Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Get City, post here when you get something new

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Is it worth picking up an MSX1?
    How much of the library can they play?
    I have a hankering for one.

Also, how do the games compare to their Famicom/Nes equivalent?

Thats some French accent you have ;)
    Thats strange about the trackball.
    Do you mean not working at all or running rough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭BGOllie

the MSX is closer, technicaly, to a colecovision really so it doesn't really compare well to a Famicom or a Master System. No hardware scrolling, sprite limitations... it was meant to be a personal computer that could also do gaming.
    Most of the MSX collection is for MSX (1) so it's a pretty safe bet, but a lot of the most iconic and best games , Metal Gear, Vampire Killer, USAS ... are for MSX2. If getting an MSX, make sure it's got 32k of ram

The MSX2 would probably be closer to the NES and Master System really.

I collect MSX1 because I'm a fan of the platform but if you've a choice, get an MSX2. It'll run a lot of MSX2+ games with limitations and there's flip all for Turbo so MSX2 is your safe bet. The Philips MSX2 VG8235 is the model I brought to the beer meeting , it comes up regularly on ebay and is relatively cheap.

Thats some French accent you have ;)
    Thats strange about the trackball.
    Do you mean not working at all or running rough ?

17 years in Ireland can leave a mark alright :)

vertical doesn't work on it. I need to look at it really. Contacts are fine but the wheel thingy (??) doesn't work. I'd say it's fixable but I'd rather have a spinner :D

It might be the optical sensor.
    if you look at the led through your camera phone it should be glowing purple.
    if not is probably failed.
    That was a crazy expensive bit of kit.
    First dibs if you're selling it ;)

• Advertisement

First dibs if you're selling it ;)

oh the irony :D

If/when I replace it, I'll give it to you, how's that ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,850 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

How much of the library can they play?
    I have a hankering for one.

Also, how do the games compare to their Famicom/Nes equivalent?

Better off getting a 2 or a 2+ although there's no real 2+ exclusives worth getting that I've seen so a 2 might do. Most MSX games are very different to their NES counterparts. The Nemesis games are very different and even metal gear is very different (which is far superior on MSX, the NES original is pish).

Might be worth getting a Japanese model because of the 50/60 Hz thing but Ollie was saying you can get modded MSX machines from a MSX forum for much better prices than ebay. Also worth checking if your machine supports RGB. My Sony one did and there's a guy from Greece selling very good quality handmade RGB cables for Sony models on ebay.

yep. check out msx.org forum for modded msx2 , good prices there too.

Metal Gear was first done on the MSX2 and is much muuuch better than the NES port (PORT!!!)
    Nemesis/Gradius games are different alright, although I would say they're much better on the NES, but Nemesis 2 is unique to the MSX (and the x6800). Nemesis 3 is actually Gradius 2.

Kings Valley II actualy has an MSX and MSX2 version. Both crazy rare :)

Activision games are pretty good, Beam Rider, River Raid, Pitfall, Keystone Kaper, Hero ... are definitely best on the MSX -if you can find them on cart (easier to find on tape) really.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Pretty cheap and kind of silly, but i wanted it :)

hysfdhdfudsfhd.jpg

asodgfasdgasgwr.jpg

jhdfdsy74yhf7dsg.jpg

They all have a little weight to them, which is nice and not expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,881 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Nice, how much?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,851 ✭✭✭Steve X2

Thargor wrote: »
    Nice, how much?

Think it was about 11-12 sterling on Amazon. Comes with a neck thingy, if you want to wear any of them.

Box closes with a magnet latch, which is nice considering it's so cheap. It's not collector quality stuff, but it's very nice for the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dr Bob wrote: »
    No pics but picked up
    Cel Damage,
    Vewtiful Joe,
    Bloody roar primal rage and,
    (yess!) Eternal Darkness 1 on the game cube at the local chariddy shop.
    IIRC you need 3-4 playthroughs of Eternal Darkness for the full experience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,850 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    IIRC you need 3-4 playthroughs of Eternal Darkness for the full experience.

