a display that tells you the humidity and can be set to turn off before the air gets too dry (if that's what upsets your asthma)

Also some have an air purifier filter which may be a bonus for an asthma sufferer.

They're also great for drying laundry

If the landlord is serious about keeping the property dry he should be prepared to pay for a dehumidifier.

A dehumidifier will consume a few hundred watts and cost a few cents per hour. My guess €10 - €15 a month if it's on half the time.

A good landlord might adjust the rent to compensate.

http://www.aquastop.ie/Product/59/dehumidifier-air-purifier/mitsubishi-dehumidifier-mj-e16vx-e1

I've got the above dehumidifier and it works well (have no connection to that company, got mine cheaper on ebay)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

To be fair to the landlord I wouldn't be happy if a house I owned in Ireland wasn't being properly and regularly heated during the winter months. We are a wet, damp country and it can't be good for the property to never or very rarely have the heat on. Why not put the heat on for two hours during work/school hours when there isn't anyone in the house?

Alternatively put it on during the night and use a humidifier/improvised humidifier in the room with the asthmatic (link

"To counteract this dryness, Burack recommends the use of saline nasal spray to help keep nasal passages well moisturized (make sure you check with the child’s doctor first), and using a room humidifier to add moisture to the air. Humidifiers can do wonders for taking the dry sting out of the air, but if you are going to use one it’s important you remember to clean it regularly and replace the water daily to avoid mold and mildew from developing.

If you can’t afford a humidifier, it’s perfectly acceptable to fill a big pot with water and leave it on top of the radiator or near a heating vent. As long as its not in danger of tipping over or becoming a tripping or electrical hazard, the pot method is a safe, inexpensive way to add some much needed moisture to a room. "

I didn't want to start a new thread about it so i'll just post here. They moved into the house yesterday, spent the past 2 days cleaning it because it was literally a mess. Some things even came broken which she is taking a note just in case. She said the house has no bins which once again, was something that was completely left out and not mentioned in the slightest.

She contacted the manager and she said my sister was going to have to pay for them. Last time my bins were stolen I was quoted 60 euros, but I've seen higher and lower prices. Once again, curious to know if this is something that is acceptable for her to expect my sister to have to cover the costs. I've never come across a house up for rent without bins, so was seriously surprised to hear. Especially since it wasnt even mentioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Jaw dropping thread. Unbelievable to imagine that there are people in Ireland in 2014 who are deliberately not heating their houses. OPs sister should be more worried about a visit from social services than who is paying for her bins.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 656 ✭✭✭NipNip

drumswan wrote: »
    Jaw dropping thread. Unbelievable to imagine that there are people in Ireland in 2014 who are deliberately not heating their houses. OPs sister should be more worried about a visit from social services than who is paying for her bins.

:pac:

They'll land with a 300 euro voucher for heating I suppose?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

I didn't want to start a new thread about it so i'll just post here. They moved into the house yesterday, spent the past 2 days cleaning it because it was literally a mess. Some things even came broken which she is taking a note just in case. She said the house has no bins which once again, was something that was completely left out and not mentioned in the slightest.

She contacted the manager and she said my sister was going to have to pay for them. Last time my bins were stolen I was quoted 60 euros, but I've seen higher and lower prices. Once again, curious to know if this is something that is acceptable for her to expect my sister to have to cover the costs. I've never come across a house up for rent without bins, so was seriously surprised to hear. Especially since it wasnt even mentioned.

Unless it's a communal building it's totally normal for the tenant to arrange and pay for their own bins. It's a utility - same as electricity, gas etc. The person who uses the service is responsible for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,821 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Some things even came broken which she is taking a note just in case.

These should have been noted on the inventory which was agreed with the agent when she did the move-in inspection, not discovered later.

A decent agent and clued-up tenant would also photos of the state of the place as move-in.

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it should have been noted also. We'll see how many other things she comes up with over time that weren't stated on the agreement.
    Yes, pictures have been taken of everything by my sister. The images on the ad were completely misleading of the conditions the house would be found in. The information too, other than the missing information that was only let known after any official documents were signed, there's also the fact that the location it claimed to be in is a lot further than stated. What was meant to be a 5 minute walk from town is actually a 20 minute walk. Dodgy manager is what she seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,175 ✭✭✭✭L1011

What was meant to be a 5 minute walk from town is actually a 20 minute walk. Dodgy manager is what she seems to be.

