Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different baby girl name ideas

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

Just heard the name Beth in a tv programme and had to post it here! It's so beautiful but simple and timeless and yet not something you would come across everyday. A winner in my eyes!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

A friend of mine called her daughter Thomasina , shortened to Tommy after her father who passed away while she was expecting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I like the name Arya (as in Arya Stark), the wife isn't a fan

One of the things that bore heavily on us when we were thinking about names - all those years ago - was that babies don't remain babies for ever, and as adults we have a responsibility to give them names that will make sense when they're born and still make sense long after we're gone.

I read an article once (and I'm sure I've posted it somewhere here before) that said that before you commit to giving your child your chosen name you should put it into three sentences and say them out loud to yourself and to a few other people - and if any of the sentences sounds even the slightest bit doubtful then you've got the wrong name and you need to go back to the drawing board.

The three sentences? If I might choose a name at, er, random from this thread:

"Is Skye coming out to play?"

"I love you, Skye."

"I wonder if Skye is ready for this promotion."

I never had a daughter, but if I had I would have been even more careful in my choice than when naming a boy. Why? Because we live in a sexist world, and women already face steep enough hills to climb in the professional world without being burdened with a name no-one can take seriously. A name that is cute on a three-year old or an actress in a soap might not prove to be the right choice if you'd like to think your daughter should have the potential to land a high-powered and/or lucrative career for herself.

For good or ill, that's my two cents' worth.

lma wrote: »
    with a m

I'm not suggesting these, but a couple of years ago someone I know decided to reach back two generations to their grandmothers and named their daughter Maureen Margaret. I found that odd because as it happens those are the names of my grandmothers.

Their explanation was that the names wouldn't suit a baby but would suit her when she grows up.

I also have female relatives, friends and workmates called: Mairéad, Marcella, Marissa, Miriam, Melissa, Molly, Michelle, Marie, Marianne and Monica.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,264 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gobnait. Hardly any Gobnaits around these days.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Drunk, hungover and feeling down; with little sleep and an increasing sense of doom, I sat down beside a young lady one day. We talked for a brief moment and when I got up to leave, I asked her her name. "Hope" she replied. I'd never met anybody called Hope before. I left with the word hope in my head and feeling less bleak because of it. Everything was going to be alright.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

I like "Eire"

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Nala is a nice, different girl's name. Can also be spelled Nahla. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

We wanted something a little different and strongly considered Freya. My wife just felt that she wasn't a Freya when she arrived.

Still like the name though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

The Peanut wrote: »
    We wanted something a little different and strongly considered Freya. My wife just felt that she wasn't a Freya when she arrived.

Still like the name though.

Should have said I think it's a Norse word that meant something like lady or goddess, so the meaning was appealing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,264 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Isolt wrote: »
    Nala is a nice, different girl's name. Can also be spelled Nahla. :)

https://www.nala.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

"lma wrote: »
    Love Rowan it's a unisex name but def more male in this part of world so afraid to risk it.

Growing up I knew a girl called Rowena, which is a nice /diff variation on the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭emz8

My little girl is Lyla. I also loved Nova, Lola, Bobbie, Iris and esmae.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Growing up I knew a girl called Rowena, which is a nice /diff variation on the name.

I love Rowena! Beautiful name

Advertisement