Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids buggy in an apartment block

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

I must have had a great builder. Also in apt block built during the boom. Difference is every apt has utility room, large bedrooms, built in wardrobes, hallway storage and our own individual shed outside. It's a 2 x bed at over 1,000 sq ft. I also have a small garden being at ground floor

All of my friends "stuck in" apts say they cannot wait to move out but I never feel like that. My neighbours say the same, no need to move. The extra thought put in to our accomodation means that we look at it as a long term place to live and not as a stop gap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I'm the same, I live in a 3 bed apartment that is bigger (and has an extra bathroom) than my sister's 3 bed semi. Kitchen & sitting room almost 20 feet long each, balcony about the size of an average room...hall storage. Good builders existed. So do good owners and residents. Consideration is key.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

I've just moved into a new apartment and there is a buggy permanently parked outside the apartment directly opposite. It wasn't there when I viewed the apt unfortunately (thought it's presence alone wouldn't have put me off I suppose).
    Worse than the buggy, one hot day a bag of smelly rubbish was left outside the door all day. The next day it was 2 boxes of empty bottles.
    It's more than annoying, I actually feel like it's infringing on my enjoyment of my apartment, like the neighbors feel the corridor is 'theirs'.
    I really want to make a complaint but it will be obvious it came from me - I'm the only other apartment down that corridor and I have just moved in.
    I just hope they read boards!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭on_my_oe

Svalbard wrote: »
    I really want to make a complaint but it will be obvious it came from me - I'm the only other apartment down that corridor and I have just moved in.
    I just hope they read boards!!!

You're going to need to stand up for yourself, knock in the door and have a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Svalbard

Well yeah, obvs.
    But I don't like confrontation, I'm Irish!

• Advertisement

Well yeah, obvs.

I think it might be catching - neither me nor the OH are Irish born (although the OH is now NiIrish), and he sends the missus to deal with it :rolleyes: I'm sure he was more assertive when we first met...

Seriously though, a gentle word could be all you need - have you seen your neighbours? Are they scary looking? Alternatively a chat to the managing agent - if you're lucky they'll assume the building cleaners (if you have them) flagged it.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭madrabui

Well yeah, obvs.

To avoid targeting a particular apartment, a general notice to everyone can be sent from the management company/residents association.

At least then your neighbour will have then been forewarned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

keith16 wrote: »
    Nope, doesn't exist. Everyone harps on about the need for high density living, which has its merits, but there is no concept of what good communal living looks like. It's almost designed to be adversarial.

- Nothing on balconies

This one gets on my nerves, well a blanket ban at any rate. Even satellite dishes are a lot less ugly than they used to be, you can get nice neat little ones now in neutral, matte colours or black. But no, blanket ban! :mad:

Tarzana wrote: »
    This one gets on my nerves, well a blanket ban at any rate. Even satellite dishes are a lot less ugly than they used to be, you can get nice neat little ones now in neutral, matte colours or black. But no, blanket ban! :mad:

That's a planning permission issue for most developments.

awec wrote: »
    I imagine the apartments themselves are bigger too if they are designed for long term living?

We're all about squeezing as many apartments in to a space as possible here. Make them small, with second bedrooms that you couldn't swing a cat in. No storage space cause that would take up valuable space that could be used to build another undersized apartment.

Depressingly true, but sometimes it 'sjust poor planning of the space within the apartment. I lived in one with a cupboard sized bathroom but three large bedrooms and a hallway that didn't need to be as big as it was. The rooms and hallway could easier have donated space to the bathroom. :confused:

• Advertisement

athtrasna wrote: »

It really needs review. It's the same in the UK. I don't, is it a kind of snobbery towards dishes? I know in the UK that dishes are seen as downmarket, and an area is judged on their prevalence.

What is the planning issue exactly? Is it down to appearance? If so, it needs to be updated, as like I said, many are quite tasteful now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

athtrasna wrote: »

Planning laws are stuck in the dark ages.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    But all with 2 bathrooms for some reason :rolleyes:

I ain't never been in an apartment with two bathrooms in Ireland. And the bathrooms in most seem to be tiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

keith16 wrote: »
    Nope, doesn't exist. Everyone harps on about the need for high density living, which has its merits, but there is no concept of what good communal living looks like. It's almost designed to be adversarial.

- Nothing on balconies
    - Child / family unfriendly
    - Gardens / green areas for the sake of it - no kids running / games

All very superficial IMO.

I must agree with this. Apartments are there to be lived in not to look pretty. Drying washing on the balcony should be encouraged rather than discouraged, it saves energy and I dread to think of the mould problems that some apartments will have down the years because of the balcony drying bans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Pro Hoc Vice

In parts of northern europe, most apartment have ancilliary services in the basement like parking spaces, communal drying areas for laundry, and individual storage bays. I have never seen anything even close to this in ireland.

