Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Updated GRO

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The CLDS copy of the data was taken out of the state before any concept of data protection existed; and is held outside the state. Nothing *could* be done, thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Is the church records section of the Irish Genealogy website not working for anyone else? Tried it from multiple places over the last week and while the search page will appear once I enter a query the results never load. Refreshing doesn't work either.

Tried it just now and not working for me either!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Tried it just now and not working for me either!
    Working for me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Is the church records section of the Irish Genealogy website not working for anyone else? Tried it from multiple places over the last week and while the search page will appear once I enter a query the results never load. Refreshing doesn't work either.

working ok for me, but needs a few hard refreshes - cancel page load, hold down shift and reload/refresh. I think caching of either the google or recapchta api might be the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭cnoc

MYOB wrote: »
    The CLDS copy of the data was taken out of the state before any concept of data protection existed; and is held outside the state. Nothing *could* be done, thankfully.

+1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 cat_r

Claire Santry has posted an update. Seems there's not much holding back a revised index release.
    (Sorry, as a newbie, I can't post the link.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

cat_r wrote: »
    Claire Santry has posted an update. Seems there's not much holding back a revised index release.
    (Sorry, as a newbie, I can't post the link.)

Welcome to Boards cat.:)

Here be the link.Too slow!

Seems like good news all the same.

Genealogy Forum Mod

We are all waiting on pins and needles for this! I am hoping that the problems on the site are due to them uploading the information.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Church records on irishgenealogy.ie down this morning? Can anyone else get in?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

MYOB wrote: »
    The 100/75/50 (Births/Marriages/Deaths) used by ScotlandsPeople for full records seems to have been picked up on for the proposal for what will eventually return for the indexes

If this is the case then will the indexes be of any real use? What will they offer over the existing FamilySearch records?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ponster wrote: »
    If this is the case then will the indexes be of any real use? What will they offer over the existing FamilySearch records?

A few years more deaths, more mother's maiden names and some matched marriages. As well as likely a new release every January

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Waitsian

I was wondering the other day about how this Bill was progressing through the Dáil and the Seanad and if I'm reading this correctly it's officially been passed as law.

http://www.jgstoronto.ca/index.php/our-society-mainmenu-43/announcements-mainmenu-30/1176-ireland-civil-registration-amendment-act-2014-becomes-law-x

So when can we expect the records online? Spring, summer, autumn? Xmas?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,911 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

edit : need coffee....

Wouldn't we already have heard about this if it was the case ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 familyseeker

Its on the Oireachtas website under Bills 1997 - 2015 and at the bottom it does say:

Enacted as Act Number 34 of 2014
    Date of Signature: 04/12/2014

I guess the furore about the water charges just eclipses everything right now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Yes, I'm pretty sure that was reported as being law now. I think Claire Santry had something on her blog about it.

Incidentally, I notice a new link on the irishgenealogy home page - the link doesn't work at the moment but it surely indicates activity?

The website is home to the on-line Indexes of the Civil Registers (GRO) of Births, Marriages, Civil Partnerships and Deaths

Genealogy Forum Mod

This is what John Grenham wrote in January:
    The Civil Registration (Amendment) Act 2014 passed into law in December. It is now, at last, legal for the State to allow access to full registration records. Hallelujah. As in Northern Ireland, this will be restricted to births over 100 years old, marriages over 75 and deaths over 50. Be patient. This is just the first step in the process, so we won’t get them this year.

What we will get this year – on irishgenealogy.ie – is the return of the Civil Registration indexes. Expect uber-caution, and searches unnecessarily restricted to the same year- range as above. The site’s small print may also demand you pledge your first-born to the Data Protection Commission.

Won't get them this year he reckons. If that turns out to be true I'd be seriously disappointed. Aren't they already scanned? What would hold them up? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

I don't have time to see if this is still the position but commencement order needed

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2015-02-05a.45

Civil BMD Index page is back in action on the Irish Genealogy website : http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie

looks like 100/75/50 year cutoff, dob and mother's maiden names on births go back to at least 1907 1900..

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭dido2

This link is working, http://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/agreement.jsp

I had been using an old saved link to it and it wasn't working but on going to the main website it works that way

it's at the same domain as before but not linked to the main IrishGenealogy menu, and at least one of the links at the top still mentions test - and one of the browse links goes to the church records by mistake, but if you stick to the link I or dido2 posted, both the basic and advanced search are working fine - for me at least

shanew wrote: »
    it's at the same domain as before but not linked to the main IrishGenealogy menu, and at least one of the links at the top still mentions test - and one of the browse links goes to the church records by mistake, but if you stick to the link I or dido2 posted, both the basic and advanced search are working fine - for me at least

Yeah it's working fine for me. I finally got the birth date of my Nan's eldest sister. Nice to see it up and running. I see that on the record I just mentioned that her mother's maiden name is given. Is the case with all the birth records?

mod9maple wrote: »
    ...I see that on the record I just mentioned that her mother's maiden name is given. Is the case with all the birth records?

dob and mother's maiden name back to 1900 at least .. the original index books have this detail from the late 1920s, but the GRO staff added to the books for records back to abt1904, and they seem to have added a few more since

shanew wrote: »
    dob and mother's maiden name back to 1900 at least .. the original index books have this detail from the late 1920s, but the GRO staff added to the books for records back to abt1904, and they seem to have added a few more since

Hmmm. I only ask because the birth of which I speak was registered in 1890, in Newry. Others I've seen from that time period have the mother's maiden name as N/R. Maybe I just got lucky!

I have some memory that records that were called up for reprints (full not genealogy copies) had all the details transcribed so there's odd records going back with matched marriages, mother's maiden names etc. May be an inaccurate memory though

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭KildareFan

Got it working - and then it stopped. problem loading page.... can't get back into it. Is someone out there fiddling with the site on an easter monday?

Thank you Shane. Well, all I can say is.........Woo Hoo!!

And off I go again. :)

KildareFan wrote: »
    Got it working - and then it stopped. problem loading page.... can't get back into it. Is someone out there fiddling with the site on an easter monday?

I think it's still being finalized - the menus etc on the other parts of the system still dont link up, but it's still working from here ok. There will probably be an official re-launch after it's all tidied up

• Advertisement

A tip for anyone not familiar. When searching for Dublin unless you know the exact district you have to search Dublin, Dublin North and Dublin South separately. Just entering Dublin doesn't automatically give you North and South.

Advertisement