Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

L Preview

Options
  • 26-06-2014 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I thought it would be a good idea to create a L Preview thread as it is available on Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 (WiFi).

The factory images are available now. (Link)

I'll have a look later on this evening, hopefully by then others have tried it and reported back.
    Will it work on the 2012 edition or just the new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,912 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭beardo81

Not going to get the preview on my phone, but does anyone else think the new on screen software keys look awful? Playstation throw backs or something. I'm not impressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭IrishStuff09

Just booted up now on my Nexus 7, will post screenshots and feedback in a bit!
    Was surprisingly very easy to install too. (Forgotten all my knowledge of adb and fastboot)

EDIT: Some here, not really sure what to test out. Any ideas? :P

Settings http://i.imgur.com/TkDyrEk.png
    Recent Apps (chrome integration) http://i.imgur.com/QGDIIST.jpg
    Lockscreen w/ Notifications http://i.imgur.com/TB9hrUW.jpg
    Notification Bar http://i.imgur.com/WpMvEJN.jpg
    Quick Toggles in the Notification Bar http://i.imgur.com/IyBPQ3U.png

Links, since the images were too large.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭Dman001

Love the new multitasking, and finally auto-rotate on/off in the Notification bar!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,452 ✭✭✭droidman123

urrgghhh the software keys are dire!

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭DERPY DERPFACE

Is there nothing in settings that says Android version 5, kernel and all the other technical stuff?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I'm also not fond of the new on screen buttons.

Might install this on my 2013 Nexus 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Dying to try this but I'm going to wait for root so I can restore my app data.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Just installing now!
    Damn you ADB :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

Thanks for making the thread. A part of me was considering doing so yesterday, but I couldn't figure if there was one already, or if it was for a particular reason.

I've not got the devices, but I'm going to fire the image up in Andy or Bluestacks and give it a whirl.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

Cheers Irishstuff for the pics , I won't be trying it on my N5 but I've a N7 2013 coming next week so I'll try that. Is there much involved?

Re the above: Honestly, it was easier than I expected to install. Just run command prompt in the platform-tools folder of the SDK, and run the flash-all.bat file from the factory image when the phone is in fastboot mode.

Storagehttp://i.imgur.com/a8cnhfi.png
    Batteryhttp://i.imgur.com/2tEzIEA.png
    Abouthttp://i.imgur.com/13V14Ge.png
    Batteryhttp://i.imgur.com/9LqXjLx.png

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Did you need to root or unlock the bootloader?

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Did you need to root or unlock the bootloader?

Just unlock the boot loader, no root available for it at the moment. Chanfire over at XDA is working on it come Monday, so I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Just unlock the boot loader, no root available for it at the moment. Chanfire over at XDA is working on it come Monday, so I hear.

Ah brilliant, I thought as much.

I'll wait a week or two until more of the bugs have been ironed out and give it a shot. It looks absolutely beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

The System Dump has happened. XDA

Android L Apps:
    Separate apps:
    Bulk download:

Google Play Services 5.0:
    Playstore (Velvet) APK:
    Private Apps:
    Keyboard: (APK)
    Wallpapers:
    Fonts: (not a flashable zip)
    Ringtones and alarms: (not a flashable zip)
    Bootanimation: (not a flashable zip)

WORKING APPS
    -Google Home
    -Google Now
    -Keyboard
    -Camera
    -Youtube
    -Play music
    -Playservices
    -Search
    -Sound search
    -Gmail
    -Clock
    etc

NOT WORKING FOR NOW
    -Calculator
    -Chrome
    -Google Earth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

Stuck on L on my nexus 5, call me old fashioned, but I didnt like the look of it.
    DPI is terrible on stock I find, Im too used to Slim Kat rom, which gives the appearance of a much higher resolution as DPI is configured throughout the whole UI. So went back pretty fast :-p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭projectgtr

