Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre-marriage course query

Options
  • 24-06-2014 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

Any ideas/stories that I could tell a priest to get out of doing a pre-marriage course?

I have been living with my girlfriend 3 years and we both feel we don't need to do this course, also it would save us a few bob as we are stretched enough with the wedding.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Don't get married in a church?

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MetHerInSolas

Brilliant!

Why didn't I think of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭Typer Monkey

Seems the obvious answer if you don't want to play by their rules

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭kkcatlou

Would you not have a civil ceremony instead of a church wedding if you don't want to stick by the rules that go with a church wedding?

Although the €100 you save by not doing the course will go towards paying the registrar/ renting a venue for a civil ceremony anyway.... And the few hours you'll save by not going will probably go into planning the civil ceremony anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

I really didn't want to do one of myself but we signed up for the day course (Saturday) in Old Hollow's. I'm not religious at all but it was grand, got a lunch out of it, mst people there were of the same opinion as myself (an nessecary evil) and we were out the boor by 4pm, was grand. No big deal to keep the OH happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If you want to have a Catholic church wedding there are things you need to do, a premarriage course is one of them. Yes its an extra expense and a bit of a waste of time but if you really want your church wedding you don't have an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

<Yoda>

Cake. Have it & eat it you cannot.

</Yoda>

• Registered Users Posts: 20 grace80

There are no ideas/ stories you can make up to get out of it as the courses are run all year round all over the country! You're priest will assume you will be free to attend one somewhere at some stage.

We thought it was a bit of a money spinning exercise and waste of time but at the end of the day, if you want to get married in a Catholic church and your priest is insisting on it, you'll just have to do it. No way out I'm afraid!

As other posters have said, if you are that against the idea and can't afford to pay the €100 - €200, have a civil ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Any ideas/stories that I could tell a priest to get out of doing a pre-marriage course?

I have been living with my girlfriend 3 years and we both feel we don't need to do this course,.

I was with my then girlfriend for over double that and still found the course interesting and relevant.

You'll probably squander far more money for your wedding...
    yet this is one of the few things you actually spend money on for your marraige.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

You'll learn communication techniques and have some interesting discussions. It's good thing to do to prepare for the actual marriage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Me and my fiancé also found it really interesting and we've known each other 10 years. Just because you've lives together 3 years doesn't mean you won't learn something new and useful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Dietsquirt

Myself and my wife did the course last year, complete waste of one and half days.

The nail on the head was when the priest, a 40 year old virgin, began dishing out advice on having kids. Laughable.

No way out of it that I know of.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

I have been living with my girlfriend 3 years and we both feel we don't need to do this course, also it would save us a few bob as we are stretched enough with the wedding.

It is not a requirement to be done though they tend not to tell you that, a fussy priest can insist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why don't you think you don't need to do the pre-marriage course, OP?

I've said it before: Makes me laugh when couples are prepared to lash out 000's on the right venue, the dress, the food, clothes, flowers, favours, chocolate fountain, chip vans and all sorts. But when it comes to money for the church, money for the priest to marry them, it's then you hear the squawks of protest!

I even saw a recent post asking why they had to pay E200 to get married, and thought it was a 'money-making' exercise! :eek:

As Typer Monkey says: If you want to get married in a pretty church by a priest, then you need to take the pre-marriage course. I've NEVER heard of a priest who didn't insist on one. Most of them have to be approved as well. End of. Don't want to? Then marry in a civil ceremony. But it'll still cost E200...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

Will you not feel like a total fraud standing in front of the priest and all your loved ones on the biggest day of your life promising to do things you've no intention of doing!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Just suck it up and do it.

Myself & my husband were together 7 years before doing the course. I found it interesting but you have to go in with an open mind, not sure if that's possible based on your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

No-one's relationship is that perfect that they wouldn't benefit from a little pre-marriage counselling :) We were living together longer than you and got a lot out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Donalmiller

Is it compulsory? When the priest asked us we said we intended on doing it but haven't actually gotten around to it. No one has asked us since and we are due to be married soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Donalmiller

Is it compulsory? When the priest asked us we said we intended on doing it but haven't actually gotten around to it. No one has asked us since and we are due to be married soon.

Just spotted an online one. Maybe that might be an option?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

The priest needs proof the course has been done in order to complete the canonical paperwork. You'd better check, and book in to get one done ASAP if you need to. And I doubt an online one will cut it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Ardeehey

Be careful what course you pick as the church only officially recognise courses ran by Accord and Avalon, most priests wont accept the credentials of all of the others...in other words the church probably have a hand those two organisations and make money no doubt too

• Registered Users Posts: 20 grace80

Ardeehey wrote: »
    Be careful what course you pick as the church only officially recognise courses ran by Accord and Avalon, most priests wont accept the credentials of all of the others...in other words the church probably have a hand those two organisations and make money no doubt too

I think Accord is the only course they make money from. We were about to book the Avalon course (it's cheaper and shorter) and when we mentioned it to the priest, he insisted we do the Accord one instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭foggy

Our priest did not insist on us doing it, but we have had a few meetings with him instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

it depends on the priest and the parish. Some insist on a particular course being done too, so don't just do one and expect it to be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

When we spoke to our priest a few months ago you outlined that the Dublin Archdiocese had communicated to all priests in the diocese to insist on the pre-marriage course. Some, I am sure, don't follow the orders, but our own priest is and specifically required the Accord course.

Anyway, we have no issue with it - would prefer not to do it - but when in Rome and all that...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

Locally, if you're a regular mass goer, you don't have to do the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

As some others have said you should do the pre-marriage course. I'm not very religious but my other half is so we're having a church ceremony and I was reluctant to do the pre-marriage course, however it had to be done so we did it. And I really enjoyed it. There was hardly anything about religion at all and it was very informative and a nice break from planning the wedding. It gave us a chance to slow down and realise why we love each other and why we're marrying each other. If nothing else that was worth the time and minimal cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Kop On

Seems the obvious answer if you don't want to play by their rules

The church don't even play by their own rules in many cases but carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Its a hundred euro., Come off it. As said previously don't have a church ceremony then. I'm with my fiancee 14 years and I had to do one so ther is no chance of not doing it.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Kop On wrote: »
    The church don't even play by their own rules in many cases but carry on.

Well, that begs the question, why get married in a church then?

Advertisement