Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated GRO

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭VicWynne

It's yet another thing that really bugs me about RootsIreland... Just make sure you save it - I usually print it to a pdf file...

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

pjproby wrote: »
    At the very least, one of them, should issue a comprehensive statement, explaining the issue.

Interesting letter in the Irish Times on Saturday from the Press Office of the Department of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht

Provides some clarification on the issues

www.irishtimes.com/debate/letters/genealogy-and-protecting-data-1.1878388

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

But had that editorial not been published in the first place on the 23rd July, the Department would still have remained silent. Still no explanation on the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

J Grenham has a piece in today's IT

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

Very unhappy about losing the civil records :mad:
    I'm delighted I grabbed what I could while we still had access.

I managed to find a birth record for my GG Grandfather but unfortunately didn't keep the details so I can order the cert. Any kind soul able to help me find details for Michael Evans born Dublin 1881 ? Parents are James and Kate. He is not showing up in the Church records

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Rox_88

jos28 wrote: »
    Very unhappy about losing the civil records :mad:
    I'm delighted I grabbed what I could while we still had access.

I managed to find a birth record for my GG Grandfather but unfortunately didn't keep the details so I can order the cert. Any kind soul able to help me find details for Michael Evans born Dublin 1881 ? Parents are James and Kate. He is not showing up in the Church records

This is the only one I can find:

First Name Michael
    Last Name Evans
    Year 1881
    Registered Quarter/Year Jan - Mar 1881
    Registration District Dublin North
    Volume 2
    Page 533

Thanks a million Rox. I suspect that might be this Michael Evans which unfortunately not the one I am looking for. I suppose it's worth ordering the cert either way

http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/73e4470199222

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Rox_88

I noticed when I searched that there was also a death record for Michael Evans b.1881, d.1883 in North Dublin so more than likely the same child and definitely not your GG Grandfather :/

Rox_88 wrote: »
    I noticed when I searched that there was also a death record for Michael Evans b.1881, d.1883 in North Dublin so more than likely the same child and definitely not your GG Grandfather :/

Great detective work there Rox and much appreciated. Good news for me but certainly not for the poor child. Thanks for all your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Has there still been no official government statement as regards the online indexes? What the heck are they doing? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Now, now! At least they're being consistent.:(

Genealogy Forum Mod

Consistently silent!

Hermy wrote: »
    Now, now! At least they're being consistent.:(

Yes, and will remain consistent until they return from holidays in mid September.:rolleyes:

Oh flip!

This wait is so annoying. It's like giving a child a toy on Christmas Day and taking it back on Stephen's Day !
    There we were, all having fun filling in the gaps in our trees and now - nothing !
    Can they at least put the database back online with date restrictions until they sort the mess out.
    Any ideas who we could bombard with emails/letters to get it moving again ?

I skimmed through what Grenham wote - it appears it is a Data Protection issue so it will involve that office and from the Govt side the Attorney General's office, along with legions of civil servants and 'experts'. A$$ covering at its worst, at a time when the country is trying to develop a genealogical tourist industry.

I have a contact in the Data Protection Office, must make a phone call to see what's happening ;)

I skimmed through what Grenham wote - it appears it is a Data Protection issue so it will involve that office and from the Govt side the Attorney General's office, along with legions of civil servants and 'experts'. A$$ covering at its worst, at a time when the country is trying to develop a genealogical tourist industry.

Whoda guessed!

jos28 wrote: »
    This wait is so annoying. It's like giving a child a toy on Christmas Day and taking it back on Stephen's Day...

It's more like telling a child a week before Christmas that they might get a toy sometime soon and then months and months and months pass before the toy appears suddenly only to disappear again just as suddenly.

The worst thing about it is that I had all this information on screen and I didn't think to save some of my searches. Quite a number of the surnames I'm researching are not that common so it would have been practical to do so.

Genealogy Forum Mod

It's more like telling a child a week before Christmas that they might get a toy sometime soon and then months and months and months pass before the toy appears suddenly only to disappear again just as suddenly...

Now just what do you think that child would do under those circumstances? Scream the house down! Lets! Who should we write (scream) to then? Which department, minister, whatever? Oh yeah, they're all on their holidays now, aren't they, so the child cools down in a few months! :mad:

• Advertisement

The worst thing about it is that I had all this information on screen and I didn't think to save some of my searches. Quite a number of the surnames I'm researching are not that common so it would have been practical to do so.

Me too :mad:
    I just saved the URLS and a fat lot of good they are now !

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    ...so the child cools down in a few months! :mad:

Except we still have those awful Captcha's to remind us of the whole mess!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

there's a small plus side to the changes that I dont think was mentioned, I think it's recent - they modified the image screens so that it's easier to 'browse' the register images. They previous images were direct pdf links so you had to modify the url to browse to see previous/next pages, or look for the intro pages in the register, now it's easier. They copied my method for browsing directories etc...!!

316744.jpg

shanew wrote: »
    there's a small plus side to the changes that I dont think was mentioned, I think it's recent - they modified the image screens so that it's easier to 'browse' the register images. They previous images were direct pdf links so you had to modify the url to browse to see previous/next pages, or look for the intro pages in the register, now it's easier. They copied my method for browsing directories etc...!!

316744.jpg

Wow did not spot that, that is brilliant! Thanks for pointing it out.

Well yeah that is good, but why only images for Dublin, and none for Kerry? very frustrating. The sooner that new bill gets through the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭blue banana

mod9maple wrote: »
    Well yeah that is good, but why only images for Dublin, and none for Kerry? very frustrating. The sooner that new bill gets through the better.

My understanding of this, is that the Dept of Arts, Heritage and the Gaeltacht needed to purchase the microfilms from the NLI in order to computerise the records, for example, for Dublin and Cork & Ross. I don't think they obtained the microfilms for the Diocese of Kerry as these records had already been indexed and computerised by a FÁS project in Killarney and therefore were not computerised from microfilm in Bangladesh like most of the other records on irishgenealogy.ie. Evidence that microfilm was not used for Kerry is also clear by the fact that the records for some Kerry parishes go up to 1910/1911, much later than the 1880 date of the microfilms.

I don't know if the Department ever intend on making the microfilm images available for Kerry.

Every time I see a new post in here I think its good news about the civil records! :(

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Every time I see a new post in here I think its good news about the civil records! :(

Me too! Obviously no "quick fix" on the cards!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Any news on this? Surely it can't take that long to edit the site so that only searches before 1914 show up?

• Advertisement

BigCon wrote: »
    Any news on this? Surely it can't take that long to edit the site so that only searches before 1914 show up?

Aren't all the decision makers on their hols?

Advertisement