For those thinking of putting it on a daily device might want to have a quick look through the list from XDA of non working apps, still gonna try it on my N7 when it arrives :D

Engadget
    Firefox
    Wordbase
    Baconreader
    Twitter
    HBO Go
    Signal Check (causes phone to reboot)
    Facebook (Posting Comments section is messed up) [Although if you go from the Notification Menu to post a Comment then it isn't messed up]
    DropBox (Not working for some)
    Photoshop Touch for Phone
    Hangouts MMS (Using ChompSMS off of WiFi sends and receives pictures just fine)
    Netflix (streaming issues for some)
    Hulu+ (streaming issues)
    Plex (streaming issues) Plexpass is said to be working
    Vonage
    Wunderlist
    Helium (causes phone to restart)
    Neutron Music Player
    Square
    Light Flow (Light Manager Works and is a good Alternate)
    VLC Player
    Vine
    Flashfox
    Dolphin
    Docs and Sheets (refuse to install error -112)
    Slack
    DicePlayer
    NBA Jam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Dman001 wrote: »
    Love the new multitasking, and finally auto-rotate on/off in the Notification bar!!
    With CM you've been able to add a tile to do that for a long time now. It's very handy alright.

urrgghhh the software keys are dire!

Yep hopefully they revert to the old back button for actual release. That sideways triangle looks awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Kavrocks

murphaph wrote: »
    With CM you've been able to add a tile to do that for a long time now. It's very handy alright.
    Or keep stock Android and use Xposed and GravityBox. Although it'd be nice to not have to use Xposed or custom roms for these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Kavrocks wrote: »
    Or keep stock Android and use Xposed and GravityBox. Although it'd be nice to not have to use Xposed or custom roms for these things.
    Actually I just looked at my stock N7 and it also has that tile. I just assumed it was a CM feature. Not sure when they added that to stock. I'd also love to be able to leave stock on my phone but there's things I really use in CM that aren't yet part of stock. Profile switching based on WiFi network being one. Most of the things CM adds are sort of obvious to me and I often wonder why they aren't just part of stock.

Do people think we'll get a port of the preview for the nexus 4 anytime soon or at all?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I'd love to play with this but I have a HTC One M7. I'm hoping someone make a Rom with this version - that would finally give me a reason to root. Is that likely any time soon?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,850 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

It looks very white. Not sure I'll like it from the screenshots I've seen so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Zascar wrote: »
    I'd love to play with this but I have a HTC One M7. I'm hoping someone make a Rom with this version - that would finally give me a reason to root. Is that likely any time soon?

I have an N5 but I couldn't use and unfinished ROM like that for a daily driver tbh....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,444 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I used it for about 20 hours, before going to something called SlimKat that I saw mentioned by another user, I think in this thread.

TBH, L preview really isn't a daily driver at this stage in Dev, which is a bit sad, but I'm back on 4.4.4 now with this SlimKat and I'm really liking it.

Regarding L preview:
    For those who like social media, Twitter won't open and FB has transparency issues if you open the comments.
    My BOI app could open but FC'd after trying to register the account.
    Calendar wouldn't open :pac:
    Hotspot tethering would result in no active connection on the tethered device and then once you closed tethering, your device would no longer have an internet connection.
    Swiftkey, plus I assume other keyboards that have a popup when buttons are held, would have transparency issues.

That's just a few bad points that I remember.

There's also the positives of course:
    I really liked the card overlay of active programs, it just needs a close all button!
    When charging, if you activated the lock screen, down the bottom it would show how long left until fully charged in minutes or hours if above 1.
    Conversely, when you checked the battery page during discharging, it would estimate how long you had left until the battery dies.
    I liked the notifications. Both in the lock screen and the new pull down bar.

I'm guessing that they may have more previews as time goes on, so I'll be eager to check them out as they progress towards the finished article.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

This is a developer preview. lots of things are going to be broken for your favorite apps.

Advertisement