Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike fit done and delighted

Options
  • 27-06-2014 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Finally got a bike fit done today. Very pleased with the results. Never knew how bad my posture was cycling untill today. I was told I might as well of been riding a hybrid. Its opened my eyes to how small details make a big difference.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭midonogh

I've spent loads of money on bikes over the years, but by far, far
    the best money spent was €130 for a session with Aidan Hammond.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Went up to Bike Fit in Ballyboughal today and found it excellent, going out for a comparison spin tomorrow so will know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭BMKN

Its well worth it. I had to go from a 100mm stem to a 130mm and dropp my top tube

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭martin.mcevoy

Was it a Retul fit or something else entirely?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

BMKN wrote: »
    I was told I might as well of been riding a hybrid. Its opened my eyes to how small details make a big difference.

Elaborate please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭furiousox

CJC999 wrote: »
    Elaborate please.

Ok.
    It's might as well have been, not might as well of been.

CPL 593H

CJC999 wrote: »
    Elaborate please.
    Because of my angle on my torso I had a 56degree angle and a hybrid is similar or something. Cant really remember exact degrees

Was it a Retul fit or something else entirely?

Mine was Retül, great experience and worked really well for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭omri

midonogh wrote: »
    I've spent loads of money on bikes over the years, but by far, far
    the best money spent was €130 for a session with Aidan Hammond.

Done it with him recently and could not be happier.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭C-Shore

Borderfox wrote: »
    Went up to Bike Fit in Ballyboughal today and found it excellent, going out for a comparison spin tomorrow so will know more.

Is that the retul one? Is there a website?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,916 ✭✭✭furiousox

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Mine was Retül, great experience and worked really well for me.

How much did it cost Borderfox?

€180 for the fit and €25 for the Look Keo fit

Went out today on a circuit I did last week out and back 18k and after the bikefit I was three minutes faster and average speed went up from 25km to 29km.

Felt really comfortable for the whole ride so a result for me, before I was very fidgety on the bike and legs felt dead when out. Small steps for me with asthma

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

I did the €50 basic fit at the Edge recently and the difference was huge. Just as important as the bike adjustments were the tips they gave me on how I should sit, hold my head and grip the handlebars. Well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

BailMeOut wrote: »
    I did the €50 basic fit at the Edge recently and the difference was huge. Just as important as the bike adjustments were the tips they gave me on how I should sit, hold my head and grip the handlebars. Well worth the money.

I bought my trusty hybrid in The Edge. They did a mini-fit on the spot, and even loaned me a bike carrier to take it home on the car. Strangely I just noticed my bike from their is a 52 not a 54 when I'm five foot eight. They obviously did a good job with it because I've never had an issue with the way I ride. They even advised me to go for a €100 cheaper bike as it was a better fit despite only spending €500 or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

Went out today on a circuit I did last week out and back 18k and after the bikefit I was three minutes faster and average speed went up from 25km to 29km.

Felt really comfortable for the whole ride so a result for me, before I was very fidgety on the bike and legs felt dead when out. Small steps for me with asthma

Wow that's some increase in average speed - is all of that due to the fit or is some of that due to the weather e.g. more favourable wind for the second spin?

That has to be just a once off either tail wind on way there and wind happend to died down. To go from 25-29 takes alot of effort I doubt it was the bike fit. But how u felt was. Id be interested to see the difference a few rides along the same route would make.

It's an out and back draggy circuit that I used, before the bikefit I couldn't get the power down and with the changes I can. Out for another spin tonight and feels much better to my old set up. Climbing better to in the saddle.

It's down in the time and in black and white as far as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

It's an out and back draggy circuit that I used, before the bikefit I couldn't get the power down and with the changes I can. Out for another spin tonight and feels much better to my old set up. Climbing better to in the saddle.

It's down in the time and in black and white as far as far as I can see.
    Doubt if the bike fit would be the only factor, if you had a power meter it would be black and white. Glad to hear your happy with it all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Is there anywhere in Dublin city that does a cheap basic version of this? Around €50 mark?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I had a retul bike fit with http://www.bikefitstudio.ie/ and am impressed with the setup and the process. As it turned out I had mine pretty well dialled in and the only changes were a slight pushing back of my left cleat to align it with my right, and to increase the saddle height by 1.5cm or so. That said my arse had been getting sore on the bike, and since the fit I have had no issues, I put that down to the change in saddle height. I recently did the Tour of Omagh 3 Day Stage race and my arse felt fine for the duration. I have 2 identical frames which I bought recently, so this one fit will do me for years to come, and its nice to know I have it spot on.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭mp31

.ak wrote: »
    Is there anywhere in Dublin city that does a cheap basic version of this? Around €50 mark?

Even if this was available, will you get anything of value out of it?

IMO saving up for a proper fit is really the only way to go ... or DIY via google.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Its a miracle!!! or you could Check your garmin or whatever computer that you are using.. the numbers don't add up! from some calculations it appears that to make the improvements in speed claimed the improvement in time would be closer to 6 minutes than the 3 minutes that you mention.

Something doesn't quite add up???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

mp31 wrote: »
    Even if this was available, will you get anything of value out of it?

for me yes. I did a €50 fit at the Edge (Cork) and the outcome and difference was huge. They took photos before and after so I could see how the tweaks changed my sitting position and angle of my back and legs and the process took about an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Would also be interested in a €50 fit in Dublin or Wicklow, I just need a rough guide, my back gets sore after 10k and I cant seem to get the saddle in a position to stop it, dont think Im getting all the power I should be out of my legs either.

Read both sets of figures back 0.7km longer on strava

16.97km 40.29 minutes average speed 25.1kmph
    After fit
    17.7km 36.34 average speed 29.1kmph

I checked the heart rate trace for both and it's average 160 with a high of 187

Saddle higher by 2cm
    Forward by 1cm
    Stem raised by 1cm
    Bars rotated to lift hoods up
    Cleats adjusted

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭12 sprocket

Read both sets of figures back 0.7km longer on strava

16.97km 40.29 minutes average speed 25.1kmph
    After fit
    17.7km 36.34 average speed 29.1kmph

I checked the heart rate trace for both and it's average 160 with a high of 187

Saddle higher by 2cm
    Forward by 1cm
    Stem raised by 1cm
    Bars rotated to lift hoods up
    Cleats adjusted

Confusing to say the least, so it looks like it was a very unscientific probably unreliable comparison before and after your bikefit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Confusing to say the least, so it looks like it was a very unscientific probably unreliable comparison before and after your bikefit.

A 25kph to 29kph increase in average speed would require a @ 40-50% increase in power, unlikely a bike fit could contribute that much one would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Inquitus wrote: »
    A 25kph to 29kph increase in average speed would require a @ 40-50% increase in power, unlikely a bike fit could contribute that much one would think.

I agree. I do a 26km training loop and an increase of 1kmph in average speed takes a considerable amount of extra effort to achieve. 4kmph would be a mammoth increase!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Inquitus wrote: »

It would if you were just jumping up but the bike fit also helps transfer power more efficiently, stop bouncing around, less tiring pressure on your shoulders, all in all leading to a more sustainable, comfortable and if wanted, faster ride.

Same as borderfox, my times went up dramatically with no perceived extra effort, to the extent that training could not have accounted for the massive jump.

Advertisement