Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iherb Food Items - VAT charges + €10 DHL charge over orders €22+

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

olewy wrote: »
    Maybe "avoid" was the wrong word for me to use then, how about "legally prevent" (ie through legitimate means)?
    No, avoid was the right term, tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is legitimate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tax_avoidance
    Tax avoidance
    Not to be confused with tax evasion.
    Tax avoidance is the legal usage of the tax regime to one's own advantage to reduce the amount of tax that is payable by means that are within the law.

Revenue are pretty good to email response wise. I would ask them how it should be labelled, put the ball in their court. Then you would have some good comeback if they did charge you, being able to forward emails from revenue themselves telling you how to make sure you were not incorrectly charged. Can't see how they could argue with that.

A start would be using the exact terms they use themselves.

e.g.
    FOOD SUPPLEMENTS (Food and Drink)
    Rate: Zero
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vat/rates/decision-detail-04820.jsp

I would even send them a link to this thread and specifically call out iherb as a shop where people are known to have issues with.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Mofty

DHL has 60% discount on international orders. I ordered 45 euro worth of stuff and was not charged customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 korb

Has anyone tried Vitacost as an alternative to iherb ?

They seem cheaper than Iherb and offer DHL Global Mail at a Flat Rate of $8.99 up to 3.60lbs.

I tried them for some supplements that I could not get from iHerb and it arrived in Ireland by AnPost 10 days from placing the ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,533 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

korb wrote: »
    I tried them for some supplements that I could not get from iHerb and it arrived in Ireland by AnPost 10 days from placing the ordering.

Thanks,will try them out

I had a recent order from Iherb arrive in 10 days too by standard post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

I tried ordering the large Ester C bottle (180) tablets, they aren't giving Ireland as an option to deliver to, the UK, Canada Korea and a few other random countries are the only options appearing, am I doing something wrong?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭olewy

Curious to know how is everyone here getting on with their most recent orders from either iHerb or other US online retailers via either DHL or An Post as regards getting hit with blanket VAT charges where zero rates should apply per Revenue's site?

Curious to know how is everyone here getting on with their most recent orders from either iHerb or other US online retailers via either DHL or An Post as regards getting hit with blanket VAT charges where zero rates should apply per Revenue's site?

So far no more charges.

So far no more charges.

Was this via DHL & over the €26 order value cut-off on vat or non-vat chargeable items or a mix of both?

Was this via DHL & over the €26 order value cut-off on vat or non-vat chargeable items or a mix of both?

DHL and the order is similar to the ones I payed taxed last year.
    I payed tax for every single order I had last year.

No charges on my latest large order either delivered about 2 weeks ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I'm the opposite. Never charged until this week. They delivered mine and said to pay them at some point - did anyone pay them? If so, why?

I'm the opposite. Never charged until this week. They delivered mine and said to pay them at some point - did anyone pay them? If so, why?

You're being charged VAT, even though revenues website says vitamins are VAT free.
    eta so far never got the motivation to challenge it on my past orders, was hoping they'd stopped charging...

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

maggiepip wrote: »
    You're being charged VAT, even though revenues website says vitamins are VAT free.
    eta so far never got the motivation to challenge it on my past orders, was hoping they'd stopped charging...

Food supplement vitamins are VAT free.
    However if your product says something like 'fat burning' 'endurance training' stuff like that, they'll slap the VAT on it!

rustyzip wrote: »
    Food supplement vitamins are VAT free.
    However if your product says something like 'fat burning' 'endurance training' stuff like that, they'll slap the VAT on it!

D3, CQ10 & Probiotics - that should all be VAT free shouldnt it?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

D3, CQ10 & Probiotics - that should all be VAT free shouldnt it?

Thanks

Technically yes.. BUT, if the product bottle says stuff it will be deemed VAT+
    Like COq10 = energy enhancing, metabolism boosting etc.. it's an absolute bi*ch but such is life!

They really need an overhaul!

rustyzip wrote: »
    Technically yes.. BUT, if the product bottle says stuff it will be deemed VAT+
    Like COq10 = energy enhancing, metabolism boosting etc.. it's an absolute bi*ch but such is life!

