Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike fit done and delighted

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

mp31 wrote: »
    Even if this was available, will you get anything of value out of it?

IMO saving up for a proper fit is really the only way to go ... or DIY via google.

For someone like me who only cycles around 40-60km a week I would say yes it would. Even if just to check my seating position etc. The only thing I've ever tweaked is my seatpost.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

CramCycle wrote: »
    It would if you were just jumping up but the bike fit also helps transfer power more efficiently, stop bouncing around, less tiring pressure on your shoulders, all in all leading to a more sustainable, comfortable and if wanted, faster ride.

Same as borderfox, my times went up dramatically with no perceived extra effort, to the extent that training could not have accounted for the massive jump.
    two things to consider..
    1 : the placebo effect,
    2: the original bike setup that yourself and border fox had were so bad that all it would have taken to improve them would have been to speak with someone, ANYONE in a cycling club who would have been able to make improvements..

And if either of you are cycling for more than two days, there is something drastically wrong if you have been riding such a poor bike setup with all the information that is out there that there would be such dramatic improvements from tweaking the position. This is Especially so if you are members of Cycling clubs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

two things to consider..
    1 : the placebo effect,
    Quite possibly
    2: the original bike setup that yourself and border fox had were so bad that all it would have taken to improve them would have been to speak with someone, ANYONE in a cycling club who would have been able to make improvements..
    I didn't know it was bad, I got around plenty of audaxes on it, I was just going to start racing and though it may be beneficial. He pointed out all the faults with my set up that may be hard to see for the casual observer and even feel for the rider if he is used to it.
    And if either of you are cycling for more than two days, there is something drastically wrong if you have been riding such a poor bike setup with all the information that is out there that there would be such dramatic improvements from tweaking the position. This is Especially so if you are members of Cycling clubs.
    Why? I felt nothing wrong, I wasn't in pain, the distances I was doing were long so any tiredness was attributable to that. I had members of my club tell me the nose on my saddle was slanted but nothing other than that, most club riders won't notice the little issues other people unless they complain or are bouncing around the place. You are right in that a quick google will get most of the kinks out easily enough. I just didn't want to mess about. I went to a professional who done the job right, showed me where the errors were and talked me through the adjustments and most importantly for me, done it quickly. He even adjusted a few things that I hadn't seen on google that were beneficial.

A huge difference could be attributable to the unnoticed but the presumably more comfortable position meant I didn't freewheel as much as I used too, climbing was certainly easier, even thought the position he recommended was counter intuitive to me at the time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

I approached this as scientific as I could, I am a returning cyclist at 43, I raced until I was 25. I wanted to make sure I was setup as well as I could be on the bike. Did a bit of research and I could appreciate the dynamic element with the Retul method

Could be a bit of a placebo but the difference is so much in both the power and how it feels

• Registered Users Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Has anyone sucesfully done it themselves with just Google? Which did you use?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Regarding "general" comfort, is the length of the top tube one of the primary things of importance when trying out bikes for comfort, before buying? I know there is a lot to frame geometry, and so many different types/shapes/ratios, and then fine tuning the setup for the personal fit, but if I was to find a bike that I find comfortable from the reach/distance to handlebars, is that the right thing to look out for? And if I find something that I like, do I then take note of the top tube length?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I did the cleat fitting with them yesterday, have had a bit of knee pain lately so fingers crossed it will resolve it for the ROK. They've a good setup there. Very tempted to do a full bikefit with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 LemonAid

Got the Retul fit done too out at bikefitstudio.ie and I also got it done years ago from some guy in wicklow but didnt really feel great from that guy as it was so basic and still had discomfort but the retul one was very impressive and i feel a lot better on the bike now.no knee pain which was bad before Retul fixed me.I see the pro teams use this system too and for €180 (only about €20 more than static fits) i thought it was the bees knees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭2 Wheels Good

I did the cleat fitting with them yesterday, have had a bit of knee pain lately so fingers crossed it will resolve it for the ROK. They've a good setup there. Very tempted to do a full bikefit with them.
    I did the ROK on Saturday with no major side effects. The cleat fitting made a huge difference. I'd a bit of tenderness due to it being my first proper spin out with the new setup but nothing major. I'd highly recommend it for anyone, even those with a good bike setup. As it's the main connection with the bike it's important to get it right!

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

I've spent loads of money on bikes over the years, but by far, far
    the best money spent was €130 for a session with Aidan Hammond.

omri wrote: »
    Done it with him recently and could not be happier.

Is the shorter session enough or did you feel you would benefit from the extra hour for €160?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I brought two bikes for a bike fitting with Aidan Hammond in Kilmacanogue (near Bray) this morning. This was probably the best money I've spent cycling.

First he assesses you: flexibility, legs, hips, core, height, stand-over size, arm reach. I'm probably understating the physical assessment as he does a lot.
    You cycle your bike in the trainer and he adjusts. He records you on video. You wear tape with markers.
    It was nice to see the video. His software shows your body angles on screen, calculating the angles using the markers you wear, on screen on the left "before", on screen on the right "after" bike adjustments.
    My leg movement was ok shown against a red laser line, although I tended to be "heel in" slightly. My cleats did not need adjusting.

He fitted a longer stem on my "good" bike", and adjusted the brake/gear levers up a bit, and saddle height higher. He noted my seatpost/saddle combination would be better slightly further back, but my saddle didn't allow more adjustment. I'll get a seatpost with a bit of layback to get into the ideal position (for me).

I was too cramped before. In the "after" video you could see the improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,887 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

How much does he charge?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

diomed wrote: »
    I brought two bikes for a bike fitting with Aidan Hammond in Kilmacanogue (near Bray) this morning. This was probably the best money I've spent cycling.

First he assesses you: flexibility, legs, hips, core, height, stand-over size, arm reach. I'm probably understating the physical assessment as he does a lot.
    You cycle your bike in the trainer and he adjusts. He records you on video. You wear tape with markers.
    It was nice to see the video. His software shows your body angles on screen, calculating the angles using the markers you wear, on screen on the left "before", on screen on the right "after" bike adjustments.
    My leg movement was ok shown against a red laser line, although I tended to be "heel in" slightly. My cleats did not need adjusting.

He fitted a longer stem on my "good" bike", and adjusted the brake/gear levers up a bit, and saddle height higher. He noted my seatpost/saddle combination would be better slightly further back, but my saddle didn't allow more adjustment. I'll get a seatpost with a bit of layback to get into the ideal position (for me).

I was too cramped before. In the "after" video you could see the improvement.

Does his stuff do the sideways measurement as well? Like the way they do it on http://www.bikefitstudio.ie?

I don't know which one to go for. That report that bike fit studio seem to do covers everything. Have you gone to both?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,539 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

C-Shore wrote: »
    Does his stuff do the sideways measurement as well? Like the way they do it on http://www.bikefitstudio.ie?

I don't know which one to go for. That report that bike fit studio seem to do covers everything. Have you gone to both?

When I went he done analysis from the side and the back

Advertisement