It was a chore though. Nothing changed at all except the ending and maybe the last boss the final time you went through it. In retrospect it's kind of a terrible game saved by the atmosphere and writing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,533 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

It seems I only like bad games as I really liked Eternal Darkness.
    This former point may well only be a surprise to myself :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭safetyboy

gngbl1.jpg

thanks to the brownfinger

Splashdown 2 for the PS2 arrived today and, before the films this evening, I'm just out of CEX where I picked up Anarchy Reigns, PS3, Super Streetfighter IV Arcade Edition, also PS3, and King of Fighters XII for the 360, not too bad, the last being a region free title and an Asian import.
    Thing is, they also have a hori real arcade pro ex stick, but I'm not sure if its worth getting.
    Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

is CeX the new Tesco?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

is CeX the new Tesco?

Exact same, only without the trollies.

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    Splashdown 2 for the PS2 arrived today and, before the films this evening, I'm just out of CEX where I picked up Anarchy Reigns, PS3, Super Streetfighter IV Arcade Edition, also PS3, and King of Fighters XII for the 360, not too bad, the last being a region free title and an Asian import.
    Thing is, they also have a hori real arcade pro ex stick, but I'm not sure if its worth getting.
    Any ideas?
    This one?
    http://sdtekken.com/tech-area/arcade-sticks/hori-real-arcade-pro-ex-us-ver-360/

Good stick/case, buttons aren't arcade-spec but easy to replace.
    Can't remember off-hand if the board is common-ground but probably not.

Only niggle about the old HRAP case is that the bolts have nuts on the inside (you'd want something like these HRAP Top-Loaders for regular maintenance).

I have a Hori wireless stick and its lovely to use but pairing it up and batteries is a drag, I also have one of the XE2 wired sticks which is much better.
    This would be a decent buy and, with the right drivers, perfect for the PC too.

• Advertisement

Nipped back in before having to run back to family commitments!
    The stick is magnificent and heavy!
    And a good deal at €30.
    Also, as a bonus, nipped into Gamestop to see if a mate was working and I picked up a copy of Linerunner for the DS for a euro.
    Happy days.

Nipped back in before having to run back to family commitments!
    The stick is magnificent and heavy!
    And a good deal at €30.
    Also, as a bonus, nipped into Gamestop to see if a mate was working and I picked up a copy of Linerunner for the DS for a euro.
    Happy days.
    €30!? You bloody robbed them!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

safetyboy wrote: »
    gngbl1.jpg

thanks to the brownfinger

I've that exact board too, great game and plays 100%

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    €30!? You bloody robbed them!

Yeah, I looked online at the prices, they sold new for savage money and, even now, go for a few bob, near €100, although I have seen them for as little as €65 in the auctions though, as they are heavy yokes, the postage would push that price closer to the ton/tonne.
    So €30/isn't bad at all for the stick.

Yeah, I looked online at the prices, they sold new for savage money and, even now, go for a few bob, near €100, although I have seen them for as little as €65 in the auctions though, as they are heavy yokes, the postage would push that price closer to the ton/tonne.

A new Sanwa JLF is €25-odd by itself... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭airmax87

Player1 in maynooth, was suprised to see puzzle fighter there.
    I already have the alpha anthology but its nice to have this one to play in 240p.
    I was going to buy MVC2 for xbox for the craic but I already have it on PS2.

925962_1622524194684993_1863453787_n.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭Doge

I Reckon they confused the price with that of the EX2 which also goes for €30:

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SX360HORIFSEX201#.VaPomD6COrU

The Pro Ex goes for €80 on their site!

https://ie.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SX360HORARPROEX001#.VaPpFz6COrU

Hooray for me!
    Hooray for a stick I will probably never appreciate!
    Hooray!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,954 ✭✭✭Doge

Hooray for me!
    Hooray for a stick I will probably never appreciate!
    Hooray!

Hooray for a stick you'll sell next week!
    Hooray! :pac:

• Advertisement

Doge wrote: »
    Hooray for a stick you'll sell next week!
    Hooray! :pac:

Don't be silly.
    It'll be the week after.
    And for twice what I paid for it.
    To you.
    Hooray for capitalism!

Actually, better still, I could walk back in there and get €48 credit for it, after paying €30 for it from that very shop.
    Tee hee, giggle....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement