Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You run with or without music?

Options
  • 28-06-2014 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭

Just curious to know what people prefer.

I'm on the fence about this. Sometimes I enjoy having some music to keep me busy and not bored, but other times I find that I get distracted from controlling my breathing and pace. My last few runs have been without music though, don't know how I didn't stop from boardness. :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

I always ran with music when I started, iPod died one day on a run, and that was the end of it! I don't listen to music any more it distracts me more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

Love music, love running, hate both together.

I like the relative peace when training, also music disrupts my rhythm.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Caprica

I would listen to music when training but never when I'm racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭ooter

Don't listen to music but would listen to podcasts like second captains,guardian football,always listen to marathon talk on my long weekend run.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Without - love the head space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 walan

I prefer without, but sometimes listen to music or podcasts if I need a bit of motivation (I really like the Runner Academy podcast). If you're running outside, it might be worth trying to mix up your route or running trails if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭kabuxa

walan wrote: »
    I prefer without, but sometimes listen to music or podcasts if I need a bit of motivation (I really like the Runner Academy podcast). If you're running outside, it might be worth trying to mix up your route or running trails if you can.

This is interesting.... I usually run without music because I usually run with someone (slowly ;0)) however.. now we are thinking about doing longer distances which means running alone and I am considering music. But the idea of podcasts is very good. How/where can I find the Running academy ones?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I've always ran with music except for when I ran in races.

When I ran in the races without music it felt strange. I usually didn't worry too much about breathing when running but without the music I could hear myself breathing heavy. I thought it was distracting. I think I got ok with it after a while.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

In the race yesterday a lot people wearing earphones at ridiculous volumes, if I can hear your music it is way too loud.

Also how are you supposed to hear an ambulance or follow steward instructions if you have music blaring in your ear?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I do run with music but only with one earbud in and volume turned down low. I run in the city so need to hear what's going on around me!

I prefer to run with music more because I always prefer to have music on, even when I'm at home doing nothing!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I used to always run, don't really anymore but when I didn't I used to listen to music.

Kinda depended on the mood I was in though, sometimes it was lovely to just listen to the birds and all the noises when I ran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭snaphook

I would listen to music if on a treadmill because of the monotony.

Never when running in the open. It's dangerous and I prefer to listen to the pitter patter of my feet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭pointer28

Never, ever in a race but I do listen to a lot of podcasts when I train.

I find music interrupts my rhythm too much when I run. It might be useful for hard intervals or such and I do find it great when on the turbo trainer but just not for everyday running.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭DublinArnie

It would really depend on the music as well I suppose. I can only listen to hard rock if I ever decide to train with music. What about you guys?

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Train with it, race without it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

ooter wrote: »
    Don't listen to music but would listen to podcasts like second captains,guardian football,always listen to marathon talk on my long weekend run.

Pretty much the same for me, podcasts rather than music, Freakonomics, This American Life, Radiolab, Irish Times Travel Show & of course MarathonTalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭not_quite_last

Tried to run with earphones, but after a while of running they just start falling out of my ears. I'd spend the rest of the time putting them back in only for them to fall out again later. So in the end gave up using them.

I focus more on technique and breathing now and thinking up cruel and unusual tortures for people who block the paths I run on and the people who don't clean up after their dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 55,082 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Only raced a few times but I would imagine that having music running through my ears when racing would affect my concentration. Total silence would be ideal. Being completely in the zone. Now, training is a different thing. I always have music when running for fitness/leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 walan

kabuxa wrote: »
    This is interesting.... I usually run without music because I usually run with someone (slowly ;0)) however.. now we are thinking about doing longer distances which means running alone and I am considering music. But the idea of podcasts is very good. How/where can I find the Running academy ones?

You can get it on itunes podcasts, on the website, or through an Android podcast app (e.g. Podcast Republic, there are probably lots of them).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

At a race last night, a huge amount of people using ipods and phones and even big Beats headphones!

Never ran with earphones, and probably never will. I'd hate to have to carry a phone/ipod or strap it to me and have wires wobbling about for the whole run, and if it was in a race, I would probably throw it in the ditch after a few 100m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,506 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Never ran with earphones, and probably never will. I'd hate to have to carry a phone/ipod or strap it to me and have wires wobbling about for the whole run, and if it was in a race, I would probably throw it in the ditch after a few 100m.
    That's why the good lord saw fit to invent Bluetooth. ;) I run a lot and get bored with my own company, so listen to a lot of podcasts. I never listen to music when racing. My podcast choices (similar to opus' list):

Mark Kermode and Simon Mayo's Film Review - Radio 5
    Friday Night Comedy - BBC Radio 4
    This American Life
    Stuff you should know
    Marathon Talk
    Freakonomics Radio
    Second Captains
    BBC Inside Science

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I would never wear headphones while training in company, or god forbid, racing. On my own I'll bring my trusty iPod shuffle, stuffed to the brim with metal. Great training music, although, as someone said, it can disrupt one's rhythm if one isn't careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,183 ✭✭✭crisco10

Listen to Podcasts myself. Generally on quite a low volume, I sort of tune in and out, very rarely listen to it with 100% attention though. Mainly just a bit of company on a long run. Podcasts are:

Marathon Talk
    Irishman Abroad
    Fighting Talk
    Desert Island Discs
    Freakonomics
    Stuff you missed in History Class
    More or Less: behind the Stats

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

Have never once ran with music.
    I think it would be too distracting and I'd be paranoid that I'd get mowed down by a cyclist coming behind me.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Ran with music for the first 6 months including my first half marathon in 2010, I've not run with music etc since. Headphones during a race is just stupid, dangerous and disconnects you from the experience of the race

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Definitely prefer without....just like the calmness and focusing on my breathing, not to mention being more aware of my surroundings.

Anytime I'm on a treadmill, though, I would definitely need music. Crushingly boring otherwise.

Definitely prefer without....just like the calmness and focusing on my breathing, not to mention being more aware of my surroundings.

Anytime I'm on a treadmill, though, I would definitely need music. Crushingly boring otherwise.

Don't go on a treadmill.

Well I don't very often at all, but if it's a choice between treadmill and no run at all (on occasion of absolutely miserable weather, say), I'll take the treadmill.

Well I don't very often at all, but if it's a choice between treadmill and no run at all (on occasion of absolutely miserable weather, say), I'll take the treadmill.

Weather too severe for running?

I am not familiar with such a thing.

• Advertisement

Right, well anyway I was just saying that I run without music apart from when on a treadmill, which is very rarely.

Advertisement