All estate agents are former Olympic walkers, didn't you know that? :pac:

Never believe a walking or driving distance given, use the actual address and Google Maps it or do it yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Thanks for the feedback. I thought it should have been noted also. We'll see how many other things she comes up with over time that weren't stated on the agreement.
    Yes, pictures have been taken of everything by my sister. The images on the ad were completely misleading of the conditions the house would be found in. The information too, other than the missing information that was only let known after any official documents were signed, there's also the fact that the location it claimed to be in is a lot further than stated. What was meant to be a 5 minute walk from town is actually a 20 minute walk. Dodgy manager is what she seems to be.

:eek: it's sounding more and more like the house I rented by the minute! We were told the house was Carlow, and only 5/10 minute walk from the town, when in fact it was in Louth (which meant the RA limit was different from what were we expecting) and a nearly 30 minute walk from Carlow town! Is it a 3-bed bungalow by any chance?

Holy crap, Louth! A whole other county! Now that's pushing it. I'm pretty certain this house is not in Louth, it is a 3 bed house but not entirely sure if it's a bungalow or just a regular house. That's crazy though, can't believe someone would go from 5 minutes to 30!

Holy crap, Louth! A whole other county! Now that's pushing it. I'm pretty certain this house is not in Louth, it is a 3 bed house but not entirely sure if it's a bungalow or just a regular house. That's crazy though, can't believe someone would go from 5 minutes to 30!

It was literally 5 steps from the LaoisCarlow border, but it really ****ed us up in terms of catchment area for rent allowance! Wouldn't be at all surprised if it was the same letting agency (pretty sure we can't name them here), they were pretty sneaky about a few details with us too

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

rawn wrote: »
    It was literally 5 steps from the Louth/Carlow border, but it really ****ed us up in terms of catchment area for rent allowance! Wouldn't be at all surprised if it was the same letting agency (pretty sure we can't name them here), they were pretty sneaky about a few details with us too

No, you can't name them here.
    Also, can you take the off topic chat to pm - thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Ocean Blue

rawn wrote: »
    It was literally 5 steps from the Louth/Carlow border, but it really ****ed us up in terms of catchment area for rent allowance! Wouldn't be at all surprised if it was the same letting agency (pretty sure we can't name them here), they were pretty sneaky about a few details with us too

Not to derail the thread BUT do you mean Laois rather than Louth??!!

Ocean Blue wrote: »
    Not to derail the thread BUT do you mean Laois rather than Louth??!!

Ahem. Yes, I did :o

Could you not check yourself where the property is before renting it? Can you not get Google maps in Carlow? Christ

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭username123

OP, did your sister not view the property before renting it? Surely she must have realised the location and the conditions of the property from a viewing?

I apologise if you already stated she rented based on ad alone.

Yes she did check where the property was before renting. Some websites have the house already on the map, showing where it is and how to get there but that map was wrong, only showed half the way. It was a 15 minute walk extra without including the extra time it took her to ask for directions. But why are you getting all worked up for, get your head out of your ass and stop taking our your frustrations on others. Last I checked I dont owe you anything so you can take my name out of your little agenda.

@username123
    She did check it before renting, there's no way she wouldn't have. No need to apologise! From what I know it's the opposite way of where she currently lives and she hasn't been in that area much (still new to Carlow) so had to ask around for directions when she realised she had the wrong house. She must have only noticed that the house was a lot further when she was moving her things back and forth cause she didnt mention anything on the viewing day. On the bright side, it's a lot closer to her college too so it works out! Guess we should be taking the "maps" on the ad pages with a pinch of salt, something else to add to the list.

@rawn
    I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same company! Although hers wasn't rent allowance so thankfully nothing got messed up! Bad luck huh.

I'm still struggling to understand how you rent a house without knowing it's location. Was there no viewing?

• Moderators Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

drumswan wrote: »
    I'm still struggling to understand how you rent a house without knowing it's location. Was there no viewing?

What does this have to do with a humidity problem? Get back on topic.

/Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Unless she is imprisoned in the house, cant she turn on the heating at times when she is out? I don't think having a house developing mould/damp is very healthy otherwise.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement