Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Different baby girl name ideas

Options
  • 28-06-2014 9:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hello
    Am expecting a baby soon and have my boys name but struggling with my girls names. Am looking for something short and different. Was just wondering if anybody knows of a good book or website or have any suggestions
    Many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

Zoe
    Sophia
    Hayley
    Charlie (Charlotte, Lottie)
    Sarah
    Sara
    Hannah

I can keep going but what kinda names do you like classic, Irish, new or unusual?

There's a baby naming thread its big but if you have time you may see something

• Registered Users Posts: 18 lma

Zoe
    Sophia
    Hayley
    Charlie (Charlotte, Lottie)
    Sarah
    Sara
    Hannah

I can keep going but what kinda names do you like classic, Irish, new or unusual?

There's a baby naming thread its big but if you have time you may see something

Will have a look at the baby naming thread many thanks. Am looking for an edgy different name. This is baby no 5 so our lists are either exhausted have gone off names for one reason or another or friends and family have used our options since.

lma wrote: »
    Will have a look at the baby naming thread many thanks. Am looking for an edgy different name. This is baby no 5 so our lists are either exhausted have gone off names for one reason or another or friends and family have used our options since.

Yep think you'll find something on the naming tread so.. And anyone who thinks they have something edgy/different might post here too.. Hope you find something... How long till your due?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Really wanted to name our little girl Skye,
    Also love
    Eve
    Willow
    Mia
    Ayla

I like Skye/Skylar..
    Also know a little girl called willow (my sons friend) so cute.. The other names they have is: cedar
    Darcey
    Dakota
    Pippa
    Morgan and of course
    Willow

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

My niece is Willow, I didn't like it at first but it suits her and is gorgeous :)

I have 3 girls - Addison, Saoirse and Ellen.

I love:
    Paige,
    Phoebe,
    Amelia,
    Emily,
    Grace.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,642 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I always wanted a Linnet. But only had 1 girl...so Daisy, (Nóinín) Treasa, Bonnie, and Clare - never happened!!

There are also Quality names, like Felicity, Verity...Joy...Grace...

Bible names tend to be well-worn, even over-used: far too many Sarahs around, for instance...

Old-fashioned English names are still slightly unusual: Avice, Edith, Philippa, Winifred.

With Irish ones you don't want to get into very eccentric spellings or pronunciations - (because they are a curse to a kid) but traditional ones are a little dated - Una, Nora, Síle, Bríd, Eilís, Máire. For this reason they are less common now and may have some vintage charm LOL

And I believe the Victorian names are very popular still: May, Rosie...Pearl and Ruby...how about a Trixie or a Queenie?

Just a few ideas...I used to love the Name Game, a serious parental privilege!

Great name suggestions, with a m

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Our little girl is Penny.

We also liked Erin, Lucy, Hope & Darcy.

Hello
    Am expecting a baby soon and have my boys name but struggling with my girls names. Am looking for something short and different. Was just wondering if anybody knows of a good book or website or have any suggestions
    Many thanks

With a m

• Advertisement

With two months to go the pressure is on! Like Darcy it's been on my lists a long time now. Loved Sadie but a family member without knowing gave it a dressing down. Hubby liked Zoë last time but my sister had it for her girl last month it was a boy. Came across Opal but a I can think of is the sweet. Esme Martha Nora and Tess written down but am I making her old before her time?! Love Rowan it's a unisex name but def more male in this part of world so afraid to risk it. Think am thinking too much at this stage!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

With two months to go the pressure is on! Like Darcy it's been on my lists a long time now. Loved Sadie but a family member without knowing gave it a dressing down. Hubby liked Zoë last time but my sister had it for her girl last month it was a boy. Came across Opal but a I can think of is the sweet. Esme Martha Nora and Tess written down but am I making her old before her time?! Love Rowan it's a unisex name but def more male in this part of world so afraid to risk it. Think am thinking too much at this stage!!!

I like Zara? Or Bella?? I would always think rowan was a boy! I think Tess is lovely

• Registered Users Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

My two favourite names for girls are Olivia and Ailbhe (pronounced Alva), I also quite like Alice.

Yes agree Rowan is def my boys name. Alice is lovely just the living next door to song would make me hesitate. Olivia Ailbhe Bella great names but sadly all used by friends. Finding the name game hard this time round as know it's my last little person.

Machaela, Olive, Holly, Annie, Ruth, Charlotte,
    I also like Blake for a girl or boy
    Know a girl who called her baby girl Joley, unusual but cute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Tess and Esme are lovely.

How about Mia? Popular but lovely and timeless.

I know a female Rowan...just saying....her sister is Willow, too...#newage

They could still have a Hazel or a Holly...but if its a boy I dunno what they would call him...Ash? Fir? Cedar?

Blake and Joley are unusual and cool. Mia is indeed timeless but a family name already. The search goes on!

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Alexis, Dominyka, Cerys "Keris" ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Roselm

Ada
    Juno

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Immy

I also wanted an M name and liked Mara and Mischa.

We went with Imogen in the end, planned on calling her Immy as a pet name but it has turned into Mim or Mimmy.

Also like the names Macy and Madison, Harlow is pretty cool too and sweet
    Penelope can be shortened to penny or nelly
    Maeve is also cute and simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Indie
    Camden
    Jasmine
    Lucy
    Kyra
    Ella
    Erin
    Evie
    Ellie
    Shauna
    Olivia

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Ivy

Ivy is cool. Met a baby Trudy at the weekend but it doesn't match our surname.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ceo

Ria
    Reena
    Lauren
    Blake
    Eva
    Jamie
    Lorna
    Brooke
    Lacey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭marie12

Robyn
    nancy
    jane
    Drew
    vivian or vivien
    edel

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

people quite often pick out names and then find that they don't suit the baby when they are born and go with something different.

you'll probably find that seeing the baby for the first time will inspire you towards a particular name. :)

that said we had very definite ideas about names, Christopher for a boy (first born son on my fathers side of the family has always been christopher) and Lily for a girl.

The only thing is that we have both now and we have no idea what to call the next one if we do have one (which is entirely possible), so we might well end up waiting till they are born and playing it by ear. :)

• Advertisement

I always say I have to meet my baby first before I can name them. My Dad thinks it's really funny and thinks it's my hormones ! My niece is Robyn she was to be an Emily but the baby born next to her a few mins earlier was Emily so they changed their minds. She is def a Robyn and not an Emily so does this suggest babies grow into their names?! Brooke I like but has been on my lists for all my pregnancies now so has lost it's sparkle.

Advertisement