Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Opinions on flu & whooping cough vaccinations when pregnant?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

I don't get you? Feels like its missing a word.
    "There is a research which shows that asthma occurs amongst vaccinated people then amongst unvaccinated. Study was done with children, but that apply to adults as well. "

I didn't get the flu vaccines until I developed adult asthma so if that is suggesting that the vaccine caused it then that is most certainly not the case.

One way or another I am not getting into an argument about it. All my medical advice (doctor, consultant and nurses) is to get the vaccine and I will continue to do so. The government even provides it free to me because of my meds!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Martx

I don't get you? Feels like its missing a word.
    "There is a research which shows that asthma occurs amongst vaccinated people then amongst unvaccinated. Study was done with children, but that apply to adults as well. "

I didn't get the flu vaccines until I developed adult asthma so if that is suggesting that the vaccine caused it then that is most certainly not the case.

One way or another I am not getting into an argument about it. All my medical advice (doctor, consultant and nurses) is to get the vaccine and I will continue to do so. The government even provides it free to me because of my meds!

I'm not saying that flu shot will cause asthma.Vaccines are not free, the taxpayer is paying for them. Medical staff are not taking flu shots as they should:

irishhealth. com/article.html?id=22818

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭margo321

I know we worry about taking any medication or vaccines but if my child was the unlucky one to get whooping cough I'd never forgive myself. I saw a few weeks ago on the news they're an epidemic of in California. It looks awful. My family has all being getting the flu vaccine years as my dad has cancer and his dr recommended we all get it. We've never had any side effects. I'll take my dr's advice and get the whopping vaccine booster too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Martx wrote: »
    I'm not saying that flu shot will cause asthma.Vaccines are not free, the taxpayer is paying for them. Medical staff are not taking flu shots as they should:

irishhealth. com/article.html?id=22818

Look, you clearly have an agenda. You've just joined Boards, you've got 16 posts and all of them are relating to your anti vaccine campaign. I don't think it's in any way helpful, kind or constructive coming on to a pregnant woman's forum bleating on with your own agenda and attempting to scare monger in the process. Women who have availed of both the flu jab and the whooping cough vaccine have done so after their own research and consulting with medical professionals, their baby's wellbeing and good health at the forefront of all our minds. Your contribution isn't helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

So,is it a gamble? Because there's no proof that it's safe or unsafe. They could check how effective and safe it is by doing questionnaire for already vaccinated women, or is that unethical?
    Who would you trust, a manufacturer's information or GP's? If product information leaflet says that it may cause death and GP says otherwise, would you take it?

Retrospectively analysing data for vaccination of pregnant women is how vaccines are generally assessed for safety and efficacy. Let's not forget that these vaccines are already tested fully for administration to the general population so they have been determined as safe in that regard. Is there a risk? Sure, but when I weigh up the risk of complication due to flu (high risk) versus complication due to vaccination (extremely low risk) then the decision is a little more straightforward.

• Advertisement

Merkin wrote: »
    Look, you clearly have an agenda. You've just joined Boards, you've got 16 posts and all of them are relating to your anti vaccine campaign. I don't think it's in any way helpful, kind or constructive coming on to a pregnant woman's forum bleating on with your own agenda and attempting to scare monger in the process. Women who have availed of both the flu jab and the whooping cough vaccine have done so after their own research and consulting with medical professionals, their baby's wellbeing and good health at the forefront of all our minds. Your contribution isn't helpful.

Did I say,don't get vaccinated? I said read it, before taking decision. If you have problem with people who have different opinion then yours, it's not my fault. I don't see a reason why I should blindly trust doctors. How come that medical staff are not taking flu shots as they should? Don't you think that they have a reason for that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Jerrica

Did I say,don't get vaccinated? I said read it, before taking decision. If you have problem with people who have different opinion then yours, it's not my fault. I don't see a reason why I should blindly trust doctors. How come that medical staff are not taking flu shots as they should? Don't you think that they have a reason for that?

You say you don't see a reason why you should trust doctors and then you refer to an article describing a lack of uptake... would (your) logic not say you would distrust their judgement in that decision and more should get vaccinated? The article offers absolutely no explanation as to any possible reasons for the lack of uptake so any suggestions you or I may make are pure conjecture (and frankly conspiracy theorist).

Anyway, this thread is about the flu jab in pregnant women so here's an article from five days ago that's more on topic: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSKBN0FE1YU20140709?irpc=932

Jerrica wrote: »
    You say you don't see a reason why you should trust doctors and then you refer to an article describing a lack of uptake... would (your) logic not say you would distrust their judgement in that decision and more should get vaccinated? The article offers absolutely no explanation as to any possible reasons for the lack of uptake so any suggestions you or I may make are pure conjecture (and frankly conspiracy theorist).

Anyway, this thread is about the flu jab in pregnant women so here's an article from five days ago that's more on topic:

Lack of uptake is because of refusals to get vaccinated. Doctors and nurses who are against it, have to keep their heads low and mouth shut. People call conspiracy theory on everything what is against public opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Lack of uptake is because of refusals to get vaccinated.

You are spouting utter nonsense. I see you got warnings and bans over in Health Sciences based on your spurious and ill-founded assertions and theories.

I suggest you go and buy some stamps and envelopes and get busy writing to all the various drug governing bodies and health research boards with your claims. Or else make yourself a little placard and stand outside FDA headquarters to occupy your time. That or maybe make your way over to the Conspiracy Theories forum. :rolleyes:

Merkin wrote: »
    You are spouting utter nonsense. I see you got warnings and bans over in Health Sciences based on your spurious and ill-founded assertions and theories.

I suggest you go and buy some stamps and envelopes and get busy writing to all the various drug governing bodies and health research boards with your claims. Or else make yourself a little placard and stand outside FDA headquarters to occupy your time. That or maybe make your way over to the Conspiracy Theories forum. :rolleyes:

Got banned for asking wrong questions :D There are people making claims for vaccine injury and they win court cases, if you think that court decisions are based on conspiracy theory's then it's your problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

Closed for review by a mod later this evening.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement