Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

worst irish summer

Options
  • 29-06-2014 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

just thinking back to that terrible summer of 2012 which was an absolute washout as we all remember. Can anyone else think of any poor summers ? Two that also come to mind are the summers of 1985 and 1986

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Aught dickety dick was pretty poor as far as I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Panrich

s.m wrote: »
    just thinking back to that terrible summer of 2012 which was an absolute washout as we all remember. Can anyone else think of any poor summers ? Two that also come to mind are the summers of 1985 and 1986

2007 was the biggest washout that I can ever remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭JM Skipton

85 was horrendous,wet dull no sun whatsoever 07 was not far behind it seemed to continually rain from may to August before getting a decent September

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Call me Al

2002 was a washout. We had a German friend with us that summer and she and I recorded that it rained every single day at our house in Clonee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Summer 98 wasnt a great summer,cool and fairly wet overall from what i can remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Apparently 1946 was an extremely bad summer, there was little or no coal to had following WW2 and the turf was of very poor quality during the following famous winter causing great hardship.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Summers of 2007 to 2012 were possibly the longest run of bad summers year after year that I can remember in a long time. Summer of 2013 broke that trend and so far Summer 2014 has been fairly decent, still have all of July & August to play for and even start of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The majority of the summers from 07-12 were poor or very poor. I do remember 98 and 02 being bad too. The 80's saw a couple of poor summers too with a bad run from 85 to 88

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Aiel

1996 for me was a brutal summer, especially after the previous Summer in 95 which was so great.I remember trying to get dry days to do the garden and week after week went by of very wet weather,that grey misty muck.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

2007-2012 were six rotten years without as much as a weeks solid dry weather in the summer (Sept 2009 being the exception) and 2002 was terrible also, I remember getting drenched wet in the terraces in Killarney watching Kerry and Cork play a miserable draw and Ireland getting knocked out of the World Cup by Spain on Penalties then same day. I was sick for about three months after with pleurisy of the lungs.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

Actually 2007-2012 were all terrible. I really thought we'd never have a good summer again.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Irelandcool

This year has been good but with just with an increase of thunderstorms in my area (which I like cause you know I want to go storm chasing once I get a proper car and driving license).

I can't remember which year it was but during 2007 to 2009 we were able to see a funnel or possible tornado in our area so that year wasn't that year.
    But all it takes this year is a spanish plume + that el nino and this years summer could see a bit of HP supercells forming.

also I think it was 1999 or 2001 or 2002 in which a week or two our place was hit by a thunderstorm every day some were supercell in nature, on particularly storm started from 3/2 O clock and lasted till 11pm that night with big flashes of lightning.
    2012 though was the worst especially since how my uncles farm was hit by bad flash flooding even though it was sloping.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

s.m wrote: »
    2012 was the worst 1985 was close but I don't remember 86 being bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Alonso77

2011 was actually a chilly summer so to speak as I recall. dreary

Alonso77 wrote: »

actually most of that year was chilly but dry at the same time except for the flooding at november

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

1. 1985
    2. 2007
    3. 1998/1986 tied

In my lifetime anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

2012 wasn't that bad. I was pregnant, found the heat so horrible and got burnt to a crisp during May bank holiday. Summer of 2001 sucked.

2012 wasn't that bad. I was pregnant, found the heat so horrible and got burnt to a crisp during May bank holiday. Summer of 2001 sucked.

Summer 2012 consisted of one week at the end of May.

Alonso77 wrote: »

Yep - one fine week around Easter, the rest of the year was grim to say the least:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Summer 2012 consisted of one week at the end of May.

Every year summer occurs during the summer months, in the season called....wait for it.... summer!!

Every year summer occurs during the summer months, in the season called....wait for it.... summer!!

I'm aware of that - I was referring more to "summer type" weather over the course of a year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,828 ✭✭✭acequion

I remember summer 1985 very clearly as my father was dying of cancer and the elements that year were in sympathy with the mood in our family.A dreadful summer!

2007 also stands out as I was having my house built that summer and it was a deluge. I moved in later that year and the following year bought garden furniture,barbecue etc and in fact did not get to use any of that until July last year.

So, I'd go with what a lot of the others have said. 1985 and to varying degrees 2007-2012. I honestly had started to believe that climate change meant that proper summers,as in dry,warm,settled weather,were a thing of the past.

And then along came that glorious heatwave of July 2013!:D To be continued in 2014........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭sunbeam

1985: the summer of Live Aid, moving statues and endless rain.

IIRC the weather was so bad that when it picked up at the start of September the government gave primary school kids an extra week off school. I had just started secondary.

I remember May and June 2010 were quite good as my mother was dying then. The day after she died the torrential rain arrived.

Its hard to believe it's 19 years since the glorious summer of 95. 19 years previous to that was 76 and I have only vague recollections of my mother and granny giving out about how hot it was.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 607 ✭✭✭jack o shea

2012 was the worst summer ever in this country bar none, just ask any farmer, animals housed all summer because of the non stop rain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,388 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

1985 also consisted of one of the most biblical of thunderstorms to hit Ireland that I am insanely jealous I wasn't alive to witness.

I seem to remember a pretty big flood hitting the east coast in August 2008 as well. Remember the walkways surrounding Croke Park being flooded and the scout Jamboree in Punchestown having to finish early. Can't remember what the rest of Summer 2008 was like though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭pauldry

sunbeam wrote: »

Its hard to believe it's 19 years since the glorious summer of 95. 19 years previous to that was 76 and I have only vague recollections of my mother and granny giving out about how hot it was.

And 1995+19=2014 :cool::cool::cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

It was the worst summer I remember and I'm around a long time. Rain almost every day and when you work depends on the weather you don't forget too easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

And in 2012, we had one week's worth of summer weather. Yes, in a summer month, but on only one week out of 12. The rest of the summer was absolutely awful. I regularly got soaked through walking to and from work that summer, much more than in the following winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

I do also recall the summers of 1988 and 1991 being fairly poor for the most part and the summer of 1986 I remember there being a lot of thunderstorms than usual

Advertisement