Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worst irish summer

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,236 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

1985 definitely. Brought home the turf eventually in September.And it was still wet.
    After spending all Summer in the bog.
    Tractors sinking, etc. Had to wheelbarrow it all a mile to the road.
    Horrible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Is it just me who thinks a summer of frequent thunderstorms would be a pretty great summer? :o Plus short bursts of really heavy thunderstorm rain can be invigorating and much preferable to the drizzly crap we usually get. And thunderstorms often punctuate spells of fine weather. I remember we had a few thunderstorms in summer 1995 that were hot weather related.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

gammygils wrote: »
    1985 definitely. Brought home the turf eventually in September.And it was still wet.
    After spending all Summer in the bog.
    Tractors sinking, etc. Had to wheelbarrow it all a mile to the road.
    Horrible!
    Interesting. I mentioned the terrible summer of 1946 the other day and 1985 was similar, both a lot worse than anything we had in the period 2007-12.
    The two coldest Februarys of the 20th century were 1947 and '86.
    Coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,729 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

1985 was woeful, 1986 bad too, 2012 had the worst June ever in recorded history.

As Elmer said, 1946 was a very bad summer which made the winter of 1947 even worst as the feed for the animals was poor, and food for the humans was rationed after the war.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

1985. Spent a week in a tent down the road from my house at the scout Jamboree in Portumna - which we re-named Port-Mud-Na '85. Thank god it was in my town, we were able to go home and get a shower.

2007 - 2012 were the years when my garden flooded each summer, and we had to put the central heating on in June and August....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

1985 , dull, rain and of course where does My father bring us on holiday just after finishing my inter cert , a cottage in north mayo , we hardly left the house for 2 weeks , no tv either , live aid on the radio from wembley and Philadelphia so didn't even get to see that .

Advertisement