Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fantasy cycling infrastructure upgrades

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

This is my fault for posting to an old thread (we don't have an infrastructure mega-thread, do we?), but Deedsie's comment dates from about a year ago.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

omri wrote: »
    Not sure how many of you got a chance to cycle through Blackrock, the new wide cycle paths are brilliant, would love to see that across the entire Dublin. So thumbs up for DLRD CoCo.

It is indeed lovely, until you try and turn left up merrion avenue, then there's a pointless concrete divide between cars and bikes that spits you out right in front of the cars you have disappeared from their vision from.( ugh grammar you know what I mean!) Otherwise it is excellent.

Fantasy infrastructure wise, I would like a monorail network through Dublin, raised up above eberything except instead of trains on it It's all for bikes. With giant fans giving a permanent tailwind. And curly sliplanes on and off for entertainment/climbyness/skill maintenance and development!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

How about a few of these around Dublin, maybe one in city centre, one in East Point, one in Sandyford, one in City West etc?

Secure bike locking, lockers, shower...

http://home.bikestation.com/bikestation-santa-barbara

And a bit of the sun to go with it would be nice too.

Just noticed that a potential "fantasy" route to join the Churchtown cycle facilities to Rathmines is a non-starter because Orwell Park has a "Cycling Strictly Prohibited" sign, even though it runs almost seamlessly into Dartry Park, which merely has a "Cycle Responsibly" sign. This is a real pity. I'm sure people cycle through Orwell Park anyway, but there's potential there to provide a quiet, alternative route into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

I'd love it if they could just widen the Hearse Road out to Donabate a bit so it would be safer for cars to pass you.
    If that was so I'd consider a commute to the city centre more often ( I'd even tackle it in winter ) without the fear of possibly getting cleaned out on that road.

• Advertisement

Saw this on Twitter:

351038.png

(Top three are kilometres of carriagewaydedicated to tram, rail and bikes, the fourth is mixed-use carriageway, and the last is carriageway exclusive to motorised traffic.)

Interesting to see how much mixed-use there is, but I assume it's on lower-capacity/lower-velocity roads. Those who know more can correct me.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Seeing as this a fantasy infrastructure thread, I thought I'd post this. It's an intersection for bikes on the Danube cycling path about 100 km from Vienna. The spiral brings cyclists from an elevated road bridge which crosses the river, down to a cycle path along the river bank. I'd never seen the like of it before. Nearly got dizzy going down it.

201407%20austria%2019.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭tampopo

^^^^ Stunning, outfox, simply stunning!!!

For me, a wheel channel up the steps at the Islandbridge pedestrian gate. Surely the OPW could put something down there? Surely?

Also, no parking in cycle tracks, Advisory or not. Park on the fcuking road instead. The mayor of Vilnius got it right with his publicity stunt. It works a treat!

WP_004518_zpshqop6gxk.jpg

tampopo wrote: »
    For me, a wheel channel up the steps at the Islandbridge pedestrian gate. Surely the OPW could put something down there? Surely?

I often did wonder about that when I lived in Kilmainham. Is there a preservation order on the steps there maybe?

• Advertisement

I'll call them next week and ask.

Advertisement