They really need an overhaul!

Has anybody challanged this? Or are yis all like me and just pay up!

My OH contacted revenue and dhl and vat should never have been slapped on blanket charge. Got a full refund for all the vat we've wrongly been charged over the last year!

My OH contacted revenue and dhl and vat should never have been slapped on blanket charge. Got a full refund for all the vat we've wrongly been charged over the last year!

What was the procedure that your OH followed in order to get the refund?

Basically phoned them, having checked first with revenue and informed them of the error.

Eta: then he had to email them the serial number of all the orders we were wrongly charged on for the past year.

Basically phoned them, having checked first with revenue and informed them of the error.

Eta: then he had to email them the serial number of all the orders we were wrongly charged on for the past year.

So phone Revenue, confirm with them that you shouldn't have been charged.
    Then phone Customs & Excise & say you've spoken with Revenue who've advised you shouldn't have been charged & get their email address? What number did you use to contact Customs & Excise? Which order serial numbers are you referring to?

I didn't keep the customs sticker/stamp on the box, other than having the iHerb order # in my inbox.
    I assume there was/is no way of getting back the €10 fee from DHL.

• Advertisement

Theres no need to involve revenue or customs. My husband only phoned them to make sure what was stated on revenues site was completely correct and nothing had changed regarding vat on vitamins/supplements. My understanding is now that its the responsibility of the courier company to pay the correct vat on your behalf, so if the payment made was incorrect they must sort it out. Thats my understanding anyway, which of course may not be correct!

You only need to communicate with the carrier, in this case dhl, who will take it from there, I think its the shipment number you need, if you have your old email of shipped orders still in your inbox you'll get the number you need from there, (dhl will tell you, sorry husbands asleep right now so I can't ask him,!) The 10 euro handling charge was also refunded to us. Its all quite simple, sorry I wasn't clearer in my previous post.

I've just been re reading this whole thread and its utterly disgraceful whats been happening. So many peole were told, like ourselves, that customs were "clamping down", that the "rules had changed"(even though revenues site remained the same regarding vat. All this information was false, revenue never brought in new rules. How could there ever have been a "clampdown" on importing vitamins which are listed as vat free and are vat free (with the exception of the few as listed on revenues site).
    How has it happened that so much incorrect information was given to people? Its outrageous actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

I've just been re reading this whole thread and its utterly disgraceful whats been happening. So many peole were told, like ourselves, that customs were "clamping down", that the "rules had changed"(even though revenues site remained the same regarding vat. All this information was false, revenue never brought in new rules. How could there ever have been a "clampdown" on importing vitamins which are listed as vat free and are vat free (with the exception of the few as listed on revenues site).
    How has it happened that so much incorrect information was given to people? Its outrageous actually.

Companies being managed by chancers who will try their best to extract as much as they can and probably get a pat on the head from the big boss then. If they cop that there's a steady flow of packages coming from the likes of iherb they see euro signs in their eyes and rely on the fact that some people just don't challenge things like this.

I just told DHL I wasn't paying it. They gave me the package with no problem at all. Now I use the slower delivery option and don't have to deal with DHL anymore.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

i placed my first couple of orders last week, used the airmail premium option. has tracking and all for only 4 dollars, can't go wrong

well, it can obviously. hopefully it doesn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭cagefactor

how long do the other options take to deliver ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

dunno about the others but i had one shipped on the 18th and it arrived yesterday, using the airmail premium 4 dollars option.
    not too bad.

Anyone get caught for customs recently ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Anyone get caught for customs recently ?

I haven't used DHL, I'm just too wary of getting stung by them and whatever little scam it is they have running. I use the premium airmail service instead, it takes 3-4 days longer usually but I have peace of mind.

• Advertisement

Seanachai wrote: »
    I haven't used DHL, I'm just too wary of getting stung by them and whatever little scam it is they have running. I use the premium airmail service instead, it takes 3-4 days longer usually but I have peace of mind.

Thanks.
    I always use airmail but usually keep it under 25 euro but they currently have free shipping on orders over $40 so I was thinking of going for that but no point if I get hit for customs.

Advertisement