I know of an apartment complex in ireland with basement parking 2 spaces for each apartment, and a storage room for each apartment. No drying area for laundry but each apartment has a washer dryer, large one acre internal garden, very private and secure.

syklops wrote: »
    You were nearly there. In 10 years time they will be dealing with damp because people have been drying clothes in their rooms. :rolleyes:

Thank you. And then tenants lost parts of their deposits due to this. My apartment has a washer/drier but the drier component is shocking, as is the way with washer/driers. So, a clothes horse is a must, as the leccy bills would be out of control otherwise. I'm in a really well insulated third floor apartment so our clothes dry quickly. Because of this, damp likely won't be an issue for us. But most apartments in Ireland seem to be terribly insulated and cold.

Paulw wrote: »
    I really like my apartment. I have storage space for bike/buggy under the stairs. My "box room" is large enough, and my main and 2nd bedroom both have built in wardrobes. My apartment is larger that most 3 bed houses in the area.

The unit was built in 2005/2006, so the height of the boom. It is a solid building, with concrete floors and walls, so sound doesn't travel much.

Maybe I was lucky, but this was the best building that I found when I was looking.

Nothing is stored in the communal hall, so we're all fine.

I guess even in the boom, there were builders, architects and engineers who cared about their craft and not the lowest common denominator.

I'm sorry, but I think driving past an apartment block with balconies full of washing drying lacks trashy, and don't get me started on people tying bits of bamboo to their balcony.

Balconies should be coloured dark tinted glass or similar, to hide the usual crap that people have on their balcony, with a drying box at one end (phone box sized) where there would be a double or triple layer of drying racks contained inside the dark glass.

on_my_oe wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but I think driving past an apartment block with balconies full of washing drying lacks trashy, and don't get me started on people tying bits of bamboo to their balcony.

Balconies should be coloured dark tinted glass or similar, to hide the usual crap that people have on their balcony, with a drying box at one end (phone box sized) where there would be a double or triple layer of drying racks contained inside the dark glass.

Yes but somebody's apartment is for them to live in, not to please your visual tastes. Would you consider a washing line in a back garden to be tacky?

Tarzana wrote: »
    I ain't never been in an apartment with two bathrooms in Ireland. And the bathrooms in most seem to be tiny.

Mine has two, one a decent size

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭peter_dublin

P_1 wrote: »
    Would you consider a washing line in a back garden to be tacky?

Wouldn't a more accurate question be "Would you consider a washing line in a front garden to be tacky?

Because that's what it amounts to, also people are saying sat dishes are small and nice to look at now, Yep, if your "Irish" and want Sky, some, such as ArabSat on 26e require a 1m, 1.2m wide dish, few apartment complexes these days are all irish so larger dishes would be the norm, out of 8 units in my development, 3 are let to non Irish that require 1m+ dishes. That's nether small nor plesant to look at but that issue can be avoided using communal systems like we did.

missmyler wrote: »
    I must have had a great builder. Also in apt block built during the boom. Difference is every apt has utility room, large bedrooms, built in wardrobes, hallway storage and our own individual shed outside. It's a 2 x bed at over 1,000 sq ft. I also have a small garden being at ground floor

All of my friends "stuck in" apts say they cannot wait to move out but I never feel like that. My neighbours say the same, no need to move. The extra thought put in to our accomodation means that we look at it as a long term place to live and not as a stop gap.

Also in a boom-time apartment, and I'm pleasantly surprised by how not crap it is. :)

on_my_oe wrote: »

Great idea, washing can indeed look slovenly.
    Yes but somebody's apartment is for them to live in, not to please your visual tastes. Would you consider a washing line in a back garden to be tacky?

Well, you've sort of answered your own question here, it's at the *back*.

Wouldn't a more accurate question be "Would you consider a washing line in a front garden to be tacky?

Because that's what it amounts to, also people are saying sat dishes are small and nice to look at now, Yep, if your "Irish" and want Sky, some, such as ArabSat on 26e require a 1m, 1.2m wide dish, few apartment complexes these days are all irish so larger dishes would be the norm, out of 8 units in my development, 3 are let to non Irish that require 1m+ dishes. That's nether small nor plesant to look at but that issue can be avoided using communal systems like we did.

Honestly I fail to see how any of those would spoil anybody's quiet enjoyment of their home. Large satellite dishes, I grant you. have the potential to cause danger if they're not installed correctly but what harm does seeing somebody's clothes drying possibly harm anybody?

Well, I dunno, I was just talking about the neat little ones, I never said they all look good. But you're very restricted if you can't have a dish, even Saorview requires one.

Honestly I fail to see how any of those would spoil anybody's quiet enjoyment of their home. Large satellite dishes, I grant you. have the potential to cause danger if they're not installed correctly but what harm does seeing somebody's clothes drying possibly harm anybody?

It doesn't do any harm, but it certainly looks unappealing - it's the modern equivalent of an east end tenement. I live in an apartment now, and seeing my neighbours flappy greyish tightie whities does curdle the stomach a little at breakfast.

A drying room, or some type of dark tainted or mirrored glass on the balcony that combines function, aesthetics and privacy would be nicer. If we are thinking about making apartment living better, we might as well dream big?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

As the OP's original query has been resolved- closing thread.
    If you want a discussion about satellite dishes- or anything else- please start a new thread.

Regards,

The_Conductor

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement