Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Today I saw.....

Options
  • 25-06-2014 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭

Was travelling on the M50 this evening between the Ballymun and Finglas exits when I saw a woman cycling with a baby on the back and what looked like a 9/10 year old girl following behind on her own bike.

This was during rush hour traffic and fairly heavy rain so I was fairly shocked at what I was seeing and had to do a double take !

It's not too uncommon to see a really idiotic lone cyclist do this on the motorway occasionally so I wouldn't normally be too shocked by that. The presence of the two kids however though and that this woman had made the conscious decision to cycle with two children, on the busiest road in the country, at one of the busiest times and in fairly poor visibility/weather conditions is just completely beyond insane and reckless !

Did anyone else see this crazy lady !?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Its totally illegal. I hope she is brought before the courts and fined as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

I bet she didn't even pay road tax, Joe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

You called it in to that traffic line I assume?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭Lucifer MorningStar

No, I'm not in Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

What a silly bastard!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This time someone should actually think of the children..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

Were you getting from a to b aaabbb?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭aaabbbb

FearDark wrote: »
    Its totally illegal. I hope she is brought before the courts and fined as much as possible.

Indeed. Normally I wouldn't pay much heed, call her a ****ing idiot and keep going. But with the two kids with her I really really really hope she got caught.

I actually wanted to phone it in so badly but I'd no credit :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,148 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Yeah I saw her. Didn't feel the need to start a thread though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

aaabbbb wrote: »
    Indeed. Normally I wouldn't pay much heed, call her a ****ing idiot and keep going. But with the two kids with her I really really really hope she got caught.

I think in this case you'd have been forgiven for making an emergency call

:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I'm sure somebody rang Gardai about it. I've seen it before alright never with children though, In the instances I've witnessed motorists were laying on the horn big time, flashing lights and shouting out the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭urabell

You should have rang bord gais immediately, don't assume someone else will.

You don't need credit to make an emergency call, but you already know that and just needed even a pathetic and incorrect excuse to justify your abdication.

wexie wrote: »
    I think in this case you'd have been forgiven for making an emergency call

:mad:

I'd actually forgotten about the free emergency calls thing :o
    Were you getting from a to b aaabbb?

Doctors to Pharmacy so more like d to p but you were close ;)
    I'm sure somebody rang Gardai about it. I've seen it before alright never with children though, In the instances I've witnessed motorists were laying on the horn big time, flashing lights and shouting out the window.

Hopefully they did. I actually can't help but wonder what possessed her to do this with two kids in tow !?

I mean by herself I'd get it. Although she's still a crazy idiot who's taking a "shortcut". But with two kids and do be doing this is just on another level of madness, especially when one of the children is cycling themselves.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭knird evol

You don't need credit to make an emergency call, but you already know that and just needed even a pathetic and incorrect excuse to justify your abdication.

She quite correctly did not make an emergency call as the incident was not an emergency.

She also wisely avoided using a mobile phone while driving. Which is a dangerous habit.

She was right not to pull into the hard shoulder to make a phone call as the hard shoulder is only for emergencies and is also frequentd by cyclists and so is a dangerous place to drive into.

'Abdication of responsibility' is a troublesome concept as morality is subjective and relative.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

knird evol wrote: »
    She quite correctly did not make an emergency call as the incident was not an emergency.

She also wisely avoided using a mobile phone while driving. Which is a dangerous habit.

She was right not to pull into the hard shoulder to make a phone call as the hard shoulder is only for emergencies and is also frequentd by cyclists and so is a dangerous place to drive into.

'Abdication of responsibility' is a troublesome concept as morality is subjective and relative.

Eh, it was an ongoing situation that required an immediate Garda response. That's how the garda themselves define when/when not to use 999.

required an immediate Garda response.

That's nonsense. Which you know as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

It's your fault OP - you almost pushed them onto that road and are a bad person. Lol.

I was actually a passenger so I could have made the call safely

Nah I've just a pathetically silly memory and initial reactions to these situations. I've actually not called 999 for the same reason before when I was involved an actual emergency.

What a lot of bollocks. There is nothing subjective or relative about people being in a potentially lethal situation and it is indeed an emergency very suitable for a call from the nearest safe place the OP could reach.

• Advertisement

Those kids were in substantial immediate danger. Sounds like an emergency to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

In those situations where you're unsure, it's better to call anyway and let the emergency services decide whether it needs attending or not. It's what they're good at.

I was actually a passenger so I could have made the call safely

Nah I've just a pathetically silly memory and initial reactions to these situations. I've actually not called 999 for the same reason before when I was involved an actual emergency.

Yet you could remember every detail of the situation well enough to write an account. I really don't believe you didn't remember that an emergency call would be free.

• Site Banned Posts: 10 Sellecks_Tache

urabell wrote: »
    You should have rang bord gais immediately, don't assume someone else will.

Landlords and old people should be extra vigilant. Carbon Monoxide IS a silent killer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Candie wrote: »
    Those kids were in substantial immediate danger. Sounds like an emergency to me.

Ah shure....what's the worst that could happen really?

;)

a potentially lethal situation

I think you need to ramp up the melodrama a bit more there precious.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭MattD1349

Hardly surprising this happened. The level of ignorance displayed by some road users is staggering at times. Yesterday I saw a guy cycling over Sally's Bridge towards O'Donovan road with one hand on the handle bars & in his other hand was cradled a young child no more than 3 years old. Cycling after them was a boy I'd put no older than 6-7 years old. Couple that with going through the red lights at the south circular road & you have kamikaze potential.

I was that taken aback I never rang the guards. A surreal response to a surreal situation. Always thought I'd know how to react instinctively but I guess you never know do you.

MattD1349 wrote: »
    Hardly surprising this happened. The level of ignorance displayed by some road users is staggering at times. Yesterday I saw a guy cycling over Sally's Bridge towards O'Donovan road with one hand on the handle bars & in his other hand was cradled a young child no more than 3 years old. Cycling after them was a boy I'd put no older than 6-7 years old. Couple that with going through the red lights at the south circular road & you have kamikaze potential.

I was that taken aback I never rang the guards. A surreal response to a surreal situation. Always thought I'd know how to react instinctively but I guess you never know do you.

If my Mum hadn't been with me too I would have definitely assumed I was imagining things !
    Pugsly wrote: »
    As far as I'm concerned OP if you weren't arsed doing anything about it you shouldn't have bothered your arse starting a thread to gossip about it.

Forgot you can make emergency calls without credit my arse.

Trust me I did. Embarrassingly enough its not the first time either. I've a broken nose to show for that !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Must be the day for it it something because i saw a guy with a girl who couldn't have been more than 9 years old as a pillion passenger on his motorbike this afternoon, this was in traffic that was moving in the 80-100kph range. Plus she was only wearing shorts which is just retarded for anyone on a motorbike.

My friend was driving at the time and i was a passenger and we both did a double-take as we drove past them. I rang the local police station straight away and they said they'd look into it.

Seriously though, i'm not easily shocked but i had trouble believing what i was seeing. If that was his daughter she should just have been taken off him immediately because he is obviously too stupid to raise a child.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

Trust me I did. Embarrassingly enough its not the first time either. I've a broken nose to show for that !

I deleted my post as I figured its not my place to be telling anyone what they should or shouldn't post.

But tbh I don't buy your story.

Advertisement